Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jez

08 Quali Tweaks

Domenicali reveals 2008 qualifying tweaks

Dec.20 (GMM) More detail about the tweaks to F1's knockout qualifying format for 2008 have emerged.

It was revealed in September that the F1 'Sporting Working Group' had agreed to rid the sport of the controversial fuel-burning phenomenon, chiefly by reducing the time for the 'Q3' format from 15 minutes.

La Gazzetta dello Sport now quotes Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali as revealing more about the new format, which is believed to have been recently ratified by the World Motor Sport Council.

He said Q1 will now last for "20 minutes instead of 15", while Q2 remains at 15 minutes.

"Q3 becomes 10 minutes, instead of 15," Domenicali added, explaining that competitors will no longer be allowed to add fuel to their cars before the grand prix.

Sourced from F1way.com

Works for me. I like the idea of an intense 10 minute Q3. Thoughts?

"Q3 becomes 10 minutes, instead of 15," Domenicali added, explaining that competitors will no longer be allowed to add fuel to their cars before the grand prix.

Sourced from F1way.com

I thought fuel loads were locked off at the start of Q3 anyway?

I thought fuel loads were locked off at the start of Q3 anyway?

Yup. I always liked the 05 style single lap shoot out quali format, so anything to shorten Q3 sounds good to me :)

Yup. I always liked the 05 style single lap shoot out quali format, so anything to shorten Q3 sounds good to me :)

No, you misunderstand me. The quote says that they will no longer be able to fuel the car before the race. Isn't this the case already?

No, you misunderstand me. The quote says that they will no longer be able to fuel the car before the race. Isn't this the case already?

You're right, that is confusing :eusa_think:

Hang on, I think in 07 the cars had to start the race with the same amount of fuel they started Q3 with. This time they wont be able to top up after Q3 if I understand it right..

nope. they refuel cars before the race

I hate how the fuel has to be a comprimise for the race and it does affect qualifying.

I don't actually mind qualyifying now the way that it is.

I would like to see the Knock out session in Q1 and Q2 then have the final 10 competitors battle it out for Pole with the smallest margin of Fuel they can squeese out of the car it would be spectacular to watch with the order decided on the Q2 results .

there would be no chance for anyone to miss the Golden lap and also they would be on It hard core and the Pressure would be at the max with the cars working at their absolute best.

That would be Mind boggling to see.

Hang on, I think in 07 the cars had to start the race with the same amount of fuel they started Q3 with.

not really, no.

At least not precisely.

They *can* add the fuel beore the race, but the amount of fuel they can add is declared by Race Director for every car separately. This depends on number of laps run in in q3 and the amount of fuel taken by fia as a sample during inspection. So this does not nesseserly mean that they start the race with the same amount they start q3.

this difference was the main point of the "extra lap controversy", which actually was peak of tensions between alonso and hamilton that lead to refueling "spy saga" and since was major decider in 2007 World Championship.

I understand that this year's procedure could be confusing and 'no refueling' after q3 would be much clearer

I'm a fan of the one-lap qualifying. It gives you only one shot to perform, and will lead to more less-than-perfect laps. And the more less-than-perfect laps, the weirder the starting grid is. The weirder the starting grid is, the more the potential for overtaking increases. Furthermore, a car good in qualifying trim would have a different setup in race trim, which would make it more interesting overtaking-wise.

Examples of how it could be awesome:

Lewis makes a little error in the chicane. He has the fastest car but is starting fourth. Now he has to fight for the win.

Fernando wins pole with a superb setup for one fast lap. However, when they make the setup changes for the race, they don't have the perfect race setup for a long run, and now there is a chance for overtaking.

No impounds and 1-lap. It works. It may be boring to watch, but since when was qualifying the show?

Im all for the current format without the stupid fuel burn - I do like the fuel qualifying strategy though, it means the fastest cars aren't always at the front, creating at least some suspense during the race.

Otherwise we would just see the Ferrari/McLaren cars racing off in to the distance after the start, depending which track they were at.

Also adds more suspense to the start, heavy fuel loads will see slow cars, so more chance of a good spin at the first corner...

nope. they refuel cars before the race

no, the 08 regs say that you can not refuel after Q3, that means you have to take into account how much you want to burn when filling the car beforehand. The only thing this will do though is make pole even more rewarding so it will be even less of a race after Q3.

I don't even see why then shortened quali, We barely get to see the drivers drive anyway and now we see them less.

Nothing beats the old qualy format all against all, no stupid qualy sessions. Those were truly intense.

The current system is good for action, but because the drivers get more than 1 chance at a fast lap, it normally makes the grid entirely predictable. If they are to make any change to Q3, I believe that they should get the teams to seal their starting fuel loads in an envelope, hand it to the FIA, and basically go out on low fuel and attack pole, then top up after Q3 before the cars go into parc ferme. On another note, I feel Bridgestone needs to improve the durability of the soft and super soft tyres

which part of my post made you think I was refering to 2008 regulations?

the fact that this thread is about the 08 regulations

so, what you want to say is, that you responded to my message without reading it?

Apparently the fact is actually that this thread is about the new Qualifying format in 2008, I don\'t see anything about regs :P

Not to restart an old thread, but why not just let the teams determine fuel strategy, and let them run with it? And, say, allow a certaing amount per team for both quali and gp, and let them work out the strategy? Or just let them have whatever fuel they want? It seems like an overengineering of a non-problem.

Not to restart an old thread, but why not just let the teams determine fuel strategy, and let them run with it? And, say, allow a certaing amount per team for both quali and gp, and let them work out the strategy? Or just let them have whatever fuel they want? It seems like an overengineering of a non-problem.

I guess it's an attempt of sorts to lessen the predictability of the qualifying outcome.