Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Marriage And Relationships

Just interested in knowing the opinions of people here, my friends tend to be my age and therefore hopelessly naive and/or ignorant.

Answer any questions you want to out of the ones that apply and ignore the rest.

Are you Married/ have you been married?

If yes,

Are you happily married?

Ever regretted it?

Did you look for someone to marry, or did you find the man/ woman of your dreams?

Or did you just settle for something, when you thought you were onto a good thing?

If no,

Do you plan to get married?

Why/ why not?

How hard would you look for someone to marry?

Would you settle on someone or not marry unless you found someone who is practically perfect?

etc.

[quote name='cavallino' post='229480' date='Nov 15 2007, 07:31 AM']Just interested in knowing the opinions of people here, my friends tend to be my age and therefore hopelessly naive and/or ignorant.

Answer any questions you want to out of the ones that apply and ignore the rest.

If yes,

Are you happily married?

Ever regretted it?

Did you look for someone to marry, or did you find the man/ woman of your dreams?

Or did you just settle for something, when you thought you were onto a good thing?

If no,

Why/ why not?

Would you settle on someone or not marry unless you found someone who is practically perfect?
etc.[/quote]

I got married seven years ago. We dated for nine years and lived together for two years before getting hitched. I was nineteen when i met her and she was sixteen. We went to the same school together although never spoke whilst we were there. I met her at a party about two years after i had left. I recognised her immediately because she had beautiful long blonde hair. She didn't recognise me atall because i look like the arse end of a dog.

I am blissfully, scarily happy. We are very lucky that we have grown together and not drifted in different directions. We have a very strong core love between us and nver go to bed on an argument. She is without question the best thing in my life and i have never regretted marrying her for a second.

In my opinion, too many people flee when things get tricky or when they think the grass is greener. It's one hell of a commitment (if you care about honouring commitments) but it's a wonderful institution.

That is absolutely fantastic to read Dribbler.

It sounded so honest and from the heart

congratulations to you .

I'm not actually married to Mrs Gorilla. We cohabit. In sin. We are soul mates and quite honestly neither of us believe any sort of ceremony is needed. We'd known each other for 25 years before doing anything about it. Circumstance and timing.

And, like Steve and Mrs Dribbler, we are scarily happy with our lot.

Sickening, isn't it?

Bro, don't try so hard.

I'm answering on the (wishful??) hope that I'll be financially independent one day.

Here it goes:

Actually, I wonder what a marriage is. To me it's simply the coming together of 2 persons who love each other. For me, living in is the same as being married. Why, then the need to marry? Perhaps, it's some sort of assurance to the girl that I'm not a punk who wants to tap her a## & pussy. I will get married only as a sort of assurance to the girl.... a sort of guarantee. I don't think it makes sense to spend lavishly on a wedding.

How hard will I try to find the girl of my dreams? I don't know. I only hope that better sense will prevail over any sense of desperation that may be present. I think I would not rush into a relationship just for the sake of not remaning single.

Just interested in knowing the opinions of people here, my friends tend to be my age and therefore hopelessly naive and/or ignorant.

If yes,

Are you happily married?

Ever regretted it?

If no,

Why/ why not?

etc.

Married?

Yes

Happily?

Understatement

Did I plan to get married?

Never really thought about it ..... just like I can't really say I looked to find someone to marry.

I played the field, notched the belt a few times, and always had a good time, but when I found my wife I just new things were different. The more time spent together the harder it was to be without her. And I never met her going to clubs or at parties, although after we dated, turns out we both partied frequently and at the same clubs.

I met her at my work place. She came in a few times over a monthly period looking to purchase an item that I had to order for her. We got to know each other and then I finally asked her out on a date. Really odd for me cause I never went out on dates. Any of my girlfriends were picked up in clubs or on the party scene.

I asked this girl to go out with me on New Years Day... for brunch and then called it off that morning 'cause I was too hung-over (idiot) But she didn't get upset (later dicovered she was a bit too that day) so we decided on the next day

Jan 2 1995 we went to go for brunch 10:00 am at a local pub........ we left the pub 11:30 pm that night, I brought her home , gave her a kiss good night.

Ten years of marriage (whos counting) two children later.... the Honeymoon continues!!!!

Sorry if a bit sappy ... but Cav hit that one spot for me.... I know it is a cliche but I am the luckiest!!!!

As I tell people....... I married myself with tits (just a joke)

Single

I do plan to get married if any woman is silly enough to say yes.

I enjoy the thought of spending my life with someone I love, it's actually quite a big deal to me, sadly.

At the moment, not at all.

I wouldn't settle... It has to be love, or theres no point, and if it's love it's not settling.

Yes, I'm married.

Are you happily married?

Most certainly.

Ever regretted it?

Not for a minute.

Met her by chance.

Nah... I waited til I was 40. Would have waited forever if I hadn't found the right person.

She is without question the best thing in my life and i have never regretted marrying her for a second.

:D

I only hope that better sense will prevail over any sense of desperation that may be present. I think I would not rush into a relationship just for the sake of not remaning single.

Definitely wise. You're young: have fun! Russ is a man of few words but they're always well-chosen. Like he said, if you try too hard, you'll scare people off.

As I tell people....... I married myself with tits (just a joke)

Well, at least you married upwards! :P Great story again.

Nah... I waited til I was 40. Would have waited forever if I hadn't found the right person.

Yeah. Your wife's very beautiful! One of my uncles married for the first time in his early-40s, and is now very happy, with a daughter too.

As to Cav's questions: I'm single and don't plan on getting married for at least 10 years. When I find the right person, I would like to get married, if only for the tradition: Russ has a good point that it doesn't really matter whether you marry or not imho. I don't really believe in practically perfect people, so I would settle for someone I loved, faults and all. Right now looks are very important to me, but when I get married I will care more about the woman's character, personality, intelligence: someone to have a happy, wholesome family life with.

No, but I am pretty much committed to my girlfriend, since I live with her and am acting as the father of her daughter (who isn't my biological daughter, a step-daughter for lack of a better word)

If yes,

Are you happily married?

I'm happy with my current relationship, which is like "marriage light"

Ever regretted it?

Never regretted anything I've done, and I sure as hell I hope I never regret a marriage, because then that marriage ain't lasting long...

Basically, I knew my gf for 10 years as a friend, but both of us had some feelings. I was going to tell her how I really felt one day, but when I met her she told me her "good news" that she had a boyfriend (who she'd later marry and have a kid with)...so then I still stayed as her friend, and just didn't think about it, and it just kind of worked out in the end...I mean, not in the best way, obviously her getting divorced and the kid being confused (only 10 months old) and having to basically have two dads has gotta suck, but I think we're all happy now. So I guess you could say she's the woman of my dreams...she's the only straight woman that I've had a relationship with for this long, and it's really been working out now that it's on "the next level"

Nope. She's not just something. She's really, really special to me, and that's the only way I'll have it.

If no,

Yes.

Why/ why not?

Having a wife and kids and just having a nice family has been a dream of mine. I didn't have a very great family, as a few of you know from Windows Live, I really only had 2 family members that I liked and still do like, so it would just be nice to kind of be a part of a family where everyone gets along. Marriage is confusing; I'm not sure why we get married, other than wanting commitment...but do you really need to be legally committed to stick with eachother? Still, I want to get married...and I probably will...

I'm not a big believer in looking for someone to marry; I've always just had girlfriends and see how far it gets. I've never really said "I want to have a wife," more of "I want a gf..." This time, it was a little different, knowing she had a daughter and all, I really had to commit pretty fast, and it's been fine...

I've previously answered this, I think.

Nope.

Why/ why not?

I don't see it as something necessary.The only necessary thing would be to want to live together (to share your life with him) and understand each other...

And,if the relationship ends,I find the word "divorced" very ugly.Remember Ross Geller from "Friends"?The-man-of-the-3-divorces? :nono1::P

To those who are married or in a relationship:

Does the magic wear off? Do you have to work hard to keep the relationship working? Does the marriage/relationship become a habit of sorts a few months or years down the line?

Nope.

:(

Why/ why not?

I don't see it as something necessary.The only necessary thing would be to want to live together (to share your life with him) and understand each other...

And,if the relationship ends,I find the word "divorced" very ugly.Remember Ross Geller from "Friends"?The-man-of-the-3-divorces? :nono1::P

Most divorces are started by women though. :)

Does the magic wear off? Do you have to work hard to keep the relationship working? Does the marriage/relationship become a habit of sorts a few months or years down the line?

According to research, all relationships inevitably weaken with time. It's kind of sad to read :(

I guess you try and base relationships on things you feel could last, rather than on things you know won't.

You have to want it to work.

I'm answering on the (wishful??) hope that I'll be financially independent one day.

Here it goes:

Actually, I wonder what a marriage is. To me it's simply the coming together of 2 persons who love each other. For me, living in is the same as being married. Why, then the need to marry? Perhaps, it's some sort of assurance to the girl that I'm not a punk who wants to tap her a## & pussy. I will get married only as a sort of assurance to the girl.... a sort of guarantee. I don't think it makes sense to spend lavishly on a wedding.

How hard will I try to find the girl of my dreams? I don't know. I only hope that better sense will prevail over any sense of desperation that may be present. I think I would not rush into a relationship just for the sake of not remaning single.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is, but it sounds good. I think it's just a symbolic way of saying that the "party years" are over and it's time to begin a new life, one that is still fun, but for different reasons. And you are a punk who wants to tap her a## and pussy, so don't lie :mf_tongue: .

Spending lavishly on a wedding? That's not my decision, now is it? If the woman feels that it is a day so special, and one would hope that she does or else why is she marrying you, that spending money and making it an extravagent event will make it perfect, then let her do it. It's her day, let her have it. If she'd rather spend it in a more emotional way, a deeper, less flashy way, then fine by me, too. But it's a big celebration, to me, because it's a big accomplishment and really a huge change in one's life. I think it makes more sense to have a big fancy wedding than a big fancy birthday party.

Based on what I saw with my parents, I think the relationship changes a lot over time, but I think the magic doesn't wear off. I mean, it's different when you get older, dates are different, physical relationships kind of disappear, etc. I think marriage is a huge change from dating, based on what I think it is, but I don't think the magic wears off if the couple is right for eachother.

Hey one more thing, guys. If you're a male, don't make the female change her last name. Let her name be what it was.

Let her name be what she wants it to be. Don't make her keep her name, either. If she wants my last name, she can have it. If she wants her own, she can have it, and if she wants to hyphenate and have both, she can have that, too.

No, no and no. Spontaneity is the key, otherwise you've just got a comfortable pair of shoes. Always make time for surprises. And don't ever grow up.

yes, my friends who are mostly elder to me by 3-4 years do claim. The best way to keep a relation working is by not over working. Give each other enough space.

And always get kissed before you get_ _ _ _ ed.

Would have waited forever if I hadn't found the right person.

Very good advice.

I guess all of those things could happen to some and do happen to many but i think it's because they weren't truly in love in the first place. When you are truly in love, you never wonder whether you will stay together through troubled times, you just both know that you will.

Hey one more thing, guys. If you're a male, don't make the female change her last name. Let her name be what it was.

Well, i'm old fashioned. I like my woman to be mrs dribbler and she doesn't mind. Her maiden name was bitchersonfuknob so i guess it was better.

According to research, all relationships inevitably weaken with time. It's kind of sad to read :(

I guess you try and base relationships on things you feel could last, rather than on things you know won't.

I would be interested to see that research. My relationship grows stronger as the years roll on.

:(

Most divorces are started by women though. :)

Cause men cheat on them. :)

As if you were who decides it...She is the one who says if she'll change it of not.

It's not a custom here,but if it were I wouldn't do it.

(Unless I found myself in the unfortunate case of Mrs. Dribbler)

The feelings do apparently change over time. In some ways they get less intense, but maybe deeper in some other sense.

Well, i'm old fashioned. I like my woman to be mrs dribbler and she doesn't mind. Her maiden name was bitchersonfuknob so i guess it was better.

Quite right! I'm old-fashioned too I guess, but I think it's nice when they change their name.

I would be interested to see that research. My relationship grows stronger as the years roll on.

Here's some research. Cav can no doubt find us some better stuff.

Cause men cheat on them. :)

Actually the more I think about it, the more I do worry about divorce. The thought of parting with my hard-earned millions is too much...

As if you were who decides it...She is the one who says if she'll change it of not.

Good God! We have a feminist on the forum! Ewwwwwww. :nono1:

Good God! We have a feminist on the forum! Ewwwwwww. :nono1:

:nono1: I know,I dislike Erin,too.But let's forget all this and share some love.

(group hug)