Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 FANatic

Super Test Driver

Mikey is a good tester, but certainly if Ferrari want to use him in the capacity he's most suited for, they'd put him back as a race driver.

I find this funny (in an odd, not humourus way). Everywhere I hear how Mikey's retirement was his own decision, but he seems determined to stick around, flirting on the edge of racing. To contrast, when Mika decided to retire, he packed up and left. Period.

Mikey is a good tester, but certainly if Ferrari want to use him in the capacity he's most suited for, they'd put him back as a race driver.

I find this funny (in an odd, not humourus way). Everywhere I hear how Mikey's retirement was his own decision, but he seems determined to stick around, flirting on the edge of racing. To contrast, when Mika decided to retire, he packed up and left. Period.

But in question for me is Michael's ultimate pace against the likes of Kimi. It's a big assumption that he would even be quicker now than Felipe and more importantly that his motivation would be at the levels of before. It was his motivation that surely aided his edge over rivals. Much has been spoken about the reasons for his departure form a race seat and i speak with no authority, only a suspicion that too much has been made of the notion that he was punted out early.

Historically drivers have retired and walked away from the sport, just like Mika, as you say. But for me, Mika was tired and exhausted. His state of mind and the work rate he had been putting in had affected his raw speed. In summary, he was ready for retirement. Eventually Michael would have reached that point but in my opinion wanted to leave on top; Surely more difficult to do but ultimately more flattering to the history books. We must not assume that all champions think the same. Just because he still spends time at Ferrari does not meant that he still yearns a race seat. Brawn said recently that Michael sees racing and driving as two separate things. He still loves driving fast but had apparently startd to get weary of racing and the commitment that goes with it.

He is much loved at Ferrari. It must still be special for him; the relationships and the mutual respect. That is an enviroment that must be difficult to prise yourself from and it is this, i believe is the real reason he is still there.

With Kimi in the race seat and Michael adding valuable experience and input (aswell as aiding Maranello's marketing effort) Ferrari are maximising the tools at their disposal.

Having said all of this, if Felipe were to slip on some grease that a mechanic mistakenly left on the steps to his motorhome and broke a bone, by being on top of Ferrari's current development programme, Michael would slip into a spare seat rather well!

I can dream!!

edited for typos.

But in question for me is Michael's ultimate pace against the likes of Kimi. It's a big assumption that he would even be quicker now than Felipe and more importantly that his motivation would be at the levels of before. It was his motivation that surely aided his edge over rivals. Much has been spoken about the reasons for his departure form a race seat and i speak with no authority, only a suspicion that too much has been made of the notion that he was punted out early.

Historically drivers have retired and walked away from the sport, just like Mika, as you say. But for me, Mika was tired and exhausted. His state of mind and the work rate he had been putting in had affected his raw speed. In summary, he was ready for retirement. Eventually Michael would have reached that point but in my opinion wanted to leave on top; Surely more difficult to do but ultimately more flattering to the history books. We must not assume that all champions think the same. Just because he still spends time at Ferrari does not meant that he still yearns a race seat. Brawn said recently that Michael sees racing and driving as two separate things. He still loves driving fast but had apparently startd to get weary of racing and the commitment that goes with it.

He is much loved at Ferrari. It must still be special for him; the relationships and the mutual respect. That is an enviroment that must be difficult to prise yourself from and it is this, i believe is the real reason he is still there.

With Kimi in the race seat and Michael adding valuable experience and input (aswell as aiding Maranello's marketing effort) Ferrari are maximising the tools at their disposal.

Having said all of this, if Felipe were to slip on some grease that a mechanic mistakenly left on the steps to his motorhome and broke a bone, by being on top of Ferrari's current development programme, Michael would slip into a spare seat rather well!

I can dream!!

edited for typos.

That said it all, I think.

That said it all, I think.

I think so too, I think Michael doesn't want the mental stress of racing, he doesn't want to spend all the time it takes to be on top. He would rather be with his family. But he also does not want to stop driving cars. so how to best do that? Simple, test drive. and thats just what he's doing.

I can dream!!

edited for typos.

Great post Steve :thbup:

Doesnt make sense to me either. It just shows (even more than we already knew) that Schu never actually wanted to retire, he wasnt bored of it. How could he have been, he was on the verge of winning his 8th title?

I wonder what Mrs Schumacher makes of it. She thought she'd have her man around to take the dogs for walkies each morning, and now it turns out he's back in the F1 circus.

I'm interested to know who will fill in for Kimi/Massa in the event of an injury. I know who I'd choose out of Badoer or The Schu

Doesnt make sense to me either. It just shows (even more than we already knew) that Schu never actually wanted to retire, he wasnt bored of it. How could he have been, he was on the verge of winning his 8th title?

I wonder what Mrs Schumacher makes of it. She thought she'd have her man around to take the dogs for walkies each morning, and now it turns out he's back in the F1 circus.

I'm interested to know who will fill in for Kimi/Massa in the event of an injury. I know who I'd choose out of Badoer or The Schu

Welcome back Jem!

I quess it must be hard for anyone who has the "racing virus" to just stop racing! Schumi was getting old and so were his kids so I quess he was right to quit while ahead and alive! For me its not that strange! If ferrari ever came to me and gave me a few millions to develop their road and race cars, working part time, on my conditions, well

I...

... 'd

...accept

... :lol:

Reports suggest that Schumi made the decision to stop at Monaco 2006, or even as early as Indy 2005.

Either way, he was starting to get beat by new young talent at the time so maybe he wanted to retire, whilst still at the top of his game.

We have gone thorugh that topic quite a few times on this forum...