Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

en3sge

Pick And Mix F1 - The Perfect 2007 F1 Car

Forgetting any problems associated with the politics, engineering etc, what components from what cars (of the 2007 season) would you use to make your one ideal f1 car package? The components to choose are:

Aero efficiency (how well the car moves through the air regardless of downforce generated - speed traps are a good indication of this)

Aero downforce

Engine

Gearbox

Weight distribution

Driver

I know thyere are many more components to consider, but for those w/o a mechanical engineering degree I thought it best to cut it down to these 5.

My choices are:

Aero efficiency - Williams (always near the top of the speed traps with the dog of the toyota engine in the back as well)

Aero downforce - Ferrari

Engine - Factory Renault ( not customer)

Gearbox - Mclaren

Weight Distribution - Williams (they seem to be consistent around every circuit, uinlike ferrari for example)

Driver - Hamilton

Remember, forget the fact that the renault engine may not be compatible with the mclaren chassis etc

Obviously a car is usually lesser than the sum of it's parts. Aero resistance and downforce are usually linked since more of the one causes more of the other. Aero efficiency I think combines these two factors, maybe with "downforce" you mean the car that could produce the most downforce with maxxed wings?

What matters is ultimate performance, you could for example compromise that to achieve better consistency but that usually means you are equally slow every time. Reports from '02 put the undertray balast numbers to around 100-150kg which probably means most cars can have the weigh distribution they want.

Suspension, tires and aero are usually one package since they have to work together in harmony. So combining them goes beyond the fact that they don't physically fit.

I have not seen an assessment of what the 2007 engine produce but one could base their choice upon that even if driveability and low end torque (if 14k rpm can be considered low end) probably means a lot more in certain circuits.

Also most cars did change a lot through the season.

It would still be interesting to see some opinions from others with more info as to which car performed better in the above stated areas.

Ok, so I know things are linked on a car and everything relies on everything else. maybe I should simplify it somewhat. I guess the main components of any f1 car are chassis, tryes, transmission (exc engine), engine, driver so Im just gonna say pick from these. Although actually as tyres are the same on each car you cant really have this on the list.

Chassis - Mclaren

Transmission - Mclaren

Engine - renault (didnt do alonso any harm last yr did it ;) )

Driver - lewis

where the hells DOF, c21 and others? We need a hand! :D

Im gonna sound boring on this one but.....

The Mclaren package is all I would have wanted. Forget the spy bulls##t, I'm just talking about car and drivers.

Almost always on the pace at every event, need you want more?