Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

New F1 Regulation To Facilitate Overtaking

TC ban will give us more opportunities to overtake - Raikkonen

During the 2008 Formula One season, a couple of new regulations will be introduced or reintroduced in the pinnacle of motorsport. One of the biggest changes is the banning of traction control. According to World Champion Kimi Raikkonen, F1 will see more overtaking because of this.

Kimi Raikkonen said about the new regulations: "When I came to Formula One we didn't have traction control. There are so many things coming up. I think it'll be good fun and more challenging, too. And taking the traction control away will give us more opportunities to overtake."

The ban of traction control and a general reduction of driver aids thanks to a standard ECU system will leave more room for errors to the driver and allow others to profit from that. Up until now it was virtually possible to push the throttle all the way down without spinning the wheels. Doing so in the future will seriously reduce acceleration performance and could enable competitors to pass.

I wouldn't be surprised if the overtaking opportunities come mainly from increased tyre wear/degradation as drivers spin more over long stints.

so really what the front wing aoa change does is reduce front down force on the strait. You change it once on the beginning and once at the end of the strait. the only problem is that the longest strait is most often the start finish strait. Now what you could do is set up the car so it needs an increase of down force at once specific corner. but I bet the speed gained by reducing it on the strait will help lap times more

I suspect the accompanying reduction in drag is far more significant.

IF these regs and others made the racing better and added overtaking/battles...I will guarantee that I will watch F1 again and that I will buy a ticket to the Canadian GP if there is one at the time...if there's no GP in North America by this time (which could very well be the case), then, I don't know, but at least I'll be watching.

TC ban will give us more opportunities to overtake - Raikkonen

During the 2008 Formula One season, a couple of new regulations will be introduced or reintroduced in the pinnacle of motorsport. One of the biggest changes is the banning of traction control. According to World Champion Kimi Raikkonen, F1 will see more overtaking because of this.

Kimi Raikkonen said about the new regulations: "When I came to Formula One we didn't have traction control. There are so many things coming up. I think it'll be good fun and more challenging, too. And taking the traction control away will give us more opportunities to overtake."

The ban of traction control and a general reduction of driver aids thanks to a standard ECU system will leave more room for errors to the driver and allow others to profit from that. Up until now it was virtually possible to push the throttle all the way down without spinning the wheels. Doing so in the future will seriously reduce acceleration performance and could enable competitors to pass.

But from when the TC ban came in effect in 1994 and up until it was reintroduced 2001 overtakings fell dramatically.

I wouldn't be surprised if the overtaking opportunities come mainly from increased tyre wear/degradation as drivers spin more over long stints.

That comes from the belief that TC necesarily decreasses tire wear. It truth there are several types of TC, some of witch increase tire wear.

Tire compound progress, less abrasive tracks (resurfacing), superior chassis (excluding TC) are the major factors.

I suspect the accompanying reduction in drag is far more significant.

I agree.

1] From what I'm hearing slicks should come back later on.

Why wait?

2] Also mechanical grip advantage over aero means that if a tire burst things can get realy nasty like in the pre-wings/pre aero advantage days (Hamilton in Turkey would have had a horiffic accident).

If either mechanical grip or wing-winglets or underbody gets an overwhelming advantage in generating the grip than when this one-dominant-source witchever-it-may-be fails bad things happen.

Both tire bursts, wing failures, skirt/undertrays/underbody failures have caused injuries and/or deaths.

A balance is imperative

I agree. Just as there are different corner radii on each track, there should be different ways of generating grip. Slow to medium speed corners require mechanical grip, Fast corners require mostly aero grip. The main difference is that a car with mechanical grip will be more stable off-line that one with aero-grip alone. You cannot have on without the other and retain a stable car.

3] The underbody is somewhat adressed.

How? By moving the diffuser back? That's only dealing with the last bit of air under the chassis and affects mostly how that air exits the back. To address the downforce issues of the chassis you would need to re-design the bottom completely, which isn't being done.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm with you on the chassis generating the downforce, active-ride suspension and slicks. I'm just an all-or-nothing sort of guy. A halfway measure will only get you a halfway result, but with increased cost. Why not go the full way..if you're going to incurr cost, get it over with now.

>

^ Yes I agree they should go full way (redesign the bottom and/or a more agressive difusser and so on).

But I try for a while to see the the full size of the glass.

When I saw pictures of the Superleague single seater, more precisely its undertrays and slicks tires I was so upset that F1 is just so stuborn. So now I try to keep cool.

for the ratios my idea was this:

- in low drag mode: 1/2 mecanical grip 1/4 underbody 1/4 wings

- in high downforce mode: 1/3 mecanical 1/3 underbody 1/3 wings

- in low drag mode: 1/2 mecanical grip 1/4 underbody 1/4 wings

- in high downforce mode: 1/3 mecanical 1/3 underbody 1/3 wings

I like this.

Damn, you should get a job in F1 with Renault as technical analyser! You're the brains of these forums & would'nt be surprised you get approached! I'll ask Flabbio to have a look at you're ideas & knowledge & half of his Mega Mac.