Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skunk0001

Hamilton Pushed The Wrong Button? - Judge For Yourself..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8DGh7Yh5V8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8DGh7Yh5V8[/url] - Removed by FOM

[url="http://www.skunk0001.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hamilton_button.avi"]http://www.skunk0001.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/...lton_button.avi[/url] - AVI Link to onboard
[url="http://www.mclaren.com/features/technical/interactive_steering_wheel.php"]http://www.mclaren.com/features/technical/...ering_wheel.php[/url] - McLaren Wheel Layout

Looks to me like he went for button 3 (drink) and hit button 2 (Pitlane Speed limiter). I'd guess that hitting that while downshifting confused the electronics enough to force them to reinitialise, which took about 25 seconds....

Notice how the first button he tried afterwards was also button 2.

EDIT - CORRECTION:
It turns out the wheel layout on the McLaren website is outdated, the correct layout is as per the link below, meaning that it was the N (Neutral) button that Hamilton did (or did not) press.
[url="http://www.skunk0001.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/diapoa630wn0.jpg"]http://www.skunk0001.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/diapoa630wn0.jpg[/url]

I pushed the wrong button on mrs dribbler. I pushed other buttons quickly but it was too late.

Damn it. I love that forbidden button.

So why are Mclaren lying

:blink:

Would you come out and say "God made a rookie mistake?" I know I wouldn't. You don't want to be labelled as cheaters, and you don't want to be labelled as amateurs.

That was such rotten luck for lewis - he was turning the wheel and his finger obviously slipped - on the speed limiter.

The Mclaren explanation about waves and all that sh!t is plain lies

That was such rotten luck for lewis - he was turning the wheel and his finger obviously slipped - on the speed limiter.

The Mclaren explanation about waves and all that sh!t is plain lies

Bad luck, yes, but still a rookie mistake. I'm sure he's no learned the hard way not to go pressing buttons while cornering. Just like you wouldn't take a tear-off off your visor in the corner, or talk on the radio.

Bad luck, yes, but still a rookie mistake. I'm sure he's no learned the hard way not to go pressing buttons while cornering. Just like you wouldn't take a tear-off off your visor in the corner, or talk on the radio.

You are right. That mistake cost him a WDC

How will he live that down - He'll need lot's of time with his shrink

He indeed hit the wrong button. Sh!t happens. I imagine it's pretty hard getting the right button when they're tiny and you have bulky gloves on...and are pulling 2-3 lateral Gs! Anyway, live and learn. A lost championship and a few mistakes takes nothing away from the sheer fun I've had watching him on-track. Kimi is fast, and has legions of fans, and his racecraft is sublime; but still somewhat boring to watch unless you're onboard. Hamilton, for me at least, is dynamic to watch, moreso than Alonso. Good times. I await next year.

So why are Mclaren lying

Why indeed... and let us not forget how much is riding on RD's honesty, you know, that honesty that puts Mother Teresa to shame.

Let the "questioning" of "subtle differences" start... or not. RD's honesty may just be another one of those topics that is inconvenient to look into.

He indeed hit the wrong button. Sh!t happens. I imagine it's pretty hard getting the right button when they're tiny and you have bulky gloves on...and are pulling 2-3 lateral Gs! Anyway, live and learn. A lost championship and a few mistakes takes nothing away from the sheer fun I've had watching him on-track. Kimi is fast, and has legions of fans, and his racecraft is sublime; but still somewhat boring to watch unless you're onboard. Hamilton, for me at least, is dynamic to watch, moreso than Alonso. Good times. I await next year.

True, Hamilton is fun to watch and, for me too, more so than Alonso (bar some races).

This again shows how mclaren deals with a situation. Lewis says he pushed the wrong button and ron says he didn't and it was a gearbox failure. I think first mclaren needs to sort out their own problems first and then compete with others. It looks like a mess out there

This again shows how mclaren deals with a situation. Lewis says he pushed the wrong button and ron says he didn't and it was a gearbox failure. I think first mclaren needs to sort out their own problems first and then compete with others. It looks like a mess out there

true

i think he was under more pressure and even the slightest diversion in the mind wudve caused him to press a wrong button.....if it is a engine failure by itself then i feel it is difficult for the system to regain to normal working condition..since it is a human error he was able to reinitialize the start sequence and push the car to the limit....note that when he pushed it to limit from last place to 7th nothing happened to car....

true

i think he was under more pressure and even the slightest diversion in the mind wudve caused him to press a wrong button.....if it is a engine failure by itself then i feel it is difficult for the system to regain to normal working condition..since it is a human error he was able to reinitialize the start sequence and push the car to the limit....note that when he pushed it to limit from last place to 7th nothing happened to car....

The error was then compounded by an overheating engine so he had to drive most of the race at reduced revs - but he lost the WDC due to his inexperience/luck

Come on guys.....we are waaayyyyy too hard on hamilton. Although he did'nt win the title, he did an extraordinary job for Mclaren....

Nope this is not about bashing him mate. Its about his rookie mistake and the inability for mclaren to agree on it. Hamilton had a brilliant year. I'm not denying it. He did an awesome job in his rookie year. Well done to him

Nope this is not about bashing him mate. Its about his rookie mistake and the inability for mclaren to agree on it. Hamilton had a brilliant year. I'm not denying it. He did an awesome job in his rookie year. Well done to him

thats IF he did the mistake.... I don't think so....

FOM got to the Youtube video so I added a different link in the original post...

Some comments on the replys....

If Hamiltons engine was overheating, Alonso's would have been too, in fact it was the hottest race temperatures of the season so no doubt everybody had to turn them down a bit. Well, except Honda, they didnt, and both of them blew up.

Indeed Hamilton can be very fun to watch, but that was what killed his chances in the end, the way he slides the car around and lunges about wrecks tyres. He fell foul of it in Turkey, and in China. His tyre wear was also the main reason why he wasted so much time making a 3rd stop in Brazil. For him to progress to the higest level he needs to learn some form of restraint and smooth his cornering a bit.

As for the Video, its pretty clear cut imo, he hits the Speed Limiter while cornering (which was his mistake) which badly freaked the car out (bad luck I guess he couldnt just turn it back off).

Thanks for the welcome :)

FOM got to the Youtube video so I added a different link in the original post...

Some comments on the replys....

If Hamiltons engine was overheating, Alonso's would have been too, in fact it was the hottest race temperatures of the season so no doubt everybody had to turn them down a bit. Well, except Honda, they didnt, and both of them blew up.

Indeed Hamilton can be very fun to watch, but that was what killed his chances in the end, the way he slides the car around and lunges about wrecks tyres. He fell foul of it in Turkey, and in China. His tyre wear was also the main reason why he wasted so much time making a 3rd stop in Brazil. For him to progress to the higest level he needs to learn some form of restraint and smooth his cornering a bit.

As for the Video, its pretty clear cut imo, he hits the Speed Limiter while cornering (which was his mistake) which badly freaked the car out (bad luck I guess he couldnt just turn it back off).

Thanks for the welcome :)

Thanks for the updated vid.....Now I see, ok, his mistake, bad bad luck.....

welcome btw Skunk0001

I pushed the wrong button on mrs dribbler. I pushed other buttons quickly but it was too late.

Damn it. I love that forbidden button.

HAHAHAH dribbler! Very good :)

All the evidence does point towards human error, Mclaren deny it of course, and the original story came from a misquote...

Hamilton wrongly quoted on gearbox failure

By Biranit GorenThursday, October 25th 2007, 13:35 GMT

A leading Formula One journalist has apologised to McLaren for a quote wrongly attributed to Lewis Hamilton, autosport.com has learned.

Hamilton was quoted by Montreal's newspaper La Presse as admitting he himself caused the gearbox problem, which saw him drop from sixth to 18th at the early stages of the Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday.

Veteran Formula One journalist Luc Domenjoz' report from the event included a direct quote from Hamilton himself, saying he had pressed the wrong button by mistake on his steering wheel, putting the car into neutral.

The report was immediately quoted by numerous Internet websites and was seen as proof that Hamilton cracked under the pressure of the world championship finale.

However, Domenjoz yesterday admitted that he did not talk to Hamilton and explained that he relied on information he heard in conversation with other journalists, who in turn were quoting what Hamilton had supposedly said to his engineers.

The highly respected Frenchman further explained that he was under deadline constraints and did not have a chance to verify the information with Hamilton himself or with McLaren.

When approached by autosport.com, Domenjoz said: "my mistake was using a quote by Lewis when I did not talk to him myself. I had other verifiable information and I stand by my report, but under the time pressure I made a mistake by using that quote."

The incident comes on the back of ongoing criticism by McLaren team boss Ron Dennis for the damage the Internet medium is causing to media coverage.

"I have said so often, the Internet has been the bane of our lives," he said at Interlagos last weekend. "This is an uncontrolled, unedited, source of information that is fed into the media.

"Of course, I am not critical at all of the media. It just makes it so hard because everything is so instantaneous. You are just spending too much time trying to correct the inaccuracies that come into the system."

=================================================================

Looks like human error to me, he'll learn.

So why are Mclaren lying

Isn't it obvious? It is ok for a rookie to make a mistake. In fact, it should have been expected for the rookie to make a mistake. And therein lies the problem: it should have been expected by RD that the rookie would make a mistake and, therefore, he should have been more supportive of Alonso

As a matter of fact, the mistake reflects more poorly on RD than it does on Hamilton, therefore McLaren is inclined to lie about it. RD and McLaren know that, had they managed the sitiation properly, Alonso would have won this year by a mile and they would be facing 2008 with two excellent drivers. Now, who knows.

Isn't it obvious? It is ok for a rookie to make a mistake. In fact, it should have been expected for the rookie to make a mistake. And therein lies the problem: it should have been expected by RD that the rookie would make a mistake and, therefore, he should have been more supportive of Alonso

As a matter of fact, the mistake reflects more poorly on RD than it does on Hamilton, therefore McLaren is inclined to lie about it. RD and McLaren know that, had they managed the sitiation properly, Alonso would have won this year by a mile and they would be facing 2008 with two excellent drivers. Now, who knows.

support Alonso in what way? What difference would it have made? They got equal status & Hamilton won, so what makes you think Alonso would've won by a country mile?? Far too often he was outperformed by a rookie team-mate. He made silly mistakes in Spain & Canada, & behaved unprofessionally far too often.

support Alonso in what way? What difference would it have made? They got equal status & Hamilton won, so what makes you think Alonso would've won by a country mile?? Far too often he was outperformed by a rookie team-mate. He made silly mistakes in Spain & Canada, & behaved unprofessionally far too often.

There is no dobt that Alonso was de facto n. 2 driver in the team at least since Hungary. Professional behaviour? You mean like when Hamilton told RD to **** off in Hungary and did not respect the agreement regarding qualifying? That alone is what may have cost Alonso the WDC, aside from the lemon he has been driving for the past two GPs. And about the rookie beating Alonso, there is much more evidence of the contrary in fact. He has been faster in q3 but rarely in a race seeting that you can actually compare, aside from the lemon episode....