Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cristiano84

Mclaren: Why Not Bourdais?

If I were McLaren I would make a bid to buy out Sebastien Bourdais contract with Toro Rosso. It would be cheaper than buying out Rosberg contract and a Hamilton-Bourdais pairing would be fantastic for me. I've just watched Sebastien race at Surfers Paradise...it was amazing! A driver of Sebastien's calibre and age would deserve more than Toro Rosso (where he would end up being beaten by baby Vettel due to F.1 inexperience and internal Red Bull politics), give him a McLaren and let's see what he can do with a proper F.1 car!!

Interesting point.

McLaren would essentially be pairing two very inexperienced drivers in the F1 sense of inexperience that is, we all know Bourdais experience with Champ cars but F1 is a different kettle of fish all together especially in a top car like the McLaren. Another thing is, Bourdais has hardly been awesomely quick in the testing he has done thus far. I know it's only early days but still, I don't think he is a consideration should a McLaren race seat become available.

Anyway, I think he will match Vettel by the mid season, but I doubt weather he will blow Vettel into the weeds.

Anyway, I think he will match Vettel by the mid season, but I doubt weather he will blow Vettel into the weeds.

i think Vettel will have the upper hand in the whole season...

Me too. It's gonna be great to watch things unfold next year for those two!

Me too. It's gonna be great to watch things unfold next year for those two!

I'm hoping that Bourdais will go ok because I like the thought of Will Power having a chance of moving to F1 from the CCWS in a few years time. I fear if Bourdais is a flop and gets comprehensively beaten by Vettel in 08 it will be the last time teams will look at the CCWS for drivers / test drivers baring a freak driver like let

Well Bourdais is a Frenchman, but I fear that he may have become too used to the American way of life/Racing.

Where in F1 you become used to the European way of life, the European way of Racing and the European way of Politics and the European Cars.

He could easily become another Zanardi.

sweep the Lower categories in Europe then when his career stalled, go to America to start your career again and then when F1 comes knocking, you wont have an answer because you cant remember the politics involved at the top level.

Like also Andretti, he got Farmed out because of the politics.

If Bourdais can handle the politics, i think he should go ok, he has the talent to go just fine.

i dont have details abt bourdias but looks like mika has tipped nico rosberg

Williams chiefs are not even contemplating letting Nico Rosberg depart to McLaren for the 2008 season.

That is the insistence of the Grove-based team's co-owner and engineering boss Patrick Head, who addressed increasing speculation that the 22-year-old German would be an ideal replacement for Fernando Alonso next year.

Rosberg is under contract to Williams for 2008, but some have suggested that McLaren's interest might be an excellent source of income for the independent team.

"I don't think Rosberg's departure would be the death of the team but, as a competitive force, until we find somebody who could replace Nico, it would certainly be difficult," Head is quoted as saying.

"It's something neither Frank (Williams) or myself is even contemplating.

Cliquez ici...

"

Head's comments follow the visit to Interlagos of McLaren's last World Champion Mika Hakkinen, who told Finnish commercial television MTV3 that it is very unlikely Alonso will stay at the team in 2008.

The Finn, still a close friend of Ron Dennis, specifically mentioned Rosberg, who he said would be a "great driver for McLaren."

McLaren should bet for Pedro de la Rosa. It would be the best option to make a team with both talent and experience. And they have him at home, they could spend the money hiring a promising driver for the next couple of years.

It's a no brainer for me - Retain Alonso as equal No:1 and let the sparks continue - I think Alonso will be more motivated next year and will want to beat Lewis on equal terms .

Alonso & Lewis would be a the dream pairing

McLaren should bet for Pedro de la Rosa. It would be the best option to make a team with both talent and experience. And they have him at home, they could spend the money hiring a promising driver for the next couple of years.

De La Rosa is 36 years old and no more than good-but-average and in my opinon would only be destroyed by Hamilton. Alonso is the best driver in F.1 and if he's going to be replaced it has to be with someone who definitley has got bags of talent to pushg the team forward

It's a no brainer for me - Retain Alonso as equal No:1 and let the sparks continue - I think Alonso will be more motivated next year and will want to beat Lewis on equal terms .

yeah i would be a dream pairing for all ferrari fans :naughty:

Actually this isn't such a bad idea! But will this happen? Is McRon ready to have FA for another year and is FA ready not to ignore his boss?

mclaren list in this order

first choice - rosberg

2- sutil

3 - bourdais

4 - liuzzi

5 - ralf

having 2 rookies in a car is not such a good idea...

so that leaves only liuzzi and ralf...

Nico: Frank is refusing to leave him

Why not Bourdais?

Too big of a risk. With Lewis, you knew you were getting a future star. Bourdais, not so much. He had some impressive rivals last year, but the other 3...not so much. Paul Tracy's getting on in years, Wilson's an F1 reject, as is Doornbos, and Power's the man but not F1 material.

Also, Bourdais a whiner. Sure, that didn't stop them from hiring Lewis and Fernando, but nobody likes Bourdais.

Oh, and forgot:

ABOVE ALL, HIS MANAGER IS NICOLAS TODT, SON OF JEAN TODT, MANAGER OF FELIPE MASSA.

having 2 rookies in a car is not such a good idea...

so that leaves only liuzzi and ralf...

lewis wont be a rookie next year, neither will sutil.

lewis wont be a rookie next year, neither will sutil.

Sutil has a contract with FI and i am pretty sure they won't sell it...

Lewis is not that well experianced to have him and another newish driver to setup the car well... It would be better to get a more experianced no 2 driver and help Lewis win...

Nah, Sutil has come out a few times saying that he's been talking to other teams and he wants to be in a winning car. I don't think he'd be saying that kinda stuff if he knew for sure there was no way he could leave - there's no point getting the bosses offside for nothing.

Why not Anthony Davidson?

Why not Anthony Davidson?
Because Davidson has yet to do anything remotely impressive. Call it bad luck but he scored zero points this year and, whilst he often had the measure of Taku he never actually delivered on it, either getting tangled up with someone or just fading away in the race. I don't think he's even arguably on Jenson's level and I wouldn't say Jenson deserves a Mclaren drive either.

Sutil has a contract with FI and i am pretty sure they won't sell it...

Lewis is not that well experianced to have him and another newish driver to setup the car well... It would be better to get a more experianced no 2 driver and help Lewis win...

im not sure about that, he has de la rosa to give him tips too.

If I were McLaren I would make a bid to buy out Sebastien Bourdais contract with Toro Rosso. It would be cheaper than buying out Rosberg contract and a Hamilton-Bourdais pairing would be fantastic for me. I've just watched Sebastien race at Surfers Paradise...it was amazing! A driver of Sebastien's calibre and age would deserve more than Toro Rosso (where he would end up being beaten by baby Vettel due to F.1 inexperience and internal Red Bull politics), give him a McLaren and let's see what he can do with a proper F.1 car!!

Impressing in champcar means nothing in F1. Look at Zanardi. F1 is a whole different kettle of fish!

As mentioned by others, there are other drivers who would be much safer than taking another massive gamble (Lewis was a gamble but it paid off)

yeah i would be a dream pairing for all ferrari fans :naughty: j/k

I guess if aloso decides to stay on McLaren he has to satisfied with a no 2 status. he was claiming no 1 status telling that he is a double champ so he should get it. Mclaren believes in policy of giving numbers or not is a different matter altogather.

Now in this season Hamilton finished ahead of Alonso so according to the logic used by alonso as neither of the driver won the WDC the one ahead in championship should get no 1 status... :eusa_think:

I say, why not someone like Webber?