Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tifosi too!

Human Error After All...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news...022220432.shtml

Lewis Hamilton has admitted that his bid for this year's Formula One Championship seemingly came to an end during the last race of the season following a moment of human error.

"My finger slipped on the steering wheel and I accidentally pressed the button used for the starting sequence," Hamilton confided several hours after the event, according to Montreal's French-language daily newspaper La Presse.

That error cut power to his McLaren for an interminable minute, dropping him down to 18th place as the Brazilian Grand Prix entered its eighth lap on the Interlagos circuit.

"The car went into neutral and I had to reinitialize the system, that is, reload the gearbox management program," he explained. The onboard camera recorded images of Hamilton pressing several buttons on his steering wheel while other drivers sped by.

Once his McLaren car was back up to speed, Hamilton would afterwards work his way back up to seventh place, two positions away from the necessary number of points that would have allowed him to be the first rookie World Champion.

However, his title chances might not yet be over: the McLaren team has announced it will appeal the stewards' decision not to sanction the BMW Sauber and Williams teams for possibly using 'cool fuel' during the Brazilian GP, claiming that precise information was not available.

If the FIA's Court of Appeal were to overturn the decision and sanction both teams with exclusion, that would remove drivers Nico Rosberg, Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld from the rankings and allow Lewis Hamilton to jump from seventh to fourth position in the race's final standings - thereby giving him enough points to become the 2007 World Champion.

While McLaren have declared their motive is to support their drivers' best interests, Hamilton himself does not at all feel comfortable with the procedure.

"Being promoted after some people have been thrown out is not the way I want to do it," he told Reuters.

His thoughts also went to Ferrari driver and provisional title holder Kimi Raikkonen: "To have it taken away is a bit cruel and probably not good for the sport."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article says it all! It was a mistake and I don't really think it takes any of LH's achievements away anyway! It's good on him to confess it! Probably a relief to his fans as well!!

Even more interesting are his comments about winning the title by means of a FIA decision. Good for him! Now that made me respect him a bit more.

Hamilton has pride, even if McLaren doesn't. Sometimes I wonder just really how close the team and Hamilton's interests have been this year...

Even more interesting are his comments about winning the title by means of a FIA decision. Good for him! Now that made me respect him a bit more.

Yes indeed! He could have said " I expect justice to be served and the cheating ( for argument sake) teams to be punished and their drivers disqualified" but that would mean he is throwing stones while standing on his glass balcony, even though there won't be any further punishment for Mclaren. It was a very strong statement nevertheless!!

Schumacher won a title deliberately punting Hill off the track and even won a WDC in the pits, so a win is a win regardless of how it is won - Ethics and morals are for wimps

:rolleyes:

I'm amazed they have a button which does that. Seems like asking for trouble.

Good of him to admit it.

Schumacher won a title deliberately punting Hill off the track and even won a WDC in the pits, so a win is a win regardless of how it is won - Ethics and morals are for wimps

Then I guess blackmailing your team boss is only natural, and blocking your teamate in the pits shows how macho you are. :lol:

Yup.

Then I guess blackmailing your team boss is only natural, and blocking your teamate in the pits shows how macho you are. :lol:

:lol:

Damn. Can't believe this is how Lewis lost it! Ah well, I hope he has earned some respect from being totally honest. Next year beckons...

My thoughts exactly.

I'm amazed they have a button which does that. Seems like asking for trouble.

Good of him to admit it.

They need the starting sequence button, but you would think it would be disarmed after the start to prevent such a mistake from happening. What

That report is fake. Mclaren and Lewis have denied he ever said anything like that, which is why it hasn't been reported on reputable websites.

Just because LH said he doesn't think it would be fair to strip Kimi of the WDC, don't think for a minute he wouldn't take it if offered to him. He's already on record as saying he didn't think winning the WDC in light of him driving for a team who was found to be cheating illegal. Why on earth would he have a problem with winning the WDC on a fuel situation? Public backlash that's why. People love Kimi. He's paid his dues, delt with years of bad luck and horrid cars, and finally wins an amazing WDC. LH isn't worried about that, he's worried about his own image if he's seen to have willingly taken the WDC via appeal.

On one of the websites, I read LH was up for hours waiting in his hotel room for the result of the fuel situation. He's an opportunist and a very clever one at that. What else is he going to say if he wants the public opinion of him to remain as being an "honest" fellow.

That report is fake. Mclaren and Lewis have denied he ever said anything like that, which is why it hasn't been reported on reputable websites.

Some of media need to wake the #@# up. The reporting is nothing short of a joke. I read the itv report where Ron said he was still unaware of what caused the problem then I read this thread, and thought it all sounded a bit fishy. But there you go you can't believe many websites can you?

Interesting but needed. If it were true that Hamilton had said that, it would mean that McLaren had lied about the clutch problems.

Schumacher won a WDC in the pits

Really? I'm sure you are referring to the British grand prix of '98? He didn't take the title there did he? (Someone had better tell Mika, if he did!)

The nerve of RD claiming LH lost the title due to a gearbox problem. I even remember him blaiming LH's puncture on Bridgestone ... I can't remember which race.

The nerve of RD claiming LH lost the title due to a gearbox problem. I even remember him blaiming LH's puncture on Bridgestone ... I can't remember which race.

Ron blamed the puncture on tyres in General, not pointing on bridgestone alone. Anything could have caused punctures. I can't remember which I site.

Interesting but needed. If it were true that Hamilton had said that, it would mean that McLaren had lied about the clutch problems.

Mclaren have shown this year they more than willing to LIE about a lot of things!!!

Mclaren have shown this year they more than willing to LIE about a lot of things!!!

Welcome back Wez, not seen you for ages, unless I have just keep missing you.

You mean they didn't lie before this year ?? :eusa_think::lol: