Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DriftingGuy

Your Most Happy F1 Moment

My most happy F1 moment came in the Italian grand prix of 1988. I had a lump in my throat at the finish of the race and was shedding tears of joy.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Italian_Grand_Prix

"The 1988 Italian Grand Prix was held on September 11, 1988 at Monza. It is remembered for the extremely improbable 1-2 finish for the Ferrari team, and the only race of the 1988 season that Team McLaren failed to win. The 1988 Formula 1 season was dominated by Team McLaren, who had won all 11 of the season's races before the Italian Grand Prix, and would go on to win the 4 remaining races. The team's strength was its turbocharged Honda engine, which was both powerful and reliable. The team's drivers were Frenchman Alain Prost (the 1985 and 1986 World Champion) and Ayrton Senna, a rising star from Brazil, who would go on to win the 1988 World Championship.

The 1988 Italian Grand Prix was the first Formula 1 race in Italy held after the death of Ferrari founder Enzo Ferrari, making it a very emotional event for his team and its passionate fans, the tifosi. However, with the McLaren dominance, hopes for a home victory seemed bleak.

Ayrton Senna duly took pole position, and led the race from the start with Alain Prost in second and the two Ferraris of Gerhard Berger and Michele Alboreto in a distant third and fourth respectively. The order showed no signs of changing until lap 35 of 51, when Prost suffered an extremely rare Honda engine failure. The Ferraris inherited second and third places, while Senna continued to dominate the race. This domination continued until there were two laps remaining in the race, when Senna attempted to lap the Williams of Jean-Louis Schlesser, who was substituting for the ill Nigel Mansell. Senna attempted to pass Schlesser on the inside of the first chicane, but he was too far behind and the two cars collided. Senna spun into the gravel trap and was forced to retire from the race. The Italian crowd was overjoyed as Berger inherited the win, with Alboreto taking second place."

Definately Damon Hill crossing the line to win the 1998 Belgian GP. Button's 2006 Hungary victory was fantastic and it finally shut up a lot of people on this forum who kept laying into him, but Hill's win for Jordan was an emotional day for so many people

1970 (I think, never too hot on the years!)

Emerson Fittipaldi won at Watkins Glen - this meant that Jochen Rindt won the World Chamionship. Rindt is one of my all time heroes. I wept buckets of joy.

Jochen Rindt was the first (and I hope, last) posthumous World Champion.

No particular moment.

Williams-Renault winning the double in 92, 93 , 96, 97, Bennetton-Renault taking the double in 1995, Renault taking the double in 2005, 2006.

It has to be this last Brazil GP. Kimi is the first driver I've truly supported, so I can't help it, hehe.

And this kind of threads makes me regret I didn't come into the world some years earlier to see some great things...

It has to be this last Brazil GP. Kimi is the first driver I've truly supported, so I can't help it, hehe.

And this kind of threads makes me regret I didn't come into the world some years earlier to see some great things...

definately gf!!!!!!

Suzuka 2005, seeing Raikkonen win from last place on the grid.

China 2006, seeing Schumi pull a masterful drive to win.

Indianapolis 2000, 2004, 2006 (not so much 2005), the times I went to the USGP and saw Schumi win.

So many... can't narrow them down but a selection:

- Multiple incidents from pre 92 but I don't have the clearest recollection as I was quite young when I started watching in the late 80s

- Donnington 93: Hell yes. I had a poster from this race for years.

- Senna winning at Adelaide 93: That was a special moment even before he died. Mclaren had earned wins than Ferrari, it was Ayrton's last race for Mclaren and he did it with complete control and dominance on a track I always loved.

- British Grandprix 1994: I was there in pit block H from where I saw the black flag, I saw all the goings on and I cheered Damon home.

- Adelaide 95: Madness. Last crazy race on a special track. Alesi and Schumi collide, Frentzen gives backmarkers the finger, DC crashes in the pits and Damon rounds out one of his less impressive years with a win.

- Monaco 96: One of the most amazing races of all time. Comic, scary, dramatic... it had it all.

- Suzuka 96: The moment where Damon took his ownly crown, (Okay, with JV out it was technically already his) and Murray was overcome with emotion. That was moving.

- Jerez 97: An amazing event with a great albeit somewhat engineered ending.

- Spa 98: Jordan's first win and hell, do I need to say what happened?

- Suzuka 98: Go Mika!

- Europe 99: 1 - 2 for Stewart, a team I loved getting a well earned victory.

Not much I can think of for 00 - 02... could just be my sucky memory. Unsurprisingly towards the end of 02 I was really losing faith in F1.

- USA 03: Schumi wins a mad race and Kimi keeps the title alive, Montoya gets one for his collection of black flags and everyone loses their heads.

- Spa 04: what a drive.

- Suzuka 05: one of the best races I've ever seen.

- Suzuka 06: KARMA! Finally!

- Brazil 07: a gifted driver earns his first title after some close calls.

When Takuma Sato in the Super Aguri passed Alonso at the Canadian GP this year.

That was gold...

but the guy had problems xD

- Europe 99: 1 - 2 for Stewart, a team I loved getting a well earned victory.

1-3 for Stewart.

L2 check facts.

kthx

The 2002 Australian Grand Prix. Mark Webber came fifth - there was a real feeling in the country at the time that if that's what he could do with the woeful, plank-like Minardi, we'd have another Jack Brabham pretty soon.

Saddest moment is Fuji 2007.

And what about Speed's 100 point lead? :(

Crack is whack.

Best moment I saw live was a tie between Scott Speed and Liuzzi both overtaking Schumi, Australia 06 and Scott Speed running faster than Kimi with no brakes Monaco 07. Honarable mention: Europe 07, Hungary 06, and Sato overtaking Alonso Canada 07.

The 2002 Australian Grand Prix. Mark Webber came fifth - there was a real feeling in the country at the time that if that's what he could do with the woeful, plank-like Minardi, we'd have another Jack Brabham pretty soon.

Saddest moment is Fuji 2007.

You read my mind :)

I wasn't at the 2002 AGP but I still have it on tape, and watch it once a year in the off season, great moment in Australian motorsport indeed.

And Fuji, that was hard to cope with, I had a whinge in front of the TV and managed to build a bridge and got over it.

Happiest day, Hard to say but I would say Sepang 99 would be up there.

and in the future, the day Vettle or Kubi win the WDC, hopefully by then they will have realized they should jump into a Ferrari and drive.