Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cristiano84

Mclaren: Why Not Bourdais?

I think Webber and Button make the most sense. They're experienced, and everybody who knows anything knows they're only missing out on results because of reliability and a poor chassis.

Plus, I think there's a fair chance they'd be putting in strong results but not quite matching Hamilton's pace, which would be perfect for McLaren - let's face it, now that Lewis is such a huge commodity for them, the equality thing must be pretty annoying.

Personally, I like MW at Red Bull and it'd be sad to see him go. But equally he's being robbed of wins because we just can't keep the pace yet. His career is winding down and he deserves to have the big trophy after all these years. Button is problematic - an all British team is a bit too nationalistic for the European flavour of Formula 1. A lot of people hate McLaren now for being overly British (associating the team with tabloid media and all the perceieved faults of England). If the driver line up was Hamilton/Button, surely that'd only get worse.

I worry that Mclaren may be forced to have Alonso or Pedro De La Rosa with the Santander groups backing. As their deal will surely demand a Spannish driver occupies the seat...

I would love to See Rosberg, Sutil, or to some degree Bourdais. Just I worry a lot about the inexperience, the car needs to be developed, retaining Alonso would be a move in the right direction.

I worry that Mclaren may be forced to have Alonso or Pedro De La Rosa with the Santander groups backing. As their deal will surely demand a Spannish driver occupies the seat...

Santander can't be THAT focused on Spanish marketing; they sponsored the British Grand Prix.

Scott Speed will join Lewis, I think it's obvious. All other speculation is quite useless.

Nah, Sutil has come out a few times saying that he's been talking to other teams and he wants to be in a winning car. I don't think he'd be saying that kinda stuff if he knew for sure there was no way he could leave - there's no point getting the bosses offside for nothing.

Sutil has said earlier he will only consider other options IF his boss leaves him. He has said that i owe them my coming to F1 and would race for them if they want me to...

im not sure about that, he has de la rosa to give him tips too.

Pedro can help for sure but they will still lag behing teams that have good testers and experianced drivers...

Because Davidson has yet to do anything remotely impressive. Call it bad luck but he scored zero points this year and, whilst he often had the measure of Taku he never actually delivered on it, either getting tangled up with someone or just fading away in the race. I don't think he's even arguably on Jenson's level and I wouldn't say Jenson deserves a Mclaren drive either.

Yeah interesting thought on Anthony, and Particularly JB.

You didn't answer why JB didn't deserve the McLaren drive though?

But in my view Davidson and Sutil would look the Part in a 2008 Williams.

I think Davidson is a very Under rated Driver and given the chance i think he will do just fine in a PROPER car.

But in Saying that, this Season we did forget that Ant was on the grid at all, like Fisichella, and like Jarno Trulli.

Of course Jenson deserves a mclaren drive, he's 'deserved' to be in a top car since about 2003 when he really started showing his potential.

Think of it this way, if Kovalainen or Rosberg deserve a shot in a McLaren, then Button surely does. He's entering his 8th season and we still dont know just how good he can be in a top car that can win races & fight for a championship. I've always felt very strongly that he can fight for a title just as well as anyone else

Of course Jenson deserves a mclaren drive, he's 'deserved' to be in a top car since about 2003 when he really started showing his potential.

Think of it this way, if Kovalainen or Rosberg deserve a shot in a McLaren, then Button surely does. He's entering his 8th season and we still dont know just how good he can be in a top car that can win races & fight for a championship. I've always felt very strongly that he can fight for a title just as well as anyone else

Button ****ed himself up with the whole Williams/Honda contract issues...Its all his fault

As I've always said, Button is just as good as rivals Alonso and Raikkonen. He reminds me of Mika Hakkinen (dunno why)and would be a deserving world champion imo!

Mika was in the same boat with Mclaren.

Took him nearly 100 races to win a GP in contraversial circumstances.

Mika went through the toughest seasons Mclaren ever endured from 94 -mid 97.

Mika was a crowd favourite.

Mika and Jenson have had really defining accidents for there team. Adelaide 95 for Mika and Monaco 03 for JB.

But JB i think is a more complete driver than Mika, Mika had raw speed in my opinion and used every inch of the track like his clone Kimi Raikkonen.

But JB will get there, he does need to change teams though.

Williams is on the up....

Mika was in the same boat with Mclaren.

Took him nearly 100 races to win a GP in contraversial circumstances.

Mika went through the toughest seasons Mclaren ever endured from 94 -mid 97.

Mika was a crowd favourite.

Mika and Jenson have had really defining accidents for there team. Adelaide 95 for Mika and Monaco 03 for JB.

But JB i think is a more complete driver than Mika, :blink: Mika had raw speed in my opinion and used every inch of the track like his clone Kimi Raikkonen.

But JB will get there, he does need to change teams though.

Williams is on the up....

Jenson is not in Mika's class and there is no comparison between Mika's accident and that suffered by Jenson. Mika outqualified Senna on his GP debut

You don't realise that it takes a lot more than raw speed to be a WDC. Mika has won it twice and against Michael when he was at his prime.

A point often made about Jenson is that you really can't see the guy pushing. He got a few poles unexpectedly but Ithink that was more qualifying heroics than one lap specialty. If you watch Kimi really pushing the car, if you watched Schumi pushing the car you could see those two really throw the car to the track's edge. The same goes for Lewis and Fernando but Jenson never seemed agressive enough and I think this also shows in his wheel to wheel abillity and lack of any truly earned race win... And yes, comparing Mika to Jenson is just wrong. Mika had more raw speed than even race winners or world champions can produce on a good day, that is definitely not the case with Button.

No im not comparing them, all im saying is that Mika was in the same situation in his early Mclaren Career to what Jenson is currently facing at Honda.

Im sorry for the inconvience if i made it sound like a comparision.

in 1999 you cant really say that Mika beat Michael fair and Square, because Michael had the accident at Silverstone, but he did beat him fair and square in 1998.

And in terms of Marketing image, and commuting about his car to his mechanics was what i was talking about also in Terms of a complete package for JB was what I meant.

And BTW I did mention that Mika had more Raw speed, and Mika had ICE cool mental toughness as well, like JB in my opinion, (after the season JB has just taken, he has shown how mentally tough he is and he didn't drag his team too much in the dirt either. Credit to him.)

BTW I loved Mika, I wish he was still racing in F1, Great to see him at Brazil too.

And those accidents wern't a comparision either, (thats too terrible to think such a thing) what i was trying too compute was that those accidents were the lowest ebb of both of their careers (and possibly a defining moment in both there careers) and after their crashes they both came out mentally stronger, which showed up on the track, and they still stuck by there teams, which prooves how tough both of these atheletes are.

Mika beat Michael fair and square in 1998.

Fair, but not square. The Bridgestone shod Macca was mighty, too mighty for Michael.

Yeah but Michael had his days too in 1998.

Mika did win 8 races in 1998 to Michael's 6 and considering the car advantage Mika had at the start of the season, it was a mighty effort what Michael did that Season, especially in Hungary.

TBH, I thought that the gap between Michael to mika in terms of the winning ratio was bigger that Season, 8-6 isnt too much of a difference really IMO.

But I still Maintain that Mika won the 1998 World drivers Title from Michael Fair and SQUARE!

No im not comparing them, all im saying is that Mika was in the same situation in his early Mclaren Career to what Jenson is currently facing at Honda.

Im sorry for the inconvience if i made it sound like a comparision.

in 1999 you cant really say that Mika beat Michael fair and Square, because Michael had the accident at Silverstone, but he did beat him fair and square in 1998.

And in terms of Marketing image, and commuting about his car to his mechanics was what i was talking about also in Terms of a complete package for JB was what I meant.

And BTW I did mention that Mika had more Raw speed, and Mika had ICE cool mental toughness as well, like JB in my opinion, (after the season JB has just taken, he has shown how mentally tough he is and he didn't drag his team too much in the dirt either. Credit to him.)

BTW I loved Mika, I wish he was still racing in F1, Great to see him at Brazil too.

And those accidents wern't a comparision either, (thats too terrible to think such a thing) what i was trying too compute was that those accidents were the lowest ebb of both of their careers (and possibly a defining moment in both there careers) and after their crashes they both came out mentally stronger, which showed up on the track, and they still stuck by there teams, which prooves how tough both of these atheletes are.

The defining point in Jenson's career was his stint at Benneton/Renault - Elizabeth above makes some very valid points about Jenson's temperament and what is a common trait of the fast drivers out there.

For me, Mika was the only driver that competed on Michael's level in terms of speed and race craft.

The defining point in Jenson's career was his stint at Benneton/Renault - Elizabeth above makes some very valid points about Jenson's temperament and what is a common trait of the fast drivers out there.

For me, Mika was the only driver that competed on Michael's level in terms of speed and race craft.

I didn't say it was the defining point all I said that it was Possibly the defining point,

That was one defining point at Benetton though, I do agree with you on that one, But I

What about Fernando last year?

Or Kimi, on the days when the Mclaren was A) reliable and B) quick?

Or Mark Webber????

Hey I was listening on youtube about Michael back in Brazil 1994 and it was through the American feed and they quoted Martin Brundle as saying that if Schumacher and Senna were Team mates, he thought that Schumacher would beat Senna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zybu7X49lS0

Yeah Elizabeth does make very valad points I think too, Plausiable enough.

I didn't say it was the defining point all I said that it was Possibly the defining point,

That was one defining point at Benetton though, I do agree with you on that one, But I still

Or Mark Webber????

Hey I was listening on youtube about Michael back in Brazil 1994 and it was through the American feed and they quoted Martin Brundle as saying that if Schumacher and Senna were Team mates, he thought that Schumacher would beat Senna.

That was one defining point at Benetton though, I do agree with you on that one, But I still maintain that

Or Mark Webber????

That was one defining point at Benetton though, I do agree with you on that one, But I still maintain that The

Or Mark Webber????

That was one defining point at Benetton though, I do agree with you on that one, But I still maintain that The Accident

Or Mark Webber????

That was one defining point at Benetton though, I do agree with you on that one, But I still maintain that The Accident did change him into a

Or Mark Webber????

That was one defining point at Benetton though, I do agree with you on that one, But I still maintain that The Accident did change him into a stronger

Or Mark Webber????