Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric

Lewis Gets Owned By Police

Anyway, I think statistically the most accidents are within 3 miles of your home at a roundabout, or something absurd like that. The problem is, I think most drivers must know this and think bollocks to it I am more than 3 miles from my house and not by a roundabout so I can drive however the hell I like.

Indeed. I think it's also true that 20% of accidents are caused by drink drivers. That's why i drink and drive because 80% of accidents are caused by sober people.

Meh, a racing driver speeding. Only 120?

wonder whats the fuss all about. Back when Steve started a thread on speeding everyone bashed the Police or authorities for having speed limits, now some guys are bashing Lewis for getting caught. Wonder how this thread would have turned if he didnt get caught! Phiew!

I hope a car going 120 mph hits you all on the way back from work today. Then we'll see how cool it is.

Yes, it may be an overreaction, he may have been alone on the road, but it is against the law and he is in the public eye. It is his life, yes, but it influences others, because they have no idea of the situation and might assume he was in traffic.

What Lewis did was just plain stupid. End of story.

wonder whats the fuss all about. Back when Steve started a thread on speeding everyone bashed the Police or authorities for having speed limits, now some guys are bashing Lewis for getting caught. Wonder how this thread would have turned if he didnt get caught! Phiew!

One must remember my argument isn't just about speeding being ridiculous, it is also about Lewis getting special treatment. No, I don't know French laws, but I can't imagine 30 days for 120. If you got caught doing that here you'd never get your liscense back.

Then again, if Lewis did that here, he'd never get his back, either, as no one would recognize him :P

I hope a car going 120 mph hits you all on the way back from work today. Then we'll see how cool it is.

Yes, it may be an overreaction, he may have been alone on the road, but it is against the law and he is in the public eye. It is his life, yes, but it influences others, because they have no idea of the situation and might assume he was in traffic.

What Lewis did was just plain stupid. End of story.

So, I presume by this you have never even gone 1mph above the speed limit, never run a red light, etc, etc ?

So, I presume by this you have never even gone 1mph above the speed limit, never run a red light, etc, etc ?

I specifically stated "Anyone who goes more than 10 over the speed limit is a ****ing idiot." in the original post, honey. As in 120 is more than over 10. The max I'll drive on the highway is 75 mph, as that is 10 over.

I've never run a red light blatantly. I have gone through a yellow light before that changed to red while I was still moving before.

We've all made mistakes on the road and all done dumb stuff, but doing 120 while in the public eye is just beyond dumb.

I specifically stated "Anyone who goes more than 10 over the speed limit is a ****ing idiot." in the original post, honey. As in 120 is more than over 10. The max I'll drive on the highway is 75 mph, as that is 10 over.

I've never run a red light blatantly. I have gone through a yellow light before that changed to red while I was still moving before.

We've all made mistakes on the road and all done dumb stuff, but doing 120 while in the public eye is just beyond dumb.

Ahh so why 10mph then? Just because it seems like a nice round number, baby ?? :lol: Or because it's what you think you can get away with?? Or is it relational? I mean, doing 40mph in a 30mph zone is probably going to be way more stupid than doing 75mph in a 65mph zone.

The speed limit on that highway in France is 85mph, so you would be prepared to 95mph. The difference between being stupid at 95mph and being stupid at 120mph is going to be negligible, so don't worry about it. However, it is stupid to do it when you are in the public eye, but it never seems to stop 'famous' people and F1 drivers are not the only ones who do it.

You had better stop watching Formula one then.

It's not dumb. Being convinced that you're a good driver because you have a self imposed speed limit is dumb. The limits themselves are dumb. Check out Germany and its accident statistics. They drive unlimited on autobahns. Their drivers are educated.

Ahh so why 10mph then? Just because it seems like a nice round number, baby ?? :lol: Or because it's what you think you can get away with?? Or is it relational? I mean, doing 40mph in a 30mph zone is probably going to be way more stupid than doing 75mph in a 65mph zone.

The speed limit on that highway in France is 85mph, so you would be prepared to 95mph. The difference between being stupid at 95mph and being stupid at 120mph is going to be negligible, so don't worry about it. However, it is stupid to do it when you are in the public eye, but it never seems to stop 'famous' people and F1 drivers are not the only ones who do it.

10 mph is lawful, 75 is reasonable, and if I went 65 on the highway I'd get run over cuz most people do more than 75. I don't speed in residential (30 mph) zones because there's blind corners, kids, dogs, etc.

I'd go what I deemed reasonable on that highway, depending on what was lawful and what the other drivers were doing. If the other drivers go 95, I'd be forced to. If they go 85, I would too. If they go 45, I would do that, too, I guess. And there is a difference between 120 and 95, a big one. Getting hit by a vehicle going 95 and getting hit by one going 120 will result in two different impacts, same as getting hit at 30 and getting at 55 are different.

And yeah, famous people will never stop. They're famous. They assume they can get away with these things, and unfortunately, many times they get away with worse.

You had better stop watching Formula one then.

It's not dumb. Being convinced that you're a good driver because you have a self imposed speed limit is dumb. The limits themselves are dumb. Check out Germany and its accident statistics. They drive unlimited on autobahns. Their drivers are educated.

I am a responsible driver because I drive at a pace that is reasonable. Going at a speed that I feel comfortable going out and a speed that isn't too much slower or too much faster than anyone else on the road. I know what my car does and what the cars around me do and I've never been in a car accident in 8 years of driving. I drive responsibly.

And sure it works in Germany, but it wouldn't work everywhere. The drivers here aren't educated enough. They're doubling the driver's ed course hours and the behind-the-wheel hours and the observational hours in the USA, without changing any driving laws. The drivers aren't safe enough to even handle our normal speeds here, so in the USA, the speed limits can't be taken away. There are complete idiot drivers around, and many of them can't even drive well at normal speeds.

And why stop watching racing? On a racetrack, it is fine to go fast. All the drivers are prepared to go fast and to rely on the other drivers. I race a variety of cars on closed courses. It is safe; there is proper safety stuff for the event of an accident and the drivers are skilled.

10 mph is lawful, 75 is reasonable, and if I went 65 on the highway I'd get run over cuz most people do more than 75. I don't speed in residential (30 mph) zones because there's blind corners, kids, dogs, etc.

I'd go what I deemed reasonable on that highway, depending on what was lawful and what the other drivers were doing. If the other drivers go 95, I'd be forced to. If they go 85, I would too. If they go 45, I would do that, too, I guess. And there is a difference between 120 and 95, a big one. Getting hit by a vehicle going 95 and getting hit by one going 120 will result in two different impacts, same as getting hit at 30 and getting at 55 are different.

And yeah, famous people will never stop. They're famous. They assume they can get away with these things, and unfortunately, many times they get away with worse.

10mph over isn't lawful, it's still breaking the law, it's only what you deem to be ok in your own mind. Not that I am saying going 10mph over is wrong, just that most people have their own idea of what is acceptable.

It won't make much bit of difference at that speed, you'd be one of the most fortunate people around if you survive a collision at 95mph, anyway. Don't forget you are talking about the law of diminishing returns as well. For example, as a pedestrian there is a hell of a difference in survival rate between being hit by a car doing 30 mph and being hit by a car doing 35-40mph. There is much less of a difference in survival rate when hit by a car doing 40mph and one doing 55mph, you're pretty much looking at a fatality most of the time.

If you think famous people get away with stuff like that, you want to see what the polic get away with over here :lol:

10mph over isn't lawful, it's still breaking the law, it's only what you deem to be ok in your own mind. Not that I am saying going 10mph over is wrong, just that most people have their own idea of what is acceptable.

It won't make much bit of difference at that speed, you'd be one of the most fortunate people around if you survive a collision at 95mph, anyway. Don't forget you are talking about the law of diminishing returns as well. For example, as a pedestrian there is a hell of a difference in survival rate between being hit by a car doing 30 mph and being hit by a car doing 35-40mph. There is much less of a difference in survival rate when hit by a car doing 40mph and one doing 55mph, you're pretty much looking at a fatality most of the time.

If you think famous people get away with stuff like that, you want to see what the polic get away with over here :lol:

It isn't lawful, but you won't get a ticket for 10 over in the US.

Perhaps. You do have a point. My dad was in a car accident when I was young. He was accelerating out of an intersection so he wasn't going too fast and got hit by someone going around 55 and got hit in the front. It was in the early 90s before cars were super-safe. My dad had no injuries. I don't know what this story means, but it means something that you can be hardly moving and get hit at 55 mph and be fine...

I also think safety has a major con: when you feel there's no way in hell you'll die, you take advantage of it and do dumb things...my worst racing accident was head-on to a concrete wall. I decelerated to about 85 at the time of impact. I was totally fine. Which says if we had racing seats, racing belts, helmets, HANS devices, etc in street cars, people would drive their cars to the max. And would it be fine? Not really. People still die in racing accidents, and if you crashed a road car that fast, that's the end of your car.

The difference between being stupid at 95mph and being stupid at 120mph is going to be negligible, so don't worry about it.

I don't know the facts, but I'd guess the risk of causing a fatality grows exponentially with speed.

I don't know the facts, but I'd guess the risk of causing a fatality grows exponentially with speed.

I only know the rough details for pedestrian accidents, which increase dramatically up to a sort of threshold point beyond which fatalities are the usual outcome. I presume it will be the same for other accidents, though I don't know for certain, but I imagine there will always be a threshold point beyond which the survival rate is very low.

It isn't lawful, but you won't get a ticket for 10 over in the US.

Perhaps. You do have a point. My dad was in a car accident when I was young. He was accelerating out of an intersection so he wasn't going too fast and got hit by someone going around 55 and got hit in the front. It was in the early 90s before cars were super-safe. My dad had no injuries. I don't know what this story means, but it means something that you can be hardly moving and get hit at 55 mph and be fine...

I also think safety has a major con: when you feel there's no way in hell you'll die, you take advantage of it and do dumb things...my worst racing accident was head-on to a concrete wall. I decelerated to about 85 at the time of impact. I was totally fine. Which says if we had racing seats, racing belts, helmets, HANS devices, etc in street cars, people would drive their cars to the max. And would it be fine? Not really. People still die in racing accidents, and if you crashed a road car that fast, that's the end of your car.

Indeed. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

I often wonder if that is the case these days. Do people think that because the car has increased safety they feel bullet proof or take more risks? It certainly feels that way at times.

This article is real, sorry kiddo. SPEEDTV is a credible source, and they clearly mark all "rumors." No idea why it hasn't been spread around other websites, but I am confident in SPEEDTV, as much as I hate them.

Are you saying that Hamilton has lied about the cars he drivers? Oh my, you better have "absolute proof", and I mean a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e, or the jihadist will be all over you. Note, also, that if Hamilton was driving around 150km/h of the speed limit, the jihadist will consider that "normal" (for Hamilton, of course) and your "absolutely unproven" claim will be assaulted.

If all fails, the jihadist will then demand your passport to determine, on the basis of your nationality, your (lack of) credibility. They will stop at nothing to save their "god" from "absolutely unproven" blasphemy.

Are you saying that Hamilton has lied about the cars he drivers? Oh my, you better have "absolute proof", and I mean a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e, or the jihadist will be all over you. Note, also, that if Hamilton was driving around 150km/h of the speed limit, the jihadist will consider that "normal" (for Hamilton, of course) and your "absolutely unproven" claim will be assaulted.

If all fails, the jihadist will then demand your passport to determine, on the basis of your nationality, your (lack of) credibility. They will stop at nothing to save their "god" from "absolutely unproven" blasphemy.

Yawn

I don't know how it works in your neck of the woods but yes you do get tickets for doing ten over the speed limit in the U.S.

Each car accident is different so you can't always judge by speed. When my dad was young he was rearended at a stop light by a drunk doing about 80. Hes fine. A couple of years ago i was in a wreck with a friend of mine in which we took a corner too fast, 40 mph corner doing 95, nosed off halfway through the corner, ramped a good 90 feet off the ditch and then rolled 5 times ending up on the roof. I was the only one wearing a seatbelt and I got the worst injury. A gash on my eyebrow from the dash that didn't even need stitches. It did however leave an awesome scar. Then there are other people who have wrecks doin 40 and end up dead.

Speed does have a lot to do with it but there is a bit of luck involved.

Plus, its not like he was doin 120 in a Geo Metro. The car he was in is built for those speeds. I have no doubt that you would feel more comfortable in a Merc doin 150 than in a Metro doin 90.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary.... that's what gets you."

:)

I am a responsible driver because I drive at a pace that is reasonable. Going at a speed that I feel comfortable going out and a speed that isn't too much slower or too much faster than anyone else on the road. I know what my car does and what the cars around me do and I've never been in a car accident in 8 years of driving. I drive responsibly.

Hang on a minute.... Eric, you're young - you are supposed to be sticking two fingers up at the establishment and driving everywhere at 100mph. :)

I'm the middle-aged boring old fart, I'm supposed to be the one doing 25 in a 40 zone (wearing a hat, as its always hat-wearers who drive slowest) :)

I'm starting to think Invasion of the Body Snatchers is becoming real... (or is it the Stepford Husbands??? :) )

....and you go on about other people being obsessed with Alonso???

Actually I think you are in denial and are really a huge Hamilton fan - you wouldn't go on about him so much otherwise, would you??? :lol:

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary.... that's what gets you."

:)

:lol:

I used to work in insurance and sometimes the claims dept would sound round snippets of what people had written on claim forms that had made them laugh, or they would get them from other companies. Somebody wrote 'the car was more stationary than I thought' :eusa_think::D

....and you go on about other people being obsessed with Alonso???

Actually I think you are in denial and are really a huge Hamilton fan - you wouldn't go on about him so much otherwise, would you??? :lol:

It is a mystery whom he refers as Jihadist! :P Personally I think he is the one who is on Jihad against Ron Dennis! ;)

It is a mystery whom he refers as Jihadist! :P Personally I think he is the one who is on Jihad against Ron Dennis! ;)

and lewis ofcourse! ^_^