Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silas Talbot

Ten Years?!

So what is all this business?

From f1technical.net

Engine development frozen for 10 years

During today's World Motor Sport Council at Paris, it was decided that there will be a freeze on engine development for a period of ten years starting from 2008. The engine freeze was introduced before the start of the 2007 season and was expected to remain until a more radical overhaul of the engine regulations was set, but now the engine freeze will continue for another 10 years.

The WMSC decided: "There will be a total freeze on engine development for a period of 10 years, starting from 2008. A change can be made after five years but only with the unanimous agreement of all stakeholders and following a further two-year notice period. Total freeze means that there will be no exceptions for development of certain parts of the engine, as is the case under the current regulations."

While previously there were talks and speculation about a more economical engine formula with smaller capacity and possibly the reintroduction of turbocharging. The decision shelves all these possibilities but could allow a gradual introduction or regenerative braking and other energy efficient technologies.

In nine years, I'm going to have a more advanced engine in my honda accord.

I might not have regenerative breaking, but seriously, this is garbage.

If the little teams are so afraid of the big teams development budget, then lets bring back 2 or 3 types of tires to select from, and 2 or 3 engine manufacturers who sell to the whole field... At least that will mix things up a bit. It used to be all about engines and tires, and now they have almost completely removed them as variables..

10 years of these same engines seems very lame, especially when F1 is considered the most technically advanced auto racing.

Not exactly on topic, but...

If F1 is so technically advanced, can we please get HD-signal and/or the ability to purchase streamed content on the web? Every week they run a NASCAR race out in the middle of nowhere and you can watch it in HD, and log on to the internet to pick which hick you want to ride along with.

poor misguided FIA

I don't get how this would benefit smaller teams...

The big companies won't stop spending they just improve their Aero departments/ Wind tunnel and stuff. They divert resources from one place to another not eliminate them. So now instead of Top Teams being faster than smaller teams via the engine system; they will be faster via aero...

I like this. I know, I know, on the surface it's a horrible decision. My heart still beats to the sound of a freely developed 3.5 litre V12 but if anything has a chance of making the engine manufacturers that our ruining our beloved sport's technical rules and diminishing driver roles it's this. It will also greatly reduce costs for teams, which is also fairly important as I don't think the western economies are in for the best five to ten years coming up.

It wasn't that long ago that the FIA held a survey to see what the fans of our sport really wanted. I could've sworn one of the overwhelmng opinions was that we wanted to see technical inovation - as this is meant to be the (technical) pinnacle of Motorsport.

If the FIA are concerned about the issues they have recently beat their drum about - mainly going greener - then surely, a set of boundaries for the manufacturers to work within would produce accelerated progress towards this goal? Freezing development will level everyone off, effectively delivering the standard one-size-fits-all-package that Max Muesli wants.........

Competition improves the breed. Let the manufacturers compete.

I read somewhere that it is only until 2010

No its for ten years through to 2018. May be ten years was misinterpreted as 2010

when I read this I had two thoughts.

1. ten years is way too far in the future to really know what will happen. I somehow don't see even Burnie having enough money to buy himself that many more year and Max will be out of the FIA and if the next set of head honchos has any brains they will kill everything the those two men ever did for F1 except the HANS device

As with most FIA rules & regulations, there will no doubt be significant flaws in the idea that will show up in the next few years.

My concern is that if 1 team has a crappy engine in terms of power, they will be stuck with that disadvantage for 10 years, and so the F1 pecking order will change even less than usual each season

Burn dung. Save energy.

Just be sure to burn the dung on Max Moseley's doorstep. Always a fun surprise!

I won't remember what F1 is in 10 years...

Burn dung. Save energy.

Honda should try this, they do want to save the planet afterall, also they have a lot of sh!t around.

I won't remember what F1 is in 10 years...

Kimi has already forgotten what F1 is, what with all the vodka...

Honda should try this, they do want to save the planet afterall, also they have a lot of sh!t around.

Kimi has already forgotten what F1 is, what with all the vodka...

:lol::lol:

As with most FIA rules & regulations, there will no doubt be significant flaws in the idea that will show up in the next few years.

My concern is that if 1 team has a crappy engine in terms of power, they will be stuck with that disadvantage for 10 years, and so the F1 pecking order will change even less than usual each season

So logically that would mean no big surprises from teams for the nexxt 10 years....

well each cylinder would be exactly 83.3mL

so go find a measuring cup and get roughly 80 mL and thats how much each cylinder would hold

then again we could go with a 10L 5 cylinder inline design. what woul be pretty much on the same level of ridiculous as a 1L v12

Burn dung.

Haven't you guys got a late night radio presenter called that?

If it were it would be the weirdest engine in the known universe.

There's a company here that makes a 2 litre V10. The car they put it in is hideous though.

Maximillian I's engine freeze seems to fly in the face of everything he's been preaching though. Cost cutting is fine, just put a cap on spending, not on design. The rich teams will just spend the money elsewhere. Why can't he figure that out?