Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tifosi too!

Human Error After All...

Welcome back Wez, not seen you for ages, unless I have just keep missing you.

You mean they didn't lie before this year ?? :eusa_think::lol:

Thanks mate, yeah I've been lying low:)

I don't understand why anyone needs to go to any other website since autosport is now free????

Me neither, I always use Autosport, a little slow, but reliable & balanced (usually).

Mclaren have shown this year they more than willing to LIE about a lot of things!!!

:clap3::clap3: :clap3:

Welcome back Wez. But I will never agree with you! :P

Sorry about the wrong link!! :unsure:

I must have been tired, i quess :eusa_think: !! Since yesterday it's rather amazing how this story has changed! All websites report it with the "actual quotes" yet nobody officially confirmed it, neither did Lewis spoke again to clarify things! At first all the stories to the opposite were making references to an older statement by Ron Dennis, saying it was a glitch:

Dennis denies Hamilton finger trouble

Tuesday 23 Oktober at 13:15 : Ron Dennis has denied that finger trouble cost Lewis Hamilton the 2007 world championship.

Hamilton, whose McLaren dropped through the field last Sunday when his gearbox slipped into neutral, reportedly told the French newspaper La Presse that he accidentally pressed a wrong button on his steering wheel.

The Briton's claim is backed by on-board camera footage that depicts Hamilton's left thumb as pressing a button before he slowed.

But Dennis is on Tuesday quoted as saying: "There was nothing that Lewis did that had any relevance to the gearbox."

Team boss Dennis speculates that the problem may have been caused by a faulty sensor, but insisted that it was a mechanical rather than human glitch.

"The only reason that we did not win the world championship was the gearbox problem," Dennis told reporters.

Hamilton, who had to pause an interview with reporters in his Sao Paulo hotel room on Monday afternoon to throw up, called the incident a "small hiccup" that cost him a place in F1's record books.

"But I didn't wake up this morning thinking 'oh shoot'," he added. "I've just got to get on with it."

Not very convincing though and then came the next wave of statements:

Hamilton Gearbox Glitch Not Driver Error, McLaren Says

McLaren has rejected published reports suggesting that Lewis Hamilton

It could be the case Hamilton said it, then Ron, after finding out he said it, covered his rookie mistake by still blaming it on the gearbox. And yes, it is a bit dodgy it was fine for the rest of the race... Either way, I don't think we'll ever find out the truth if Ron's covering it up.

I don't think there was a cover-up. The damage is done in terms of Hamilton's media image- Ron has nothing to gain by changing the story.

In any case I still don't buy that there is a magic button on the wheel which turns everything off.

gud that lewis admitted....but i believe he still hopes for the appeal to turn in favor of him....and the words told to media as if he doesnt want title this way is just a joke....

during the race my only concern was these three gr8 people kubica,rosberg and nick shudnt take each other out and retire....now this fuel appeal i believe will be dismissed by FIA or WMSC or any other council ...

Even more interesting are his comments about winning the title by means of a FIA decision. Good for him! Now that made me respect him a bit more.

Well he couldn't have said anything else could he now ?

There is another thread here that had a youtube video showing Hamilton's fingers hitting the button. That thread also had a map of the McLaren steering wheel showing the buttons in question. Hamilton did indeed hit the wrong button and McLaren's press releases are damage control.

EDIT: I also believe that FOM has been quick to remove that video from youtube...nice.

EDIT: I also believe that FOM has been quick to remove that video from youtube...nice.

God love 'em.

The clip simply shows Lewis hitting one of the buttons - The precise effect of hitting that button is unknown and I would argue that any F1 team is not stupid as to place a button that could disable the gearbox next to the frequently used drink button.

The clip only shows an action it does not demonstrate the effect as only the team know.

From what I can gather this theory is only being discussed on this forum and by Nando sympathisers - None of the F1 press or those in the know are even discussing this ridiculous theory. The Canadian journalist has already admitted to mischief making so why is it still be discussed on here :unsure:

You guys need to think laterally, if you can -

There is no way an f1 car would have a button that would disable the gearbox next to the frequently used drink button. The buttons are so small and the drivers wear gloves, so the chances of a finger slipping is very high - Do you think F1 designers are that stupid.

If anything, those that believe this story are the stupid ones.

<_<

There is another thread here that had a youtube video showing Hamilton's fingers hitting the button. That thread also had a map of the McLaren steering wheel showing the buttons in question. Hamilton did indeed hit the wrong button and McLaren's press releases are damage control.

So based on that clip and a diagram of Lewis Steering wheel you have concluded that the cause of the gearbox malfunction was what exactly?

Your answer will be a guess because you don't know the effect pressing that button (next to the drink button) would have at 150+ MPH.

So based on that clip and a diagram of Lewis Steering wheel you have concluded that the cause of the gearbox malfunction was what exactly?

Your answer will be a guess because you don't know the effect pressing that button (next to the drink button) would have at 150+ MPH.

It surely didn't give him any drinks.

View the clip and listen to the engine revs before and after the button-pushing.

A leading Formula One journalist has apologised to McLaren for a quote wrongly attributed to Lewis Hamilton, autosport.com has learned.

Hamilton was quoted by Montreal's newspaper La Presse as admitting he himself caused the gearbox problem, which saw him drop from sixth to 18th at the early stages of the Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday.

Veteran Formula One journalist Luc Domenjoz' report from the event included a direct quote from Hamilton himself, saying he had pressed the wrong button by mistake on his steering wheel, putting the car into neutral.

The report was immediately quoted by numerous Internet websites and was seen as proof that Hamilton cracked under the pressure of the world championship finale.

However, Domenjoz yesterday admitted that he did not talk to Hamilton and explained that he relied on information he heard in conversation with other journalists, who in turn were quoting what Hamilton had supposedly said to his engineers.

The highly respected Frenchman further explained that he was under deadline constraints and did not have a chance to verify the information with Hamilton himself or with McLaren.

When approached by autosport.com, Domenjoz said: "my mistake was using a quote by Lewis when I did not talk to him myself. I had other verifiable information and I stand by my report, but under the time pressure I made a mistake by using that quote."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63645

Also, look at how he slowed up just after pressing that button. Here's a quote by Ron Dennis:

Previously, team boss Ron Dennis claimed that the gearbox fault was a team error: "There was an incorrect command given to the system," Dennis told reporters. "That fault, why did the system get an incorrect command, we don't know yet. It could be a sensor."

pitpass.com

An incorrect command given by Lewis.

EDIT: Certainly all we have are guesses, but if a chicken is found crushed beneath an anvil, we can guess (correctly) that the anvil fell on the chicken.

Also, look at how he slowed up just after pressing that button. Here's a quote by Ron Dennis:

pitpass.com

An incorrect command given by Lewis.

EDIT: Certainly all we have are guesses, but if a chicken is found crushed beneath an anvil, we can guess (correctly) that the anvil fell on the chicken.

I still cant see how the pitlane limiter could be 'live' during a race and how other drivers have not made the same mistake - The buttons are so close together that one can reasonably expect a similar occurrence throughout a 17 race seasons, the number of practice laps and testing laps that the Mclaren drivers have done.

I don't buy it - It just seems like another hamilton bashing thread to me

I just picked this up on the ITV.com website;

Just had a look and it does look clearer than the stills I've seen before. However, is he pressing the buttons before or after the car starts to slow? I can't believe it was the pit lane limiter as that causes the brake light to flash, this did not happen, I have seen a clear video of the car slowing with no brake light.

As it is unclear whereabouts in the incident this took place I think it is more likely that he is pressing buttons in the order directed by the engineers to solve the problem.

Only LH and his race engineers know the truth