Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Electromagnetic Pulse

I know this seems like a weird topic for a formula 1 board but bear with me. In a hyperthetical situation if i were a genius (and a w#nker) and could create my own Electromagnetic Pulse generator and then i went to the Australian GP and then right at the begining of the race set off my EMP. My question is what would happen to the formula 1 cars?

You wouldn't be that much of a genius considering a device that powerful'd have to be *huge* and would take out the cameras and other nearby systems too and it'd leave you doing a long stretch if you were lucky enough not to be held on terrorism charges. The noise through the tannoys would be agony too.

You wouldn't be that much of a genius considering a device that powerful'd have to be *huge* and would take out the cameras and other nearby systems too and it'd leave you doing a long stretch if you were lucky enough not to be held on terrorism charges. The noise through the tannoys would be agony too.

Im not talking about a big EMP Generator which can take out entire cities im talking about the small ones which can only take out afew hundred metres. It could probably be concealed in a eski and security would never know it was there. Im just wondering what would happen to a formula 1 car if it were hit by a Electromagnetic Pulse.

I'm afraid it'd be much bigger than that. The problem with EMP devices is that they need to store enough power and be resiliant enough to withstand their own pulse or they just fry before they've had a chance to burn out anything. To get a pulse of that size you'd most likely need a device the size of a room with current technology and hooked up to the national grid. Sorry to spoil your ambitions of being an evil genius with a nemesis from MI6 but that's the way it is.

I'm afraid it'd be much bigger than that. The problem with EMP devices is that they need to store enough power and be resiliant enough to withstand their own pulse or they just fry before they've had a chance to burn out anything. To get a pulse of that size you'd most likely need a device the size of a room with current technology and hooked up to the national grid. Sorry to spoil your ambitions of being an evil genius with a nemesis from MI6 but that's the way it is.

Its certainly not a ambition, im just interested to know what would happen to a formula 1 car if it were hit by a EMP.

I know this seems like a weird topic for a formula 1 board but bear with me. In a hyperthetical situation if i were a genius (and a w#nker) and could create my own Electromagnetic Pulse generator and then i went to the Australian GP and then right at the begining of the race set off my EMP. My question is what would happen to the formula 1 cars?

It is pretty obvious what would happen, however, if you could make said device probably nothing would happen cause with the money you would make, you would probably be driving your own F1 car in the race. :thbup:

I don't know, they probably wouldn't be able to start up at all, the race would be cancelled. Honda would be fine though, afterall they are powered solely by dreams, they would still be too slow to win though.

I don't know, they probably wouldn't be able to start up at all, the race would be cancelled. Honda would be fine though, afterall they are powered solely by dreams, they would still be too slow to win though.

:clap3: Brilliant!

if u r going sit near the speed trap(probably around 280kmph) then i doubt it will give any impact at all....

you could always just go with giant magnet and try and get on the start line and just wave it around where the electronics are located on the cars you don't like

You could probably drop and EMP from a helicopter above a car to make sure it stops on the track with a box full of neutrals. Hang on.....

Well the cars would:

- either not start if they're on the grid

- would stop is they'd be be racing

- if by miracle they would still be going somehow, then the loss of the semi-automatic transmission, fly-by-wire systems, ECU, rear differential, braking system, TC and Co. would the make cars completely uncontrollable (all but steering would be lost) resulting in horrific accidents

- if by miracle they would still be going somehow, then the loss of the semi-automatic transmission, fly-by-wire systems, ECU, rear differential, braking system, TC and Co. would the make cars completely uncontrollable (all but steering would be lost) resulting in horrific accidents

Do you think Sato is a human EMP?

Hm. The only system not fed into a computer is the steering. I would say that the throttle and brake controls would die, so with that alone you'd have cars slowing to a stop, like Hamilton did in Brasil, with no way to get them going again. Heaven help the driver that is blasting down a straight in the braking zone towards a sharp turn. That poor sucker would be jelly on the wall.

I suppose the end result of setting off an EMP would be cars not overtaking each other. I see no need to actually set this device off at 95% of the races in a current season as we already have no overtaking.

Good try ykick, but the FIA's aero rules beat you to it.

EDIT: ah, I see DOF came to a similar, if more grisly, conclusion.

Again, I'm pretty certain any electronic system linked to braking is banned for such a reason.

Hm. That would make sense so I obviously didn't think the FIA would mandate it.

Again, I'm pretty certain any electronic system linked to braking is banned for such a reason.

To my knowledge, tough this is old info and things might have changed, the brake adjust balance from the steering wheel requires an electronically signalled servo-system.

So just the throttle is fly by wire ?!

To my knowledge, tough this is old info and things might have changed, the brake adjust balance from the steering wheel requires an electronically signalled servo-system.

So just the throttle is fly by wire ?!

Almost cetainly but any failure of the abilty to adjust brake balance would have no affect on the braking system as a whole which is purely hydraulic.