Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric

Blast From The Past

I've decided to post some NASCAR videos here, please watch them, I think a few of you will enjoy them (some of you already have seen a few over Windows Live).

Two of the best, if not the best, drivers to never win a championship battle for the win.

In the 1992 edition of the all-star race, Earnhardt, Kyle Petty, and Davey Allison race for the win. Earnhardt races Kyle hard in this non-points dash for cash, and pays the price, leading to a thrilling finish that sent Davey Allison to the hospital.

One of the closest finishes in NASCAR history, 0.005 seconds. Yes, that is David Hobbs at the beginning of the clip. A tribute to Davey Allison, who died in a helicopter crash right outside the track two weeks before, follows the race.

Watch Jarett's save off turn two on the last lap. Great finish.

Earnhardt's Last Win - Final 5 at 'Dega

Earnhardt was the man in the draft. Awesome.

Atlanta 2001

Great racing leading to a great finish. 3 weeks after number 3 himself died, his "replacement," Harvick takes his first career win.

Best Damn Finish Ever

Craven and Busch. Have you ever?

Park and Labonte, Rockingham 2001

One week after his team owner dies, Park takes victory for DEI.

I can think of a few others, but that's enough for now. I'll post the Earnhardt/Labonte Bristol battles of 95 and 99 in the near future. Enjoy!

[quote name='DOF_Renault_BMW' post='234276' date='Dec 22 2007, 05:34 PM']None of that twisted sister stuff for me.
Prefer vintage [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvimQNslKI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvimQNslKI[/url][/quote]
I like vintage footage, too. Shame I wasn't alive to see it live, but I like it. I was just posting a few things that stood out to me from my own memory, so thanks for adding that.

There was a great show in the US, Dale Jr's Back in the Day. They re-aired races from the 60s and 70s in a show hosted by Junior. It was on while I was at work and cuz it was on SPEEDTV I couldn't tape it as I didn't have DVR at the time, so I rarely got to see it. I don't know if it's on the air, but it was a great show to have.

I love reading about the history of NASCAR, and last X-Mas I got a 4-DVD set of NASCAR from the 40s-70s. It was wonderful viewing material.

>

^ I only love NASCAR from before the arrival of the non-stock "twisted sister" in the 80s.

What's that DVD set called ?!

Cause maybe I'll find some torrents.

>

^ I only love NASCAR from before the arrival of the non-stock "twisted sister" in the 80s.

What's that DVD set called ?!

Cause maybe I'll find some torrents.

I love it to 2003, the pre-Brian era. I agree with the decision to not stay purely stock because a real street car has way more technology and computer s##t than a racing stock car, and stock car racing should never be about fancy pants tech.

I forget what it's called, I go look for it later. It was called American something.

In the meantime, you might like this: NASCAR Baby DVD

:P

Actually, in all seriousness, you might like this: Dale Jr Back in the Day DVD

It's a little cheesy with the added sound effects and pop-ups (it reminds me of VH1's pop up videos), but the majority of it is just showing the actual races of the 60s and 70s, which is an awesome thing to see.

I love it to 2003, the pre-Brian era. I agree with the decision to not stay purely stock because a real street car has way more technology and computer s##t than a racing stock car, and stock car racing should never be about fancy pants tech.

Nothing to do with that. It was a simple case of Jr. need to sell NASCAR thru its drivers (just like Ecclestone in F1) coupled with the teams need for downforce. The COT is actually more of a old school stoc car than the "twisted sister" it's replacing. And that's why many hate it, as it has too much drag and too little downforce, unless you pour a lot of money and test a lot to cleverly overcome this like HMS did.

This is the same thing that happened in F1.

There's an aero and/or custom non-stock parts war in NASCAR since the 1960s (Torino Talladega, Daytona/Superbird) or even 1950s.

Fact is the - "and sell to the general public 500 units of either the car model or factory produced speed options" - was one of the early attempts by NASCAR to get control over the fact that vehicles being raced had already notably strayed from anything resembling their "stockness".

And that's why there are templates and COTs, cause someone like Junior Johnson, Hoss Ellington, Ray Nichols and Smokey Yunick could come up with all sorts of things to bend/break the rules. Witch is the same thing Chapman did in F1, or Piech/McLaren/Hall in sportscar/endurance racing.

Actually, in all seriousness, you might like this: Dale Jr Back in the Day DVD

It's a little cheesy with the added sound effects and pop-ups (it reminds me of VH1's pop up videos), but the majority of it is just showing the actual races of the 60s and 70s, which is an awesome thing to see.

Thanks.

There's an aero and/or custom non-stock parts war in NASCAR since the 1960s (Torino Talladega, Daytona/Superbird) or even 1950s.

Fact is the - "and sell to the general public 500 units of either the car model or factory produced speed options" - was one of the early attempts by NASCAR to get control over the fact that vehicles being raced had already notably strayed from anything resembling their "stockness".

And that's why there are templates and COTs, cause someone like Junior Johnson, Hoss Ellington, Ray Nichols and Smokey Yunick could come up with all sorts of things to bend/break the rules. Witch is the same thing Chapman did in F1, or Piech/McLaren/Hall in sportscar/endurance racing.

Don't get me wrong, I know about those guys and what they did and the history of the sport, and I'm sure it was a great era in stock car racing, but I mean that I'm one of "those fans" that you probably despise because I didn't really care since the racign was good in the 90s and early 2000s. I had a higher level for tolerance, I guess, and I'm too young to know the real era.

I hate the COT because it is ugly, because it is standard issue, and the racing sucks. I think that the cars shouldn't be standard issue. It shouldn't be about innovation like in F1, but there should be some fun with the cars. The common templates make it easier for dominance because it eliminates all the possibile advantages a small team can use to keep up with a big team, while it caters to bigger teams who can spend more money on R+D.

Back to DVDs, American Stock: The Golden Era of NASCAR 1936-1971

That's the DVD set I was talking about. Enjoy.

I may have missed it Eric but what does COT mean because i come from Bro'town as we all know and I havent seen a Full Distance Nascar Race in my life and i don't have the faintest Idea about nascar.

I do have another question actually.

What is so appealing about Nascar that wants drivers like Scott Speed, JPM, Jacques Villeneuve, A.J Allmendinger, Dario Francitti, race in it and other drivers like David Coulthard to also say that when he Retires from F1 he may join nascar as well.

Yeah what is so intreging about it I would like to know?

I may have missed it Eric but what does COT mean because i come from Bro'town as we all know and I havent seen a Full Distance Nascar Race in my life and i don't have the faintest Idea about nascar.

I cant believe i know this but COT stands for Car Of Tomorrow. Though looking at it it really should be called something else as my 1983 Mazda 323 has more advanced technology than the modern Nascars.

I do have another question actually.

What is so appealing about Nascar that wants drivers like Scott Speed, JPM, Jacques Villeneuve, A.J Allmendinger, Dario Francitti, race in it and other drivers like David Coulthard to also say that when he Retires from F1 he may join nascar as well.

Yeah what is so intreging about it I would like to know?

COT is Car of Tomorrow. However, it is now the Car of Today as all 2008 races will be run with it. I call it the rolling capybara, however, cuz it has a snout from hell.

Car of Yesterday:

29_KHarvick.jpg

Car of Tomorrow:

29shell-cot.phoenix.jpg

As for what makes it so intriguing: money. Scott Speed was too young to just retire, and since he knew he had no chance in F1 ever again, he went back to the USA. Champ Car drivers on average make $0 a year from their team, IndyCar drivers make very little ($2mil if your great, $0 if you suck). So, Scott went to megabucks NASCAR where star Jeff Gordon makes more money in a year than any F1 driver, according to SPEEDTV. Dario did all he had to do in open wheel, and decided to retire to NASCAR for money and exposure as American open wheel only gave him $2mil per year and no exposure. JV says it's the only series on level with F1, which basically just means he can get the same income. Essentially, NASCAR has expanded and is growing in foreign popularity, sponsorship, and salaries: and that is why I hate modern NASCAR (well, there's other reasons for that, too...)

I cant believe i know this but COT stands for Car Of Tomorrow. Though looking at it it really should be called something else as my 1983 Mazda 323 has more advanced technology than the modern Nascars.

Which is the way it should be. I like working on my stock car cuz it just feels right...you just use your basic tools and some elbow grease and you do manual labor to git-r-dun. It feels stock car-ish. Can't say the same for NASCAR, who have gone crazy with wind tunnels and 7-post-shaker rigs THAT DO NOT BELONG IN STOCK CAR RACING.

Granted, NASCAR no longer stands for National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. Now it stands for National Association for Spec Car Auto Riding-Around-In-Circles-With-No-Action.