Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1Babe

Should Jenson Button of gone to Cart?

In a recent interview with Radio 5 Live, Stirling Moss said that he thought that Jenson Button should have gone to CART instead of having a year with Benetton.

He argued that Jenson had shown what he could do as a rookie in F1 with Williams, and had a good reputation because of his first year. Moving to Benetton could not work for him as the team were always going to struggle this year, Benetton and Renault made no effort to hide that fact. Because they would be developing a new car and engine the experienced driver (Fisichella) was obviously going to be used more by the team, and the efforts on him would be a little over and above that of his less-experienced teammate. Going to CART would allow him to continue learning his race-craft and also keep his F1 reputation intact.

Did Jenson make a wrong decision, or would he of cut it in Cart? What do you lot think?

:)

No, I think that he & Eddie Irvine should both go to Jordan.

The Irish connection would ensure some very entertaining post race interviews & goodness knows it's needed, considering the sparkling wit exhibited by Mika & Michael at Silverstone.

Seriously though, I think he made the right decision.

He doesn't seem to have the temperement to make it in CART & is probably more at home in Europe.

Don't think he will ever be WDC, a bit of the Johnny Herberts about him unfortunately.

i think anything would have been better than that dog of a benetton seat he is in this year, although, who knows how they will be next year under the full guise of Renault...It may pay off in the long run, like Ralf's move to Williams did...

Who powered Nigel Mansell to his 1992 championship? Renault. Who made Alain Prost's car move in 1993 when the Frenchman won the championship? Renault. Who provided the engines for Michael Schumacher to win his championship in 1995? Renault. Who gave Damon Hill his championship powerhouse in 1996? Renault. Jacques Villeneuve in 1997?

(Edited by TotalF1 Jens at 2:48 am on Aug. 29, 2001)

Let's face it, Jackie Stewart isn't exactly the leading authority on F1 racing - how long ago did he drive?! Button is an up and coming young driver, and he needs to cut his teeth learning his trade with the best drivers in the world, not picking up bad habits from a second-rate tired out American series

Jackie S may not be the leading authority on F1 racing but he must come close to being the leading authority on selling F1 teams for a profit.

What I'm saying is that I think he has a sound business head & knows a good thing (or it's opposite) when he sees it.