Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

Not Very Technical But: F1 Modifications From 93 Onwards

The are 3 main reasons as to why there's less overtaking:

When trailing another car

1] front wing loses downforce

2] rear wing loses downforce

3] engine loses power

aerodynamics.jpg

b192su4.jpg

current car vs. early 1990s car

f1modificationscs0.jpg

Notice:

1] lower front wing (more ground effects downforce/less sensitivity)

2] higher rear wing and higher airbox (more clean air/less winglets needed/less sensitivity)

3] slicks (18 inch in the back pre 93) and widetrack (2.0 meters vs. 1.8) better mechanical grip and more predictability and better airflow

unseen here:

4] a more agressive and more potent difusser (= more ground effects downforce = less reliance on the wings with all its consequences)

5] lower ground clearence and a true flat bottom (more ground effects downforce but quite bad for safety)

6] higher sidepods, more nose and higher c#ckpit for safety reasons (this is good)

So to improve the show, I say bring back 1] 2] 3] and 4]

Crucial stuff. If we could go back to early 1990's shape with late 2000s knowledge & safety.... That'd be awesome.

Bring back 1, 2, 3, 4.

EDIT: Also, there is hardly any difference between Monaco & Monza on the 1990's car, does this mean that the cars handled much more similarly at the two tracks than today's cars? I wasn't around back then.

Crucial stuff. If we could go back to early 1990's shape with late 2000s knowledge & safety.... That'd be awesome.

Bring back 1, 2, 3, 4.

EDIT: Also, there is hardly any difference between Monaco & Monza on the 1990's car, does this mean that the cars handled much more similarly at the two tracks than today's cars? I wasn't around back then.

There were actually differences between high downforce & low drag circuits, on the difusser (unseen) and rear wing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNd3lJqIw80 (high downforce rear wing)

Thats a big mistake in the draw... there was huge differences too between Monaco (or any track with more curves than long straights) than Monza...

just look...

High Downforce 1992

2-test.jpg

Low Downforce 1992

4-brazil.jpg