Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bro.

Fernando Alonso Has Left Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes

<H2 class="uppercase clear">McLaren confirm Alonso's departure</H2>

Friday 2nd November 2007

Fernando_Alonso_sutton_590325.jpg

McLaren have confirmed that Fernando Alonso has left the team by mutual consent with immediate effect.

Whilst the divorce was expected, its confirmation remains shocking in the sense that the marriage should have been a match made in heaven. Instead, Alonso's solitary season will be remembered only for acrimony and the nightmare spectre of the Stepneygate scandal that resulted in the team's expulsion from the Constructors' Championship due to the indiscretions of Alonso's email exchange with test driver Pedro de la Rosa.

Alonso's disgruntlement centred on his belief that the team favoured Lewis Hamilton throughout the British's driver rookie year. Having allegedly blackmailed Dennis to install him as the team's number one driver, Alonso's departure ironically effectively confers that status on Hamilton instead.

Hamilton can thus be regarded as the only winner in the split. McLaren have lost a driver who, despite the distraction of the interminable internal bickering, came within two points of winning a third successive World Championship. As for Alonso, with his route into Ferrari blocked by Felipe Massa's recent contract extension, his next move is bound to be a backwards step.

The Spaniard has won few friends over the past twelve months but, after months of denouncements and accusations, Alonso was noticeably contrite and dignified in his farewell to the team.

Wishing the entire team "the best for the future", he admitted: "I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win."

While no doubt partially relieved to have parted company with Alonso, the tone of Dennis' commentary was of disappointment and puzzlement that the alliance of Alonso and McLaren had so spectacularly failed to dovetail.

"He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward. We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge."

There was no indication from the team on who will replace Alonso as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate next season, but Nico Rosberg, Heikki Kovalkanien and Jenson Button are bound to be considered as the leading contenders.

Where will Fernando go?

Can anyone see Fernando and Nico Rosberg swap? Like it has been suggested lately?

I knew it was gonna happen but I'm suffering a little from shock I have to admit.

<H2 class="uppercase clear">McLaren statement in full</H2>

Friday 2nd November 2007

Fernando_Alonso_sutton_591598.jpg

McLaren have just confirmed the departure of Fernando Alonso in a press release. Here's their statement in full:

'Following a meeting between Fernando Alonso and McLaren, it was agreed that it would be in the best interests of both parties to bring the relationship to an end.

'The mutual parting of ways has not been discussed until now, since it was felt that any such discussion could have seriously disrupted the team's and Fernando's 2007 Formula 1 World Championship challenge. Both parties believe that this was the right decision.

FERNANDO ALONSO:

"Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out. I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home. I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win. Today's decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrile

Were discussing this in the Alonso to Renault thread......

Sorry Bro, didnt see it sadly

Then it's confirmed he's off to Renault.

Not necessarily, Red Bull look likely for 2008, and then Alonso would probably move on as some drivers contracts end.

Not necessarily, Red Bull look likely for 2008, and then Alonso would probably move on as some drivers contracts end.

One more door closes at Redbull

After ending speculation of a move to Red Bull, Horner added: "We are pleased to be linked to Alonso, it shows the progress that we have made in the last two years.

"But Renault are the only team next to Toyota who have a free space and who have not announced their drivers for next season."

Do Renault have a free space :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7096674.stm

So narrowing down Alonso options are Force India :P , Renault and Toyota...

Tough choice between the two....but i believe Toyota will up their bid on Alonso, esp after Brawn's signing at Honda....

Presumably he also expects Kovy to end up at McLaren.

Before Ron signs Heikki he will wait for Michael to knock on his door saying, "Honestly Ron, have you seen the times i was doing in Spain, honestly?" Ron will then tell him to f*ck off.

Alonso was a boil on the backside of a team only willing to give him equal equipment to his team mate.

Alonso is a great driver, and the fact that Hamilton makes me optomistic that we will have an English WDC soon

Alonsos behavior at McLaren has been shameful

Surely it's got to be Renault, the problem is that Fernando is rumoured to only want a one year contract so that he can join the red team in 2009 - but why would Flavio give him a one year contract?

Surely it's got to be Renault, the problem is that Fernando is rumoured to only want a one year contract so that he can join the red team in 2009 - but why would Flavio give him a one year contract?

Toyota would i believe do it. But i seriously don't think he would go to the red team. I think he is reffering to the blue and white team(BMW)