Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

New Weird Nose Cone Proposition/solution ?!

AS has a story about a new 'original' nose in trial at the Ferrari wind tunnel, it has a hole on top and in front to create an upwards airflow.

The article does state that it's will only be fitted if "sucessfull in the tunnell" but who knows. I doubt will see it for or at the launch though.

Something like this

ncmcjc1.gif

ncmc2ky4.jpg

Interesting, but seems easy for other teams to copy. But maybe the point is just to get more downforce within the current rules, rather than to have a one-up on the other teams.

Williams were first onto making more use of the nose cone with the "Walrus nose" FW26 (twin keel). However Patrick did admit that the benefit was minimal and the design was dropped.

I think it may slow the car down actually.

Because there will be more air that the car would have to push away, it would also not be good if one of the Ferrari drivers suffers a Face first accident at 180 miles an hour because the front would be more easily penetrated as well.

It may be ok under braking maybe, because it might give it more stability.

I think anyways, thats my Impression, what do you think DOF?

your more of an expert on this than what I am.

I think it may slow the car down actually.

Because there will be more air that the car would have to push away, it would also not be good if one of the Ferrari drivers suffers a Face first accident at 180 miles an hour because the front would be more easily penetrated as well.

It may be ok under braking maybe, because it might give it more stability.

I think anyways, thats my Impression, what do you think DOF?

your more of an expert on this than what I am.

I think we should be prepared for anything this year regarding aerodynamics, as aero will be severely restricted next year, I think the teams are going to pull out all the stops for one last aero showdown.

Be prepared to see some funky/ugly looking cars this year.

Bruce McLaren first discovered how good a hole in the bonnet was testing an M7 canam car when the fuel filler cap came off at speed. After getting back to the pits they replaced the cap but left the hole in the bonnet, only to have Bruce return and enlarge the hole as it was allowing the air that was travelling under the car to escape rather than lift the car and thus reduce downforce over the front axle.

This idea is not new, but it does work - certainly on bigger cars. The question would be does it add enough extra downforce on a narrow nose of an F1 car? For high downforce tracks like Monaco it may help keep the nose going in the right direction.

I'd say Colin Chapman was onto a better idea having the hole in the main body of the car as there is more lift being generated there, but with the advances of aero and computational fluid analysis the engineers have these days, they'd more than likely make it work better than Chapman ever did. His idea was probably more miss than hit. That and it was in a more neutral area of the car - you need the most amount of downforce over or near as damn it to the axles...not under the drivers bottom...

Good post, DOF. I would think that there would be less air flowing under the car and that might affect the downforce of the chassis itself. Or it might just even out to no significant gain. I wonder why this solution is needed when we're back on 'slicks'...or are we? I haven't been motivated enough to find out if that rule is in or out...

No slicks yet...least not till lap 23....slicks maybe next year...you can go back to snoozing now, worry free :)

I couldn't post the article above, so I found this one :D

Fast F2008 to go radical before Aus GP

Monday 11 February at 14:41 : As Ferrari, and particularly Kimi Raikkonen, already display an apparently obvious level of dominance, the Italian team's 2008 car could be set for some radical treatment as the final test days before Melbourne draw near.

It is reported in the Italian magazine Autosprint that, before the F2008's Australian grand prix specification is finalised, an unique solution at the front of the red single seater will be tested in Spain.

Reportedly, the innovation is an opening in the upper front of the car's nose; where the Bridgestone 'B' logo is currently located.

"Well, it's an interesting idea," Red Bull technical director Geoff Willis commented.

"Its function is probably to use the central part of the front wing in a better way."

At the Barcelona circuit next week, Ferrari will also test with new wings, bargeboards and engine cover, despite team manager Luca Baldisserri declaring that he is already "very satisfied" with the F2008's winter showing.

Alongside only Toyota, the team resumed testing in Bahrain for another three days on Saturday.

Ferrari spokesman Luca Colajanni played down the reliability faults that plagued Felipe Massa on Saturday, and both runners on Sunday.

"It's these little glitches you find during testing that are very important. If you have a similar problem in the race and don't know how to fix it, you're out.

"It's crucial that you be very careful and find them now," he told Gulf Daily News.

Source: http://www.totalf1.com/fullstory/view/2445..._before_Aus_GP/

Maybe they're just peeved at Bridgestone for not just supplying them competitive tyres anymore and want to get rid of the B?

Or not....

Oh yeah, look at that.

Don't think that it's very aesthetically pleasing so I hope that it's not successful.

I don't know anything scientific about the cars but it looks to be beneficial to them.

Or everyone has it, depending on it's success.

---

What's with that Red Bull (08) Shark Fin at the back??

Same with that really, perhaps that ould be banned or everyone will have it.

One of the most beautiful cars of all time, and look at the nose and the hole in it. 1972 and I believe an article I read at the time said it was for areo purposes.

The next one is Sniviling Snevas car from 1975, you can really see the opening on this one.

post-262-1203269370.jpg

One of the most beautiful cars of all time, and look at the nose and the hole in it. 1972 and I believe an article I read at the time said it was for areo purposes.

The next one is Sniviling Snevas car from 1975, you can really see the opening on this one.

Nah, that vent is for gonad cooling ;)