Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shooting Star

Will The 2008 Season Be One Way Traffic?

I can't help but wonder if we'll see Ferrari run away with the 2008 title without breaking a sweat.

I would prefer a competitive season with two or more teams gunning for the top step of the podium but I can't see anyone challenging Ferrari next year at least.

McLaren have a lot of work to do. Hamilton is too inexperienced to be the sole torch-bearer and anyone joining him (Rosberg?) will also be a greenhorn. Hamilton needs help setting up his car and with the tough season McLaren have had, I don't see them bouncing back. Not without an Alonso or someone equally able. Theres too much unrest in the team and with the penalties, its going to be hard to

Renault lot of lot of ground this season and even if they do get Alonso, other than the occasional podium finish, I don't see them as a constant threat.

BMW showed a lot of promise this season but again, can they challenge for wins consistently? Looks unlikely again. They may get their first win... thats about it.

So I don't know where the challenge will come from. I think its going to be a Kimi vs Massa kinda season.

I can't help but wonder if we'll see Ferrari run away with the 2008 title without breaking a sweat.

I would prefer a competitive season with two or more teams gunning for the top step of the podium but I can't see anyone challenging Ferrari next year at least.

McLaren have a lot of work to do. Hamilton is too inexperienced to be the sole torch-bearer and anyone joining him (Rosberg?) will also be a greenhorn. Hamilton needs help setting up his car and with the tough season McLaren have had, I don't see them bouncing back. Not without an Alonso or someone equally able. Theres too much unrest in the team and with the penalties, its going to be hard to

Renault lot of lot of ground this season and even if they do get Alonso, other than the occasional podium finish, I don't see them as a constant threat.

BMW showed a lot of promise this season but again, can they challenge for wins consistently? Looks unlikely again. They may get their first win... thats about it.

So I don't know where the challenge will come from. I think its going to be a Kimi vs Massa kinda season.

I make a BOLD statement.... a domination era is starting as of next year, wether we going to like it or not ...the Kimi/Ferrari era

nothing more, nothing less

too early to say....

looking with current status ferrari have advantage but looking back 2005 renault came from nowhere....also we dont know whether honda can pull a surprise they did long time back with button...also wmsa or fia is ready to dig the details of mclaren 2008 challenger and if it proves they are still using ferrari details then there will be no fine of 100musd instead mclaren may even not compete for 2008...who knows....lets wait for the new launches ...new rules....new driver lineups...and then the actual practice sessions.....

Yep i also feel ferrari and kimi will runaway with both championships next season. And remember next year there is no TC. So i'd say you better watch out for the iceman. Michael dominated in 2002 and 2004. I'll not be suprised if kimi does the same

too early to say....

looking with current status ferrari have advantage but looking back 2005 renault came from nowhere....also we dont know whether honda can pull a surprise they did long time back with button...also wmsa or fia is ready to dig the details of mclaren 2008 challenger and if it proves they are still using ferrari details then there will be no fine of 100musd instead mclaren may even not compete for 2008...who knows....lets wait for the new launches ...new rules....new driver lineups...and then the actual practice sessions.....

That was because ferrari had a tyre problem with bridgestone where as the michellin runners didn't.

Yep you're right. Mclaren may not compete at all looking at mosley's theory of going through mclaren witha fine tooth comb.

And remember, Ferrari and kimi can only get better

Forget it. FIArrari domination again would kill F.1. The FIA always intended the 2007 title to be won by FIArrari when they decided Bridgestone was going to be the only tyre supplier of F.1. Unfortunatley for them, McLaren has been quick from the beginning switching to Bridgestone tyres, making life uneasy for FIArrari this year.

From next year all the teams will have the car better suited to the japanese tyres and FIArrari will have to fight hard (in courts of course) to win again. 2008 will turn out to be another 2005 for FIArrari and I'll have many orgasms while watching an ultra motivated McLaren team destroy them to clinch both titles

Forget it. FIArrari domination again would kill F.1. The FIA always intended the 2007 title to be won by FIArrari when they decided Bridgestone was going to be the only tyre supplier of F.1. Unfortunatley for them, McLaren has been quick from the beginning switching to Bridgestone tyres, making life uneasy for FIArrari this year.

From next year all the teams will have the car better suited to the japanese tyres and FIArrari will have to fight hard (in courts of course) to win again. 2008 will turn out to be another 2005 for FIArrari and I'll have many orgasms while watching an ultra motivated McLaren team destroy them to clinch both titles

Do you honestly believe the stuff you're writing???

Well, if you remember way back when, this was supposed to be Ferrari's year, you know, on account of the new tyre regulation. In fact, because of the change, there was talk of a Massa win. The idea was that Alonso and Kimi would take at least half a season to catch up and it might be too late. Ferrari has all the data... but, of course, McLaren stole it.

And so, the season has been nothing like it was thought it would be. It was McLaren who had it all, more so with Hamilton's performance (even if artificially pumped). It has been only the utter-catastrophic and massively incompetent (mis)management by RD that has ended up giving it all away.

Next season? Heck. A lot depends on Alonso's whim... and I would not dismiss any of the other teams. BMW and Renault may just give a surprise. We certainly have had one too many this year.

i am expecting BMW, Renault, Williams more stronger in 2008.

If Alonso stays in McLaren they will compete with Ferrari for 1st position. If he is not there it would be interesting to see how they perform.

i am expecting BMW, Renault, Williams more stronger in 2008.

To be honest, it is not at all clear where they will be.

If Alonso stays in McLaren they will compete with Ferrari for 1st position.

If RD continues to (mis)manage the team, chances are not that good.

If he is not there it would be interesting to see how they perform.

That, for sure, will be something interesting... for the media to spin.

Beyond that, it is a factor of many factors.

If u consider all the changes are being done next season no of is sure where they stand. I was just commenting on their current season's performance. they looked strong they may or may not be on Ferrari or McLaren's level..

RD is suffering from mis-placed priority. He is putting his protege

People should read the off season predictions from previous years. Maybe that way they will finally learn how useless is to merely extrapolate what you saw this season to the next.

As far as we know, Super Aguri could be the dominant team next year (actually, many predicted a very stron SA for this year)

People should read the off season predictions from previous years. Maybe that way they will finally learn how useless is to merely extrapolate what you saw this season to the next.

As far as we know, Super Aguri could be the dominant team next year (actually, many predicted a very stron SA for this year)

Indeed, Andres.

I predict that Ron will have less hair next year.

Yep, can't beat Super Aguri.

Might he have a head to wear it on.

If u consider all the changes are being done next season no of is sure where they stand. I was just commenting on their current season's performance. they looked strong they may or may not be on Ferrari or McLaren's level..

RD is suffering from mis-placed priority. He is putting his protege before his team and thats where his problem is.

If you can not win even if you have a double WDC in your team you are in serious

troble in any team.

May be RD is too influencial in McLaren camp so no one is demanding his head.

That, for sure, will be something interesting... for the media to spin.

Media spin will be relative.. Brit Media will cry foul for not handing Hamilton the WDC on Fuel issue, Spanish Media will bash Brits, Finn-Italian will support ferrari and so on....90% of the issues will be fabricated by them...

Seems you and I agree except perhaps on the media bit. A Basque friend tells me that the only complain the spaniards have of their media is that it doesn't take on the British (like the British take on the Spaniards). He says that this is a good thing, though. Regarding the UK press, I think that they will see through RD sooner or later. The British may be truculent but they are not stupid in the least. Sure, the heat of the competition has handicapped their judgement, but they will recover and chew the right bone in time.

What I meant by the media spin on McLaren's future performance is that they will try to reach simple conclusions. For instance, say Alonso leaves and McLaren sucks. The easy flip will be the Alonso's contribution was major. In reality that might have been so or not regardless whether or not McLaren can put together a winning car nest year. They will makes us laugh no matter what happens, that's a certainty.

McLaren will go down without Alonso, Williams also without Wurz.

Renault will rise again with Alonso, BMW will continue their ascension, overall Ferrari will be favorites.

But Mosley plans to take serious measures if some team dominates and spec it up and freeze it up even more till will get Pepsico and Coca Cola joining to take on Red Bull and Co.

The British may be truculent but they are not stupid in the least.

Well thanks for your vote of confidence, and here was me thinking *all* us Brits were dumb.... :)

Sure, the heat of the competition has handicapped their judgement, but they will recover and chew the right bone in time.

Oh glad to hear that, so within a few weeks we'll all see the light and become Alonso fans??? :)

I just love these sweeping generalisations, oooh let me try one:

All Spaniards are called Manuel, eat Paella and are waiters in crappy British seaside hotels.... :)

Hey I'm getting good at this perhaps *I* could predict some F1 results too!!

Indeed, Andres.

I go for a similar prediciton to Mike's from last year:

I predict a crash... some F1 car...In each and every race....

Question?? when is the last time Kimi drove a car without traction control??

Or maybe the FIA will allow traction control on Ferrari's cars but no one else's :lol:

my sentiments exactly...

Manager: Raikkonen will get stronger

By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, October 24th 2007, 16:21 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen's manager David Robertson is convinced that the Finn can only get stronger in 2008 after clinching his first championship.

Robertson believes that having now faced the challenges of adapting to a new team and tyres, as well as joining Ferrari immediately after the end of the Michael Schumacher, Raikkonen will be even harder to beat next season.

"This is a great team," Robertson told autosport.com. "It is the first time Ferrari have won in three years, so for Michael to go and all these top guys to go and to win again is great.

"Everyone was telling us we had made the wrong decision, but the only one that we were really, really concerned about was Jean Todt. I am a total believer in him, and I know the way he works. He works harder than any of these guys up here.

"So if they have the car next year, Kimi will be unbeatable."

After seeing Raikkonen cause a shock by clinching the title in Brazil, Robertson said he thinks his driver was a more worthy winner than Fernando Alonso or Lewis Hamilton.

"To be honest with you, and not just because I'm his management, but the best man won," Robertson said.

"He would have won but for retirements in the past, and if he would have not had the two failures on the Ferrari this year, it would have been over even before we got here.

"But getting used to the tyres, a new team and all that and still doing it is great. The good news is that you have got a great British driver, who will grow, but he didn't deserve it this year - in my book anyway."

Robertson said he believed that the Monaco Grand Prix, where Raikkonen crashed in qualifying, marked the turning point of his season.

"He deserved it, he was the man in the last half of the season. I think that his turning point of the season was Monaco. Although that was a mistake, we already saw that he was getting used to those tyres and he felt really confident after that.

"He went to Canada and everything started to come together. The team trained him on these tyres and they are a great team."

www.autosport.com

If you will all kindly refer to my quote in Darklords signature you will see that i am the only authority here to make accurate predictions!

I predict that there will be more bitching, backstabbing and childishness (and that's just around here). We might even get to see some scandal free racing. If we do, i'm not down with this whole 'Kimi will dominate' lark, Lewis is too promising for that. I predict that it will be once again close between Ferrari and Mclaren, but that's hardly going out on a limb. I think it's more risky and shrewd to talk about who the surprises will be.

I think BMW may not make the progress that everyone expects. They may have shut off development of this years car quite early but that doesn't mean to say that their head start will reap significant rewards. If they were so confident with this years design language surely they would be working on steady evoloution, not a radical departure (which is what i predict they are planning with such an early shut off).

Conventional wisdom would suggest to me that Red Bull are waiting in the wings (no pun intended) to take the next step up. They have the budget and the manpower. They ended the year (reliability aside) quite strong. Mark only needs a sniff of a decent chassis.

Honda are a totally unknown cause. They certainly can't perform much worse next year but they will be starting from zero without (hopefully) carrying anything over from this year. With that in mind, they may stumble on something but not know why it's good (a la B.A.R. 2004) or produce another lemon.

Wildcards? Vettel will finish second in a race.

My prediction, whoever wins the first race of the season, will win the championship*.

*Must be a dry race, to make more likely.

Scott Speed will drive his grandfather's beige Buick Regal to the 2008 Formula 1 World Drivers' Championship, and with his teammate Juan Pablo Montoya, will win the World Constructors' Championship for Team Burgers Own Roast Goose. Al Gore will come P2 for Team Green, ironically driving a Cadillac Escalade with a 14,000hp drag racing engine fueled by leaded gasoline.

Question?? when is the last time Kimi drove a car without traction control??

You clearly understand little about one of the aspects that is going to help Kimi dominate next year, along with Lewis. The 'natural feel' drivers will gain form the ruling.

You clearly understand little about one of the aspects that is going to help Kimi dominate next year, along with Lewis. The 'natural feel' drivers will gain form the ruling.

Button is pleased no doubt. I wonder how Massa will get on?

Button is pleased no doubt. I wonder how Massa will get on?

You know those Latinos. They always get it on quite well. Feisty and spicy and full of flavor.

Oh. Just get on. I thought you said get it on. My bad.

Massa's girl is hot, if I recall correctly. So who cares how he gets on?