Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mock

Nico Hulkenberg Signs With Williams

Nico Hulkenberg is F1 test driver for Williams

Racing series A1GP F1

Date 2007-12-17

Germany's talented single-seater "star of tomorrow" Nico Hulkenberg, who won the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport in the 2006/2007 season with Willi Weber's A1 Team Germany, has signed a contract as official test driver with the AT&T Williams Formula 1 team. The young talent from Emmerich will undertake testing duties for the traditional team in 2008.

Hulkenberg secured his position in the British team alongside regular race drivers Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima after reeling off an impressive 425 kilometres during a two-day test at Jerez at the start of December.

"During the two-day test at Jerez I realised a dream which I've had since my first kart race in 1997," says the 20-year old. "Even my greatest expectations were exceeded as I made my first exploratory laps with the Williams FW29 around the circuit. Christmas came early for me after I was able to demonstrate my abilities and secure the seat as official test driver at the tests."

Willi Weber explained: "It's fantastic that with Nico yet another A1 Team Germany driver has stepped up to Formula 1. With his record of nine wins Nico stamped his authority impressively on the championship when he drove for us. I'm convinced that he will also demonstrate his abilities within his new role and have the opportunity to prove himself in other disciplines. A1 Team Germany has established itself as an excellent platform for young, talented drivers during its first three years."

With the signing of Hulkenberg in 2006, A1 Team Germany showed once again that it is an important stepping stone in the career of a young driver. The drivers contesting the inaugural season in 2005/2006 made noteworthy progress: Timo Scheider subsequently established himself as Audi factory driver in the DTM and took the c#ckpit of a new generation car in the core of the factory squad, while Adrian Sutil became Japanese Formula 3 Champion before securing a Formula 1 seat at Spyker. More recently Christian Vietoris, A1 Team Germany nominated driver from the 2007/2008 season, got his first taste of Formula 1 at Valencia during a test with the BMW Sauber F1 Team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NK seriously needs to relook at being in F1, or look at another team, seems he is wasting his time being a tester for a second rung team where he is not even given any tests

He'dstill be racing in F3 I think.

Good luck to him he was given a chance and he took it.

Wouldn't you?

He'dstill be racing in F3 I think.

Good luck to him he was given a chance and he took it.

Wouldn't you?

I wouldn't...I would ruin Williams team! :lol:

Good for him. I cant wait for him to race. something he probably will do within the nest two years. I have been following him in A1 and F3 and he has impressed me. Though I never saw much of him due to limited play of A1 here and none of F3, from what I have seen he is good.

The Hulk is indeed rather good from what I've seen, he walked over the field in A1 and in F3 Euroseries became a strong force towards the end I think, hope he gets a drive in 09'.

I'm glad Nico Hulkenberg was given the test driver role at Williams. He was awesome in A1 for Team Germany and seems to have the runs on the board in all other series he has tried his hand at aswell.

I was hoping that he might have been able to land the race drive at Toyota through Willi Weber contacts at Toyota from when he negotiagated Ralf's contract (Maybe that's why he didn't get the drive!!!).

I would take the bet that Nico maybe given a race or two before the season is over, replacing the erratic Nakajima. Anyone else agree with me???

Wait and see Aussie.

It would be wierd in a way if Williams and STR have teammates with the same First name though.

Nakajima only did one Mistake in Brazil and prooved to be a crafty racer so far IMO but I can't judje a racer on one performance.

I wouldn't...I would ruin Williams team! :lol:

:D Well I would too after the cars that Williams made Mark Webber drive! :D

I'm glad Nico Hulkenberg was given the test driver role at Williams. He was awesome in A1 for Team Germany and seems to have the runs on the board in all other series he has tried his hand at aswell.

I was hoping that he might have been able to land the race drive at Toyota through Willi Weber contacts at Toyota from when he negotiagated Ralf's contract (Maybe that's why he didn't get the drive!!!).

I would take the bet that Nico maybe given a race or two before the season is over, replacing the erratic Nakajima. Anyone else agree with me???

Probuably

Wait and see Aussie.

It would be wierd in a way if Williams and STR have teammates with the same First name though.

Nakajima only did one Mistake in Brazil and prooved to be a crafty racer so far IMO but I can't judje a racer on one performance.

Very true, but in all honesty Nakajima is only in a race drive to please Toyota. I hope Williams have something in the contract where if he turns out to be a complete dud (ala Yamamoto) they can flick him back to test driver and promote Nico Hulkenberg to the race drive.

Frank and Patrick will not stand for their team to be used by Toyota to try young hopeless drivers. Nakajima will get a chance, if he fails then out with him. Nakajima has good raw pace but has a hell of alot to learn like Nico but I would rate Nico over the young Japanese at the end of the day.

Does it matter? Test drivers log like 3 miles a year, anyway. Hell, Gary Paffett of McLaren did 0 laps last year in the F2007, err MP4-22.

But good for Nico anyway. Kaz needs to change his name to Nico now and we're all set.