Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Lewis On Top Gear This Weekend.

I bet the Stig is still wondering how the hell he did that time. Hamilton didn't look like he was trying either, the track was very slippery, and the advantage gained from cutting corners would be very minimal - it was a great lap.

I bet the Stig is still wondering how the hell he did that time. Hamilton didn't look like he was trying either, the track was very slippery, and the advantage gained from cutting corners would be very minimal - it was a great lap.

Cutting the Hammerhead can improve your time quite abit as not only is it a shorter distance but it also improves his run out of the corner.

I haven't even watched it yet, Steve, but I can categorically say he was crap. He cut all the corners, he had the better car because his wasn't sabotaged and the Top Gear team helped him, in fact they are known as Top Gearilton now.

:lol:

To be honest i dont think too many of the other drivers took it TOO seriously. It was just a bit of fun as well so i dont know how much "brilliance" you could read into the times that were posted

I disagree. Any opportunity to showcase their skills would have them taking it very seriously indeed. They may laugh and joke on the show but they are ruthlessly competitive animals (apart form Damon, of course!)

Cutting the Hammerhead can improve your time quite abit as not only is it a shorter distance but it also improves his run out of the corner.

I disagree. Hammerhead is a braking zone. Because of the shape of the corner it almost has two apexes and Lewis would not have gained the advantage of getting on the throttle earlier by entering the corner in that way. He went slow in and fast out as opposed to staying to the outside to take a tight exit.

Maybe, but no matter how many adjustments you make to his lap, he has at least a second in hand over anyone. To be honest you just have to look at the way he takes the penultimate corner, stunning!

When you'reold enough to drive you will begin to appreciate the difference in grip between a greasy emulsified surface (like the one Lewis was driving on) and a fully wet road, which gives more grip with road tyres. His line through all the corners looked exemplary, to me. His balance and throttle manipulation to unsettle the back end at key times to use oversteer was a joy to behold.

But then in this current climate of backstabbing, ignorance and demoralising intent maybe we should just find bitter excuses to explain away what i thought was brilliance.

haha, I'm very sorry that I don't share the same overenthusiastic opinion about Hamilton and his brilliant driving as you. It doesn't mean though you can go offensive on me like that - not because I care or smth, but it's perfect evidence of your ignoration and blind adoration of Hammy (which is perfectly understandable - even Clarkson didn't know what to say when he saw LH cutting the hammerhead ).

I don't say that it wasn't brilliant piece of driving there, because it was obviously. But if he had gone airbone and spun like a million times you'd still say he was brilliant out there :D (and that's the difference between us, cause I wouldn't)

I reckon that if it was dry LH would beat Stig's time but it doesn't really mean anything. Top Gear test track times are not perfect benchmark for f1 drivers.

btw. Lewis is uncool - he drives a MB diesel with 24' wheels...a pimpwagon :D

I haven't even watched it yet, Steve, but I can categorically say he was crap. He cut all the corners, he had the better car because his wasn't sabotaged and the Top Gear team helped him, in fact they are known as Top Gearilton now.

I haven't watched it either so I agree with you, Paul! Besides, people who watched it are biased by what they saw. Those of us that didn't watch it are therefore in the best position to judge it objectively. And we say it was crap. :P

They may laugh and joke on the show but they are ruthlessly competitive animals (apart form Damon, of course!)

Yup, he's just an animal. Period.

I've watched the part before where Hammond drives the Renault F1 car and that is far more interesting than the Lewis lap. All of us armchair fans postulate all day about the quality (or lack thereof) of the current F1 driver. We like to diminish the physical and mental skills required to drive in modern F1. We talk of the advanced and 'easy to drive' cars of today and we compare the current drivers to the old timers and almost always the comparison favors the oldsters. I daresay the oldsters had more room for error in their driving. Perhaps the consequences of error were higher back then, but the current cars require a state of mental and physical preparedness that the drivers of yesteryear rarely had.

Hammond shows us that even the least of F1's current drivers are miles above us.

I'll have to watch it on watch it on Wednesday cos had to go to a Mass :angry: ! I hard that the Vauxhall VXR8 & that new Nurburgring special M3 that drives itself is supposd to be on!

haha, I'm very sorry that I don't share the same overenthusiastic opinion about Hamilton and his brilliant driving as you.

That's okay. You'll see the light. A sunday morning in the church with priest Puma will eductate you.

not because I care or smth,

Eh?

it's perfect evidence of your ignoration and blind adoration of Hammy.

How dare you. I save all my ignoration and blind adoration for Michael Schumacher.

I don't say that it wasn't brilliant piece of driving there, because it was obviously. But if he had gone airbone and spun like a million times you'd still say he was brilliant out there :D

Yes, that would be brilliant. I'm guessing he would be a little dizzy after that.

(and that's the difference between us, cause I wouldn't)

You only would have been happy with two million spins, right?

I reckon that if it was dry LH would beat Stig's time but it doesn't really mean anything. Top Gear test track times are not perfect benchmark for f1 drivers.

No one is saying it's the benchmark for F1 drivers, but don't dismiss so readily its significance.

btw, Lewis drove to the Autosport awards in a Mercedes Mclaren SLR. His cool is restored. :D

I've watched the part before where Hammond drives the Renault F1 car and that is far more interesting than the Lewis lap. All of us armchair fans postulate all day about the quality (or lack thereof) of the current F1 driver. We like to diminish the physical and mental skills required to drive in modern F1. We talk of the advanced and 'easy to drive' cars of today and we compare the current drivers to the old timers and almost always the comparison favors the oldsters. I daresay the oldsters had more room for error in their driving. Perhaps the consequences of error were higher back then, but the current cars require a state of mental and physical preparedness that the drivers of yesteryear rarely had.

Hammond shows us that even the least of F1's current drivers are miles above us.

Not in doubt, Mike. For me, it highlighted the fact that you need so much confidence to begin to approach the sorts of speeds that will then allow you to exploit the phenomenol levels of braking and grip. It's a catch twenty two with an F1 car. The slower you go the more chance you have of an accident.

I disagree. Any opportunity to showcase their skills would have them taking it very seriously indeed. They may laugh and joke on the show but they are ruthlessly competitive animals (apart form Damon, of course!)

Yep, they haven't got where they are without being competitive.

I disagree. Hammerhead is a braking zone. Because of the shape of the corner it almost has two apexes and Lewis would not have gained the advantage of getting on the throttle earlier by entering the corner in that way. He went slow in and fast out as opposed to staying to the outside to take a tight exit.

I agree with your disagree. The Stig cut the corner when he drove the Vauxhall in the wet. And Lewis just had a good line through the corner different to what most other people have used through there. Anyway, people have been cutting corners right throughout the series :lol:

It appears I might need to revise my list of fastest drivers....

Indeed, it appears you might. Though I hope you also take into account that the circuit is quicker when wet, than when it is hot and you have the aircon on.

I liken this to a comment made by Ricky Hatton recently. Ricky said that he always used to walk away from trouble when he was in school and still does even today. Do you think he did that because he can't fight or is a coward? Nope, absolutely not, he did it because he didn't have to prove he was tough and also because he didn't want to hurt anyone, as he most likely would. Lewis is the same with his car. He doesn't feel the need to have to prove anything to anyone.

Ahhhh! I can see where this is going ...

Lewis is a prick!

You know that's uncanny. There used to be a user called Kael, I liked him, but he was a tad lacking in the brain cell department if the truth be known, and he used to come out with exactly the same thing. What's even more uncanny is that you have a smiliar username. Honestly, the coincidences you find in this world are truly amazing :lol:

OK, I have to agree that Kael and I have alot in common, alot...

You know he'd still be here if someone named 'pumpdoc' did not suspend him. I cannot understand why he'd do such a thing when fellow memebrs have behaved far worse that him.

I am not that brainless though and neither is Kael ;)

Oh my...............................

btw, Lewis drove to the Autosport awards in a Mercedes Mclaren SLR. His cool is restored. :D

nope, cause he borrowed it from Alonso :}

As Steve has already mentioned, you would not gain much time by cutting Hammerhead. At most you might gain 0.25 to 0.5s. Even deducting a half second from his lap time you still get a phenomenal time. Hell, even deducting a whole second you still get a phenomenal time!

In my opinion, Hamilton went fast because he matched the Stig's tight sports car line through the last two corners. The other F1 drivers took those wide and that lost them some time. It's understandable why F1 drivers would have a different line through there because they are so used to driving a car with more power that you need to give a wide-ish entry to hit the apex and still make the exit. In a slower car you can effectively run a tighter corner radius and not scrub speed while making a clean exit. This method of using a tighter turning radius is also made easier in a front-wheel-drive car where you don't need to worry so much about the rear kicking out on exit.

Interesting. Why do you think he knew that and the others didn't? And how much time do you think you could gain that way? Does it account for the difference in times I wonder.

Interesting. Why do you think he knew that and the others didn't? And how much time do you think you could gain that way? Does it account for the difference in times I wonder.

Perhaps he's more adaptable. I certainly believe it accounts for the time differences much more than marginally cutting a braking, double-apex corner.