Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DriftingGuy

No.27 - Missing You

Or watch Moto GP.

There was an Australian World Champion this year with 27.

In 1990 Senna had the number 27, as did Alan Jones in 1980 and Patrick Tambay in 1983.

I miss Gilles too, and it was no secret really, he just had the car control and skill to be the fastest.

Edit: missed an 'a' from Tambay, silly me.

In 1990 Senna had the number 27, as did Alan Jones in 1980 and Patrick Tambay in 1983.

I miss Gilles too, and it was no secret really, he just had the car control and skill to be the fastest.

:thbup:

If we're quoting gutsy drivers to drive the number 27 then Mansell's Ferrari in 1989 is surely worth a mention.

Oh don't be silly, everyone knows Mansell was a pussy. :)

Or watch Moto GP.

There was an Australian World Champion this year with 27.

Or IndyCar. Dario won the title in the 27, now Hideki Mutoh drives it...

But yeah Gilles is awesome to watch on YouTube, too bad he died before I was born.

In a random side note, Jacques won the Indy 500 and CART championship in a number 27.

A bit like Sutil setting the fastest lap in practice at Monaco on a soaking wet track this season in a Spyker!

A bit like Sutil setting the fastest lap in practice at Monaco on a soaking wet track this season in a Spyker!

And Scott Speed was P5. What a glorious weekend that was. Best race ever in F1...too bad he sucks now. He got NASCARized and I don't like it. No more gangsta hat; now it's a single-colored lame one. No more sense of humor, now he just goes on and on about his lovely sponsors. No more telling like it is, just being thankful to be in ARCA. Basically, he's just another boring Lewis. Why, Scott, why?

And Scott Speed was P5. What a glorious weekend that was. Best race ever in F1...too bad he sucks now. He got NASCARized and I don't like it. No more gangsta hat; now it's a single-colored lame one. No more sense of humor, now he just goes on and on about his lovely sponsors. No more telling like it is, just being thankful to be in ARCA. Basically, he's just another boring Lewis. Why, Scott, why?
Cos he realised you're his only fan.

Cos he realised you're his only fan.

His only fan on TF1. If you had been at the SPEEDTV boards whenever there was Scott news, you'd realize he had a strong following.

ANYWAY, talking about losers like Sutil and Speed in a Gilles Villeneuve thread should be illegal. Kill me and Danny for ever thinking of talking about them.

Hey guy stop dreaming! Gilles drove in 1979 a Ferrari! A car that was the second faster of the seasons; Carlos Reutemann won 4 races with this car in 1979... and Gilles? Gilles was gutsy but not very clever on his early days... take look to his Silverstone accident, and the famous Zolder race when he didn

Loosers Eric?

Sutil is still in F1 and Speed raced in F1.

How can you call them loosers?

A looser is someone who gambles, smokes, drinks, takes drugs and dosent even try to get a job, let alone have one, and lives under a bridge.

I don't think that Adrian or Scott live a life like that Eric.

Loosers Eric?

Sutil is still in F1 and Speed raced in F1.

How can you call them loosers?

A looser is someone who gambles, smokes, drinks, takes drugs and dosent even try to get a job, let alone have one, and lives under a bridge.

I don't think that Adrian or Scott live a life like that Eric.

I'm the biggest Scott Speed fan you'll meet. So don't worry that I called him a loser.

Both Speed and Sutil are fine, but compared to Gilles...we're all losers.

But yes, I agree, Scotty and Adrian aren't losers by any means, Sutil's got a bright future and Scott's got a tough time ahead in stock cars.

Hey guy stop dreaming! Gilles drove in 1979 a Ferrari! A car that was the second faster of the seasons; Carlos Reutemann won 4 races with this car in 1979... and Gilles? Gilles was gutsy but not very clever on his early days... take look to his Silverstone accident, and the famous Zolder race when he didn

There is one serious factual inaccuracy in your post that leads you to make an erroneous conclusion about Gilles Villeneuve. I feel it is important to clear it up.

Gilles' teammate in 1979 was the South African Jody Sheckter who was brought into the team as teamleader and no.1 driver to replace the departing Carlos Reutemann. 1979 was to be Sheckter's year. This was the agreed arrangement at Ferrari. Villeneuve dutifully followed team orders without complaint or feeling mistreated. It was clear for everyone to see though that he was much faster than Sheckter whose goal was to collect points and win the championship whereas Gilles' goal was to try to go as fast as his car could handle in every lap of every race which in the end and with hindsight was a major contributing factor in costing him the championship that year. Nevertheless, his foot to the pedal and daredevil approach to racing endeared him to everyone At the Italian Grand Prix, Ferrari finished Ist and 2nd and Sheckter clinched the driver's title with Gilles as runnerup. That day, Gilles could have broken team orders to race Sheckter if he had wanted to. But he properly sat behind his teammate for the whole race and never challenged him for the lead.

Gilles was from a bygone era, where honour and dignity were just as important as talent. He was a man of his word and he never broke it. That is why he did not win the 1979 driver's title. And as for your assertion that he was not one of the best of his era, I advise you to speak to Niki Lauda, Jody Sheckter, Alan Jones, Jacques Laffite, Rene Arnoux, Nelson Piquet, Carlos Reutemann, Mario Andretti or any other of his contemporaries who raced with him between 1977 and 1982 in Formula One and ask them what they thought of Gilles.

In any era, there is only one other driver that possessed the talent, the skill and the decency that Gilles had, and that was Jim Clark. Senna and Schumacher may have been very fast and very talented but the manner of some of their wins tarnishes their image somewhat to all but their most devoted fans. They created enemies from within and without the sport. Gilles raced fairly. He never resorted to dirty tricks. His racing was based on pure racecraft and sublime skill. And for that everybody adored Villeneuve. There was no Gilles Villeneuve bashing. He was far too respected by everyone, including diehard fans of other drivers. You had to be alive back and to have witnessed the "myth" with your eyes to understand and appreciate the feelings and emotions that surfaced whenever Gilles stepped into his car. It was a magic but all too brief moment in F1 history.

As for me, I was lucky enough to be alive when Gilles was racing and yes I will admit I was a very devoted fan of his. Saturday 8th May 1982 will forever be ingrained in my mind and emotions as one of the saddest days of my life. I lost my hero that day. I have never had any others since.

RIP Gilles.

Great post :clap3: . BUT, if there had been the internet back then, he would of been bashed - some people feel it is their duty to bash drivers.

There is one serious factual inaccuracy in your post that leads you to make an erroneous conclusion about Gilles Villeneuve. I feel it is important to clear it up.

Gilles' teammate in 1979 was the South African Jody Sheckter who was brought into the team as teamleader and no.1 driver to replace the departing Carlos Reutemann. 1979 was to be Sheckter's year. This was the agreed arrangement at Ferrari. Villeneuve dutifully followed team orders without complaint or feeling mistreated. It was clear for everyone to see though that he was much faster than Sheckter whose goal was to collect points and win the championship whereas Gilles' goal was to try to go as fast as his car could handle in every lap of every race which in the end and with hindsight was a major contributing factor in costing him the championship that year. Nevertheless, his foot to the pedal and daredevil approach to racing endeared him to everyone At the Italian Grand Prix, Ferrari finished Ist and 2nd and Sheckter clinched the driver's title with Gilles as runnerup. That day, Gilles could have broken team orders to race Sheckter if he had wanted to. But he properly sat behind his teammate for the whole race and never challenged him for the lead.

Gilles was from a bygone era, where honour and dignity were just as important as talent. He was a man of his word and he never broke it. That is why he did not win the 1979 driver's title. And as for your assertion that he was not one of the best of his era, I advise you to speak to Niki Lauda, Jody Sheckter, Alan Jones, Jacques Laffite, Rene Arnoux, Nelson Piquet, Carlos Reutemann, Mario Andretti or any other of his contemporaries who raced with him between 1977 and 1982 in Formula One and ask them what they thought of Gilles.

In any era, there is only one other driver that possessed the talent, the skill and the decency that Gilles had, and that was Jim Clark. Senna and Schumacher may have been very fast and very talented but the manner of some of their wins tarnishes their image somewhat to all but their most devoted fans. They created enemies from within and without the sport. Gilles raced fairly. He never resorted to dirty tricks. His racing was based on pure racecraft and sublime skill. And for that everybody adored Villeneuve. There was no Gilles Villeneuve bashing. He was far too respected by everyone, including diehard fans of other drivers. You had to be alive back and to have witnessed the "myth" with your eyes to understand and appreciate the feelings and emotions that surfaced whenever Gilles stepped into his car. It was a magic but all too brief moment in F1 history.

As for me, I was lucky enough to be alive when Gilles was racing and yes I will admit I was a very devoted fan of his. Saturday 8th May 1982 will forever be ingrained in my mind and emotions as one of the saddest days of my life. I lost my hero that day. I have never had any others since.

RIP Gilles.

You are so right!

:thbup::congrats:

I, fortunately, was old enough to watch Gilles back in the day.

F1 was much different then and it is impossible to describe how the sport was.

The best way for me to try to sum it up to all of you who weren't around in those days....

Here we are today 25 years later talking about Gilles ... a driver who never won the title.... In 25 years from now I don't think the same discussion will be said about any of the current drivers who don't win a title.

RIP Gilles.

I saw every single F1 race from 1977 to today I saw every race Gilles drove and believe me never Andretti, Reutemann, Lauda and many of the driver of late 70

RIP Gilles.

I wish I could add something to this fine post, but I cannot; it's perfect as it is.

RIP Gilles.

As others have said, great post :congrats:

I have the 1:18 model of Jody Sheckter's 1979 Ferrari 312T on display at home and everytime I look at it I don't think of Jody but it's Gilles who I think about. I was a couple of months old when Gilles was taken from us, but to listen to some of you here who where blessed with seeing his ability in and out of the c#ckpit makes me have the greatest repect and admiration for him.

RIP Gilles

Thanks for sharing you're thoughts on the ledgend guys, it's appreciated.