Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aussief1

Final Test Of 2007

Thought it might be worth starting a thread about the final test for 2007. Some interesting things revolve around this 4 day test at Jerez in the south of Spain.

We have:

* Timo Glock getting his first test with him new employer Toyota

* Ross Brawn's first appearance with Honda

* The evaluation the teams have of the Bridgestone slicks

* Nico Hulkenberg getting a test with Williams

* Michael Schumacher set to make another testing appearance possibly alongside Kimi

* The battle for the race drive at Force India

* Teams getting accustomed to the new standard ECU

* Driver getting to grips to life without Traction Control

* New aero & suspension developments on hybrid cars

And many many more points of interest.

Discuss.............................

Analysis: McLaren, Renault adopt fairings

By Craig Scarborough Tuesday, December 4th 2007, 16:51 GMT

Although much of the focus for onlookers at this week's final Formula One test of the year in Jerez is on new drivers, a closer look at the action shows just as much effort by the teams has been placed on important new parts aimed at 2008.

Several teams brought development parts for track evaluation, and one of the more interesting avenues being looked it as the adoption of front wheel fairings.

During the 2007 season, Ferrari and Toyota raced with these parts, while Williams were also seen testing their own versions in late season testing. Now, however, both McLaren and Renault have joined the ranks of teams trying them out.

The fairings streamline the front wheel and remain static while the wheel turns. Although some could view them as illegal 'moveable aerodynamic devices', they are allowed because their position means they are deemed part of the brake duct.

Their true function, though, is much more complex, as Pascal Vasselon of Toyota told autosport.com.

"You are playing with the front wheel wake, it's not only a drag reduction item," he said. "It's not just something that you put on the car."

A Formula One car's open wheel creates a lot of drag, lift and turbulence. Teams have been working with CFD to understand how the air flows around a spinning wheel, and these fairings are one solution to tackle the problem of open wheels.

The fairing on the front wheels calms the unsteady wake created by the wheel and this aids the flow along the rest of the car.

Only three teams were able to get a grip on the impact of the fairings during the 2007 season and run them. With changes needed to aero and front uprights, it was no easy matter getting from concept to track.

Williams, for example, had to make a big push to get their version on track. The team's technical director Sam Michael said: "You can imagine it's a bit complicated to keep something still while everything around it is moving.

"We had problems with it before we could take it to a race. So we had a revised design at Barcelona (testing last month)."

As the teams are now running versions of their 2008 suspension on 2007 cars, the changes to the front upright can be made. This is why so many teams are now likely to adopt the fairings.

McLaren ran their revised front uprights and wheel nuts, but as yet the actual fairing has yet to appear. Renault's version features a much deeper inset wheel nut than those of rival teams.

Source: http://www.totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=237793

------------------------------------------------

Looks like the front wheel fairings (Hubcap's) are going to become a standard bit of aero come season 2008. Looking forward to seeing McLarens take on the concept. They look likely to have them on the car later on in the four day test. If you look closely at pictures of the MP4 - 22 you can see the mounts on the hub of the front wheels.

I personally think that the FIA will ban them soon. We will either have a accident in the pit lane with mechanics having trouble with the extra mountings on the rattle guns, or we will see one of them go flying off after contact with another car.

I don't mind the rear wheel fairings, but i'm not a fan of the front wheel fairings. Weird I know :wacko:

I must also say why are Honda not running in their testing black? They always looked hot in black. I also hope to ****ing god they don't run the earth livery again next year... I really liked it at first but the novelty wore off and I now hate it!

Also aussief1 i agree that the FIA should ban them, though my reason for this is that they look stupid and ugly! HAHA!

I must also say why are Honda not running in their testing black? They always looked hot in black. I also hope to ****ing god they don't run the earth livery again next year... I really liked it at first but the novelty wore off and I now hate it!

Yeah, the all black testing livery was awesome.

Also aussief1 i agree that the FIA should ban them, though my reason for this is that they look stupid and ugly! HAHA!

Oh yeah there is that very good reason aswell.

Do you like the rear wheel fairings or hate them aswell???

Yeah, the all black testing livery was awesome.

Oh yeah there is that very good reason aswell.

Do you like the rear wheel fairings or hate them aswell???

Do u have pics of the rear wheel fairings???

And yes the honda in black looked sic....

Do u have pics of the rear wheel fairings???

Just the standard fairings / disc's Ferrari / Toyota / and the like have been running since late 06.

Just the standard fairings / disc's Ferrari / Toyota / and the like have been running since late 06.

ohh ok. Thats also shown in my sig... Just didn't register the term...

This could be problematic for Mclaren, though, especially with the "idea" hunt going through their car....

ohh ok. Thats also shown in my sig... Just didn't register the term...

This could be problematic for Mclaren, though, especially with the "idea" hunt going through their car....

No worries mate. There are a few different names for that certain aero device :D

Exactly, that's why I cannot wait to see McLaren's interpretation, of what Ferrari essentially came up with in the first place.

No worries mate. There are a few different names for that certain aero device :D

Exactly, that's why I cannot wait to see their interpretation, of what Ferrari essentially came up with in the first place.

But the sudden development from both Reno and Mclaren and NOT BMW, is also surprising...

But the sudden development from both Reno and Mclaren and NOT BMW, is also surprising...

BMW - Sauber might be still working on the best solution to the fairing aero gains on their car in the wind tunnel. I expect to see almost the entire grid with these fairings come March next year.

BMW - Sauber might be still working on the best solution to the fairing aero gains on their car in the wind tunnel. I expect to see almost the entire grid with these fairings come March next year.

I would too expect that, but if they don't and only Williams(Toyota patnership), Ferrari, Mclaren, Reno and Toyota have it, then it would be suspisous...

I would too expect that, but if they don't and only Williams(Toyota patnership), Ferrari, Mclaren, Reno and Toyota have it, then it would be suspisous...

Yes it would be a good question to Willi Rampf and his team why they would choose to go against a growing trend. I expect BMW - Sauber to have the fairings or atleast test the fairings before round one next year.

How interesting are these things or what!!!!!!!!

Clearly the off season :lol:

Clearly!

Back to the testing itself, I was browsing the pictures of the all white (hideous) Honda and noticed yesterday that they were testing rear wings as thats the only noticeable difference between Button's and Rossiters? machines! I also liked the picture on F1racing.net of Ross Brawn and Nick Fry chatting, and judging by Brawn's facial expression, he was not amused! (most probably thought who the **** that twat talking to him was haha!)

Nick the prick Fry indeed.

Sure ross will setlle down quickly and it's likel;y that he'll want a better colourscheme too.

Lots to watch out for this week but I will only be considering it good if Fisi gets the drive.

Top 20 (laatste update: 11:52)

Coureur Team Chassis Laptime Verschil Laps

1 Kimi R

I personally think that the FIA will ban them soon. We will either have a accident in the pit lane with mechanics having trouble with the extra mountings on the rattle guns, or we will see one of them go flying off after contact with another car.

I don't mind the rear wheel fairings, but i'm not a fan of the front wheel fairings. Weird I know :wacko:

I tend to think they might be a little dangerous for the mechanics. I always worry a guy's going to get his fingers sliced off if the driver leaves too early. Maybe this can't happen though?

Javier Villa (GP2) tested the BMW yesterday.4secs slower than Nick Heidfeld.

I tend to think they might be a little dangerous for the mechanics. I always worry a guy's going to get his fingers sliced off if the driver leaves too early. Maybe this can't happen though?

Hello?Don't you remember that Albers was fired? :P

What a great list for F1 2008, DOF Renault must be in heaven! The only 1 I don't wanna happen is the hybrid car development, unless the FIA want Toyota & Honda to dominate the future F1 championships!

Nick the prick Fry indeed.

Sure ross will setlle down quickly and it's likel;y that he'll want a better colourscheme too.

Lots to watch out for this week but I will only be considering it good if Fisi gets the drive.

Yeah, that earth livery has got to go.

However I'm yet to hear any announcements of a major sponsor for 2008. Maybe they are just keeping the sponsor announcement for the launch next year. If they have failed to land a good title sponsor I fear will will have yet another ugly 2008 Honda.

The attachments on the rattle guns for the fairings are rather cumbersome.

Yeah, that earth livery has got to go.

And thus it will stay...

Honda's David Butler talked about Honda's plans to continue with the Earth Car concept and suggested that the sport needs to look at ways it can be used as a tool to solve real world world problems and the need for F1 to have more social responsibilty.

http://www.totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=238026

And thus it will stay...

Going by the quote you posted anyway.

Bernie and Max should buy some massive logging endangered part of the world and preserve it for future generations and that on it's own will be more than enough to off set the environment damage the sport has.

Anyway back to talking about testing and enough of the ranting about Honda's inability to land a title sponsor and covering it up with this rubbish about saving the world. Because everyone knows in order to save the world you need to save the cheerleader!!!!!