Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

England You Must Resist

London could embrace NFL - Tynes

New York Giants kicker Lawrence Tynes admitted the enthusiasm of fans in London made him change his view that NFL games would not work in the city.

Scottish-born Tynes told BBC Sport when the game against Miami was announced that it would not convert British fans.

But after kicking seven points in the Giants' 13-9 win at Wembley, he said: "I would love to come back here.

"I was one of the sceptical people earlier, but I didn't realise how many football fans there were (in the UK)."

However, he warned: "I think too much would be overkill because it takes a dedicated group of fans to come in week in and week out.

"But I think one or two games a year [would work]."

Tynes blamed the rain and mud for his missed field goal, which could have sealed the victory with 12 minutes left.

"It got really bad late in the third and fourth quarter. Fortunately we were able to go on to win," he continued.

"I slipped about 18 inches. I didn't do anything different but my plant leg just came out from under me. I'm just thankful we won.

"I wish we could have had drier weather so fans could have got a better show."

Tynes, who moved to Florida from Scotland aged 10 spoke to reporters after the game with a shirt from his childhood favourite side Celtic around his neck, with his name on the back.

The 29-year-old, who has a strong American accent, started his professional career in the UK with the Scottish Claymores and admitted to a special sense of enjoyment in landing three kicks at Wembley.

"I probably have more goals here than any Scotsman in the last 10 years," he joked.

"It was really exciting to put the first points up there because this is where it all started for me in 2002, up at Hampden Park."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_spor...all/7069365.stm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read that a NFL match got a crowd of 81,000 people in London. I must say im very upset by this news as England didnt defeat the Germans to have the Americans come in with their pansy game and try and take over. First its American Football and next you will see Englishmen using the word "dude" at the end of each sentance and spelling things like "organisation" with a "z". American Football is clearly the most evil code of Football in the entire world and the English should do everything in their power to keep it out of their boarders. Statistically NFL has the highest percentage of w#nkers compared to every other sport in the world and England already has its fill of w#nkers with the English Premier League. I think its fair to say that scrambling the RAF to nuke any venue where American Football is played in England would not be a over-reaction and would most proably be supported by the UN as American Football is clearly a crime against humanity. England you must resist the dark side.

New York Giants kicker Lawrence Tynes admitted the enthusiasm of fans in London made him change his view that NFL games would not work in the city.

Scottish-born Tynes told BBC Sport when the game against Miami was announced that it would not convert British fans.

But after kicking seven points in the Giants' 13-9 win at Wembley, he said: "I would love to come back here.

"I was one of the sceptical people earlier, but I didn't realise how many football fans there were (in the UK)."

However, he warned: "I think too much would be overkill because it takes a dedicated group of fans to come in week in and week out.

Tynes blamed the rain and mud for his missed field goal, which could have sealed the victory with 12 minutes left.

"It got really bad late in the third and fourth quarter. Fortunately we were able to go on to win," he continued.

"I slipped about 18 inches. I didn't do anything different but my plant leg just came out from under me. I'm just thankful we won.

Tynes, who moved to Florida from Scotland aged 10 spoke to reporters after the game with a shirt from his childhood favourite side Celtic around his neck, with his name on the back.

The 29-year-old, who has a strong American accent, started his professional career in the UK with the Scottish Claymores and admitted to a special sense of enjoyment in landing three kicks at Wembley.

"I probably have more goals here than any Scotsman in the last 10 years," he joked.

"It was really exciting to put the first points up there because this is where it all started for me in 2002, up at Hampden Park."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read that a NFL match got a crowd of 81,000 people in London. I must say im very upset by this news as England didnt defeat the Germans to have the Americans come in with their pansy game and try and take over. First its American Football and next you will see Englishmen using the word "dude" at the end of each sentance and spelling things like "organisation" with a "z". American Football is clearly the most evil code of Football in the entire world and the English should do everything in their power to keep it out of their boarders. Statistically NFL has the highest percentage of w#nkers compared to every other sport in the world and England already has its fill of w#nkers with the English Premier League. I think its fair to say that scrambling the RAF to nuke any venue where American Football is played in England would not be a over-reaction and would most proably be supported by the UN as American Football is clearly a crime against humanity. England you must resist the dark side.

<_< On second thought, your AFL sucks :mf_tongue:

It's ok, ykick, we have ways fo dealing with such misguided and treacherous people as these. Well, we did have a method several hundred years or so ago :whistling:

But your mother got a crowd of 81,000 at Wembley...

I find this remark truly despicable and unnecessary. For starters, there's the implication that ykick does indeed have a mother and is not the spawn of the devil..........

I think American Football is a damn site more entertaining than the overpaid bunch of pansies we have as a national (football) side. Dude.

[Though neither match up to rugby] :P

Pansy game? I assume you're referring to all the pads, right? Those pads are because we Americans hit harder than you Brits or Aussies. Take any NFL team, without the pads, and play them against your Rugby's finest, and your team would be tasty jelly afterwards.

Pansy game? I assume you're referring to all the pads, right? Those pads are because we Americans hit harder than you Brits or Aussies. Take any NFL team, without the pads, and play them against your Rugby's finest, and your team would be tasty jelly afterwards.

Hmm, either my bad english or hair trigger trouble! By our pansies I meant our soccer players - I am a devout non-believer in soccer as a sport. However, take it easy tiger, I understand the pads!!

NFL against rugby's finest? I'm a rugby fan, I like to watch American Football (though I don't understand it too well) - and I would really like to see an NFL team play rugby, and a rugby team play American football - both seem to have great mixes of speed, tactics and power. Pads or not :P

Hmm, either my bad english or hair trigger trouble! By our pansies I meant our soccer players - I am a devout non-believer in soccer as a sport. However, take it easy tiger, I understand the pads!!

NFL against rugby's finest? I'm a rugby fan, I like to watch American Football (though I don't understand it too well) - and I would really like to see an NFL team play rugby, and a rugby team play American football - both seem to have great mixes of speed, tactics and power. Pads or not :P

I think Mike was referring to ykick's 'pansy game' comment, Med :lol:

:lol: I was indeed responding to ykick's OP!

I love the signature, Med! Brings back memories of sitting in a crowded theatre at midnight throwing raw hot dogs at the movie screen. Good times.

:lol: I was indeed responding to ykick's OP!

I love the signature, Med! Brings back memories of sitting in a crowded theatre at midnight throwing raw hot dogs at the movie screen. Good times.

Thanks Mike. But why the raw hot dogs??!! [i'm having a bad hair day]

Edit: Frankenfurter - doh...... It's your fault, you stole our language and made it fun ;-)

You clearly haven't watched the NRL (australian rugby league).

Before we get into a 'My Dad's Bigger Than Your Dad' competition, I read this: http://wesclark.com/rrr/pads_and_helmets.html and I think it very simply points out the fundamental differences - the objectives of the games are so different they require a certain build, the padding and well, lifespan!!

Peace to all :blush:

If the Americans think i didnt like American Football then you have no idea how much i truly hate Rugby League. The sooner the AFL relocate teams to the Gold Coast and Western Sydney the better so these poor people can get a taste of a real sport :D

Ykick, "England you must resist" is a bit confusing. I mean are you calling on England to resist something or calling on people to resist England?

Its calling on England to resist the invasion of American Football. Its a sport which must not be aloud to leave American boarders :D

Its calling on England to resist the invasion of American Football. Its a sport which must not be aloud to leave American boarders :D

:)

Y'know , Ykick , sometimes I think you & Ankit are pulling the wool over people's eyes. Too good to be true.

NASCAR's been to Japan already, and the junior league had a race at Montreal and at Mexico City this year.

NASCAR's been to Japan already, and the junior league had a race at Montreal and at Mexico City this year.

One thing at a time mate. The expansion of Nascar doesnt bother me nearly as much as the expansion of American Football. As for Junuor League (i asume thats baseball) being played in Japan as far as i know baseball has been popular in Japan since WW2 so thats no real problem. American Football seems to have a high number of complete w#nkers including that guy who killed his wife and that guy who was convicted of c#ck fighting.

......complete w#nkers including that guy who killed his wife and that guy who was convicted of c#ck fighting.

It was Michael Vick. Dog fighting. Besides this, what got my goat was that he tried to give it a racist spin when they were out to nail him.

One thing at a time mate. The expansion of Nascar doesnt bother me nearly as much as the expansion of American Football. As for Junuor League (i asume thats baseball) being played in Japan as far as i know baseball has been popular in Japan since WW2 so thats no real problem. American Football seems to have a high number of complete w#nkers including that guy who killed his wife and that guy who was convicted of c#ck fighting.

Was there any need for that?

Hmm?

I presume we'll now be discussing how Australian and American c#cks are bigger and better than English ones? Well, ours don't need any pads - so there :P

Trust ykick to bring things down to this level again.....

Was there any need for that?

Hmm?

I presume we'll now be discussing how Australian and American c#cks are bigger and better than English ones? Well, ours don't need any pads - so there :P

Trust ykick to bring things down to this level again.....

Sorry, don't know why, but some sort of 6th sense made me come here, I think it was because 'down to this level' was mentioned.

With all due respect to NFL players, you should not disrespect professional rugby players. Watch footage of the recent world cup, its just as hard-hitting as NFL.

And in rugby we dont have silly cheerleaders bouncing around!

With all due respect to NFL players, you should not disrespect professional rugby players. Watch footage of the recent world cup, its just as hard-hitting as NFL.

And in rugby we dont have silly cheerleaders bouncing around!

Are you kidding?!?!?!!? Cheerleaders are essential, much kinder on the eyes than having some knob dressed as a giant rabbit walk into the centre of Wembley :P

On a serious note, cheerleaders and all the other peripherals that come with most US sports make it far more of a family entertainment experience imo - some Brits harp on about how brash it can appear, but the way the US present sports widens the appeal to the maximum number of people - and it's cheerful, upbeat and positive, win-win; something we could do with some lessons in sometimes?

Jem, you really must watch 'Heroes' on Wednesday nights, then you'll get to like cheerleaders :naughty: