Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kati

Niki, Niki...

Niki Lauda has tipped Nelson Piquet Jr to emerge as F1's best rookie of 2008.

The former triple world champion, who still attends Grand Prix as a commentator for German television, studied the prospects of the Brazilian youngster, as well as the three other rookies on next year's starting grid, in the Swiss newspaper Blick.

"The most certain performer is the little Piquet at Renault," Lauda, currently holidaying in Bali but recently in Dubai for the launch of the 'Niki Lauda Tower' (1), said.

"He knows the team and the tracks," the Austrian veteran, 58, added.

Of the other three rookies, Lauda said: "Glock is going to have to deal with a difficult car at Toyota.

"Bourdais needs to forget all his accomplishments and titles in Champ Car - with Formula One you are playing at a higher level. (2)

"And Nakajima showed in his debut in Brazil that he is fast, but he does not belong in any race if he runs over his mechanics in the pits," (3) Lauda concluded.

(1) ????????? hahahaha

(2) someone doesn't seem to like the poor french. well, most people don't like the poor frenchs anyways...

(3) what? the guy was nervous! lots of drivers already did that, even not on their debut races. Even schumi! (but ok, schumi did it over Stephney, because he's such a ferrarist that he knew what would happen this season, and tried to save the team.)

I really don't get all this Nels hype. I'm trying to convince myself people just wanna see another rookie beating Nando.

Will be fun to see how Nelsinho shapes up next year. He must be looking forward to it after what Lewis managed against Nando.

If renault have put a #1 driver clause in Alonsos contract, then he will not be allowed to achieve what Lewis achieved. Now that Alonso has came to terms with the bridgestone tyres however, I dont expect him (or raikkonen) to have as hard a time in 2008 as they did in 2007

I really don\'t get all this Nels hype. I\'m trying to convince myself people just wanna see another rookie beating Nando.

Most likely. The Alonso hating croud tend to be a pretty sad bunch

I really don't get all this Nels hype. I'm trying to convince myself people just wanna see another rookie beating Nando.

NL made a fool of himself this past season with his constant barking at Alonso and, like those that did and still do so around here, he is trying to pretend it all away by... making the same mistake.

Nonetheless, I myself would prefer that NP beats Alonso than the other way around just like last season I wanted Hamilton to do the same. It is a fcking shame that RD and FIA spoiled that fight and it is impossible to know now what is what. We may just get lucky this year.

A similar wish goes for McLaren. Might there be a fair fight and Kova run past Hamilton. Unfortunately, once one considers McLaren's record, a fair fight is... quite quite quite unlikely.

Nope, Nelson Piquet the second will not be able to match eyebrows, of that I'm confident. The only reason Renault hired Piquet for next season is because they know he isn't as good as Kova, and therefore would be less likely to trouble Fernando.

Hamilton will have more trouble from Heikki than Alonso will have from Piquet.

Or all that might be wrong, but who cares it's Kimi's anyway.

Most likely. The Alonso hating croud tend to be a pretty sad bunch

thats right.i dont no what a lot of people have against him.hes proven a very good driver and has won 2 world tiltes!whilst what hamilton did at the last2 races :rolleyes: hes still not the best,andwont be so as long as kimi and nando r on track!

yeah. im not a nando fan, but i learned to support him a bit more during this year... he's a nice guy hehe :)

thats right.i dont no what a lot of people have against him.hes proven a very good driver and has won 2 world tiltes!whilst what hamilton did at the last2 races hes still not the best,andwont be so as long as kimi and nando r on track!

Its simple really. Raikkonen fans dislike him because he was winning titles whilst kimi was struggling (although thats been put right now) and Ferrari/Schumacher fans hate him because he took the title from german boy in his last season :P

Your right the media want to see NP Jr beat Fernando. Ain't going to happen not with the contract Renault would have had to write up to get Fernando back. He sure isn't going to let a rookie do what Lewis did to him again.

Will be fun to see how Nelsinho shapes up next year. He must be looking forward to it after what Lewis managed against Nando.

NP Jr sure isn't short on confidence. However when / if the word comes from the Renault pit wall telling him to do Fernando a favour then that confidence maybe shattered.

If renault have put a #1 driver clause in Alonsos contract, then he will not be allowed to achieve what Lewis achieved. Now that Alonso has came to terms with the bridgestone tyres however, I dont expect him (or raikkonen) to have as hard a time in 2008 as they did in 2007

Fernando would have a clause that I'm almost certain. And yes Fernando will be fast in 2008, question remains how fast will the R28 be (after Fernando brings that five - six tenths of a second he raves on about that is :P )???

Its simple really. Raikkonen fans dislike him because he was winning titles whilst kimi was struggling (although thats been put right now) and Ferrari/Schumacher fans hate him because he took the title from german boy in his last season :P

Makes sense :D

Nope, Nelson Piquet the second will not be able to match eyebrows, of that I'm confident.

NP was fairly underwhelming in his A1GP racing career. I had heard great things and he drove well a few times but on a number of occasions he just did not seem to have "it".

Another ex World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi has thrown his two cents in on the Nelsinho vs. Fernando battle in 2008.

Fittipaldi: Piquet will trouble Alonso.

Emerson Fittipaldi has warned Fernando Alonsothat he shouldn't expect an easy ride as he returns to Renault for the 2008 Formula 1season.

Alonso returns to the regie after a single season with McLaren, which turned out to be more tumultuous than either party had anticipated. As well as his role in the F1spying saga, Alonso also fell out with both the team and his team-mate Lewis Hamilton, with the decision then taken to end his time with the team just one year into a three year deal.

However, having elected to return to the

no gives a damn to what fittipaldi says here hehe i think u all shouldn't as well...

no gives a damn to what fittipaldi says here hehe i think u all shouldn't as well...

Passion I love it!!!!

Not a fan of Brazilian ex World Champions are you?? So you strongly dislike Emerson, you strong dislike Piquet Snr & Jnr. So your thoughts on the greatest Brazilian driver ever Ayrton???

:D

its not me. its everyone. i think everyone liked senna so much that we dont care about the others hehe :)

i dont remember much of him, but at the time i liked a lot :) maybe would've been different if i was old enough to understand, but i really dunno.

I don\'t think any real fans will give a flying fig what other drivers have to say. At the end of the day the only men that do the real talking are in the c#ckpit, and their actions speak louder than any words.

I can't wait to see what does happen at Renault, you would have thought that Renault would have seen what had happened during 2007 when Alonso was paired with a rookie and that they'd have paired him with someone known to be a poorer driver, but then maybe Alonso would have learnt not to underestimate the rookie? Stranger things have happened, but can't think of them off the top of my head, lol

Dunno what the fuss is all about. Contractually and performance-wise Alonso will be the number 1 driver in Renault.

From my perspective Nels has done nothing so far to demonstrate that he is at the same level or has the consistency necessary to seriously challenge the top runners.

Well for me I don't think Piquet will threaten Alonso too much because I don't think he's as good and of course Alonso has been contracted No.1 status. What will be interesting is what Nelson Piquet Snr starts to say when Alonso is beating his son, as most here will know the guy can be pretty, well, naughty in his statements to the press (ask Mansell's wife). I expect to see a full on bitching match between Piquet Snr and Alonso by the end of the year, should be funny.

There is no #1 driver clause in Alonso's contract but Flavio won't admit NP Jr. talking bullsh

if they tell u there's no first driver, it means you're the second :P