Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Button's Comments On Lewis

Hamilton may never be champion, says Button

By Alan BaldwinSunday, November 11th 2007, 10:57 GMT

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton may have blown his best chance of winning the Formula One title by failing to secure this year's championship, according to fellow-Briton Jenson Button.

"He (Hamilton) is a great driver, but there are lots of great drivers in Formula One who did not have his package," the Honda driver told the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

"What would worry me is the lost opportunity. You can't say in my sport: 'Oh well, I only missed out by a point so next year I'll go one better.' It doesn't work out like that."

Hamilton had a 12-point lead going into the penultimate race of the season in China but ended up losing the title by a single point to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen after a nightmare season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix last month.

"He should be sick as a dog because another chance like that might not come round again," said Button.

22-year-old Hamilton, who won four races in his rookie season, will start next year as a title favourite.

-Autosport

=========================================================

I don't really get Jenson's comments, I suppose he is bored like everyone else in the off season. Still though I don't see the point of stating the obvious, he [Hamilton] 'might' not get another chance like that, then again he might. I think it's kind of likely he will since he is a top rated driver already and he's still young, which means he has years ahead of him, and each of those years will be in a top team like Mclaren - sort of unlike you Mr.Button. Also Button's comment about 'he should be sick as a dog', hmm, so Button seems to think Lewis should live in regret, personally I think that would be the wrong attitude altogether - as does Hamilton, going by his interview on Parkinson last night. I also tend to disagree with Autosport's final sentance, is Hamilton the title favourite for next year? - surely if anyone it's Raikkonen, who has bonded with Ferrari and mastered the tyres.

Anyway, I only posted this because I'm bored.

Bored is right. The news sites are doing their best, however, to jazz things up. I bet the click-through title for this article was something like:

"Lewis is a loser, and will always be a loser. F1 is my sport - says Button"

I do understand his point, it is a valid one, but considering the image that he's been replaced as the UK's Big Hope, he should have avoided that topic... makes him look whiney.

"He (Hamilton) is a great driver, but there are lots of great drivers in Formula One who did not have his package," the Honda driver told the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

-----------

Looks like Jenson needs some Enzyte.

I haven't interpreted his words like he's whining.

He's a bit telling us about his experience in F1 and saying that a lost year is a lost year,and Lewis has missed a possible WC,and next year who knows what will happen...he might get stuck in a lemon for a few years,as it has happened to him(well,not so disastrously) or go to another team and not be lucky either,or another Ferrari dominance era (no,please) or who knows..

I didn't see it as sour grapes from Button. Rather he was stating the fact that not all teams continue their success from one year to the next. Lewis isn't going to have such an easy go of it next year. Kimi's comfortable in his new team and acclimatised to the Bridgestones. Alonso is not going to be around to copy his setups. And least we forget, McLaren's 2008 car is going to be scrutinized to hell and back. Even then it could turn out to be a dud. Their even year cars of late seem to be horrid.

I agree with George, Button's loved the attension earlier and how he gets none of it, Lewis gets way more money, via sponsership, and will 90% get a better car than Jenson and thus score more wins and points than Jenson. He is just regretting his bad choice of going to Honda....

LOL good one Eric. Such are the trials of having the first black driver in F1 I guess. :blink:

I haven't interpreted his words like he's whining.
I didn't see it as sour grapes from Button.

I want to clarify that I don't think he *was* whining, however he should be conscious of the perceptions about Lewis and him, and therefore should have just avoided the topic. I'm sure some reporter asked him a queston, he didn't just come out of the blue with this... he makes a valid point, but for PR purposes, Jenson should let someone else make it.

What Button is saying is pure common sense. If last season all drivers had had Ferraris, McLarens, or whatever, the standings would be different.

If Hamilton sticks to McLaren and RD is able to manage the team properly, he will have another shot at the WC. If Hamilton doesn't have the means, he will not win. It is evident that Hamilton lost an opportunity this year.

Interestingly, a while back someone posted a list of WC winners and how many seasons it took them to win their first WC. For example, it took kimi six seasons to take it. Of course, the list is meaningless if it doesn't include how many of those seasons prior to the first win, a driver had a chance to win at all. If that is taken into account, the lst would be much much different. It isn't black and white, naturally, but.... any takers?

Buttons right when he says Lewis might not get another chance.

Buttons wrong when he says Lewis might be feeling like a sick dog, cos Button must be feeling like a dead dog!

Button is echoing the statements I made a couple of weeks ago. LH blew a golden opportunity and there are no bankable next years in F1. He may never get a better chance then he had this year.

I don't think Button's jealous. Button knows what it means to drive a crap car for years without having a shot at the title. So no wonder that JB thinks Lewis blew a golden chance.

[quote name='LabradoRacer' post='228871' date='Nov 11 2007, 09:10 PM']I don't think Button's jealous. Button knows what it means to drive a crap car for years without having a shot at the title. So no wonder that JB thinks Lewis blew a golden chance.[/quote]
Whats done is done. By saying this Button is not tellling anything new, and there is no point in regretting what happened. He has to look forword and hope things work out....

Nothing in them comments, Jenson is just stating the obvious, this is a tough sport and everyone knows how volatile it is, when you get a chance you really have to make the most of it. Jenson just talking from experience really.

Button is right that Lewis lost a golden oppertunity to win the WDC title this season.And he might not get another run of good luck to be in such a comfortable situation ever.After all this is f1 and nothing is certain in this sport.

What Button is saying is pure common sense. If last season all drivers had had Ferraris, McLarens, or whatever, the standings would be different.

If Hamilton sticks to McLaren and RD is able to manage the team properly, he will have another shot at the WC. If Hamilton doesn't have the means, he will not win. It is evident that Hamilton lost an opportunity this year.

Yes. Isn't the first bit of your post shocking. And you're right. If Lewis maintains his current form, he will almost certainly get plenty of extra chances. He doesn't need to worry imho. Frankly I don't think the WDC is worth much in itself anyway, so neither should he.

Frankly I don't think the WDC is worth much in itself anyway, so neither should he.

True enough. I bet Kimi feels a bit hollow, deep down.

Ofcourse there is always the chance that Ron Dennis will fall out of love with Lewis Hamilton and fall in love with the new driver. And with whichever driver the team principal has a love affair with, that driver usually does better than the driver who has been left out in the cold. Ron's affections have a very deep impact on how a driver does. Very strange things go on a Maclaren.

Actually for some reason I was thinking that Lewis may never win the title for some reason?

Think about it, He drove car 2 this last year, He finished 2nd 5 times to my memory, 4 consecutively, I think thats more than may other driver in the field?

And next season he will drive car No. 22 and he was SUPPOSED to be No.2 to Fernando Alonso in the past season before it became clear that Lewis is every match to be a Equal to Fernando in More ways than one! ( Think of the points tally).

is it just me and JB thinking along the same lines here as me? am I thinking along the lines of a Famous Grand Prix Driver? if so WOW!!!!

And McLaren and Honda seem to Parallel each other think of 04 and 06 Honda were extremely competitive and Mclaren cars were absolute dogs in those years and in 03, 05 and 07 the McLaren's were strong and the B.A.R/Honda's were poor machines so maybe next season it may all change again for Honda especially after their Latest singing (Apparently) Ross Brawn...

Yes. Isn't the first bit of your post shocking. And you're right. If Lewis maintains his current form, he will almost certainly get plenty of extra chances. He doesn't need to worry imho. Frankly I don't think the WDC is worth much in itself anyway, so neither should he.

S-T-A-Y away from that razor, man...

Ofcourse there is always the chance that Ron Dennis will fall out of love with Lewis Hamilton and fall in love with the new driver. And with whichever driver the team principal has a love affair with, that driver usually does better than the driver who has been left out in the cold. Ron's affections have a very deep impact on how a driver does. Very strange things go on a Maclaren.

Yep, it is called RD.

S-T-A-Y away from that razor, man...

<-------- :lol: You *like* this beard? Now your Fernando lovin' makes sense: you must like 'em hairy... :P

-----------

:lol: