Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jez

2008 Gearbox Challenge

Hey folks, I was bored so thought i'd post this-

After having developed gearboxes that are as accurate as Swiss watches the engineers are taking on a new challenge in 2008: to make them last four grands prix! The Renault team members at Enstone will take the challenge this winter.

The images transmitted by the on-board cameras during grand prix no longer even raise an eyebrow. Twenty years ago they would have had engineers hopping around like demented rabbits! On the screen the cars can be seen lined up on the grid waiting for the lights to go out. When the start is given, the 22 drivers let in the clutch on the steering wheel and press the paddle with their right hand at regular intervals. Each pressure and the car changes up a gear. The driver

Semi automatics with paddles are already on BMW M cars, Ferraris and VAG cars. But to my knowledge the VAG system is different.

As I understand it, the VW almost-seamless shift type setup (DSG) uses a twin clutch system, with one clutch at any one time linked to the drive train and the other kept spinning constantly. When you go to change gear, as there is a clutch ready to engage it switches over to that giving gear shift times of sub 0.1 sec. Whether this works or not I cannot say, sounds impressive though.

The only thing I do wonder is how much it would cost if it goes wrong :-O the more bits there are to go wrong the more likely it will and be bl**dy expensive to fix when it does!

As I understand it, the VW almost-seamless shift type setup (DSG) uses a twin clutch system, with one clutch at any one time linked to the drive train and the other kept spinning constantly. When you go to change gear, as there is a clutch ready to engage it switches over to that giving gear shift times of sub 0.1 sec. Whether this works or not I cannot say, sounds impressive though.

The only thing I do wonder is how much it would cost if it goes wrong :-O the more bits there are to go wrong the more likely it will and be bl**dy expensive to fix when it does!

Indeed and it's expensive enough already!

I may be in the minority, but I still shudder at the thought of automatics, though semi-automatics might not be so bad.

Thanks for the article Jez :thbup:

For me though, a gearbox is a gearbox. The Red Bulls will never last.

Thats what Im scared of. :( Please Red Bull give Nando a 1 year deal and hand Webber back to the Flav!

Red Bull should really look into doing a deal with Renault to supply them with the gearbox aswell as the engine. This maybe a little late as the RB4 would be well progressed beyond the point where Geoff Willis and Adrian Newey would want to adapt the chassis to another gearbox.

Is that allowed.

'That allowed', is that a horrible boy/girl group hybrid?

The purchasing of other teams gearboxes.

My logic being that if it is, I can't understand why others have not done it.

Sharing gearboxes is allowed - Williams as part of the deal to get their hands on the works Toyota engines, gave Toyota their seamless shift gearbox.

I can understand it between teams like that, who have a direct relationship but for arguments sake could McLaren approach Ferrari and buy their boxes if they so wished.

Yes, it's all above board for teams to do this. I they enter into an agreement, both teams would adhere to the agreement. It's the same with the customer supply of engines.