Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

Trulli: Rivals May Have Electronic Start Systems

Trulli: rivals may have start systems

By Michele Lostia and Jonathan Noble Wednesday, January 23rd 2008, 10:23 GMT

1201083982.jpgJarno Trulli fears that some teams have found a way to get around the electronic limitations of Formula One's mandatory standard ECU, are now able to simulate launch control - which was supposed to have been outlawed this year.

The McLaren Electronics Systems (MES) standard ECU has been introduced for 2008, resulting in the effective outlawing of electronic driver aids like traction control, engine braking and launch control.

Although it was hoped that the absence of launch control would lead to more drama at the start of races, with drivers now needing more clutch control and having to handle wheelspin, Trulli thinks not everyone will be on a level playing field when the season kicks off in Melbourne.

He believes that some teams have found a way to make their start procedure automatic, which will hand their drivers a big advantage when the lights go out.

"I'm not going to name any names, but I think that some teams have already found a way to automate the starting procedure and reduce to the minimum the chance of spinning the wheels under acceleration," he was quoted as saying by Italian magazine Autosprint.

"I'm not saying someone's cheating, even though we've received some conflicting information at Toyota.

"But having analyzed the behaviour on the track both now and in the tests in December, the changes between them are many - and in several cases suspicious."

Electronic launch control was banned in 2004, however, mechanical launch control - where the clutch was preloaded based on data away from starting grid - was allowed until the end of last year.

Paddock sources have suggested that some cars do sound different under heavy acceleration, with this first being noticed at the first corner at Jerez during last week's test.

Toyota can lodge a enquiry with the FIA in Melbourne if they believe this sort of activity is happening. It should be easy enough to hear (engine noise) if some teams are side stepping the rule.

:lol: Very interesting. No doubt they can find ways round it. You have the best brains in motor-sport with nothing left to do but cheat.

:lol: Very interesting. No doubt they can find ways round it. You have the best brains in motor-sport with nothing left to do but cheat.

And that my firend is Innovation for you :P

Toyota can lodge a enquiry with the FIA in Melbourne if they believe this sort of activity is happening. It should be easy enough to hear (engine noise) if some teams are side stepping the rule.

You mean something like this?

I know it's old footage....but still farcking cool...

Look, I am sorry, but the best brains in motor sport? Take a look at the clip below -

You mean something like this?

I know it's old footage....but still farcking cool...

Now tell me, how do the best brains in motor sport come up with a car that has the starting handle at the back? How convenient is that? It will never catch on in road cars, that's for sure.

Innovation - pah.

And don't even get me started on a French car 'singing' the English national anthem.

Amen! :D

well whoever cheats the best deserves to win!

About the renault singing the british anthem - dont forget most people at Renault are british (ex-benetton)

I think that Toyota is the cheating party this time. I mean, they must be cheating to suck so much.

Unless he names names, it don't mean a thing, if aint got that swing, doo-wop doo-wop doo-wop.opps sorry. :blush:

well whoever cheats the best deserves to win!

About the renault singing the british anthem - dont forget most people at Renault are british (ex-benetton)

Yeah I did know that, but I wasn't going to say 'And don't get me started on a French car, albeit it in a predominantly British team, singing the English national anthem' :lol:

So engineers have used their brains and got around the ruling? Fair f*cking play. It's like seeing a beautiful animal break free from captivity.

So if Trulli knows this, then surely he must have undertaken some form of spying, be it looking, listening, or reading some tech dossier - so is Mosley a man of his word and he's going to expell Toyota now?

What is the definition of "spying"?

So engineers have used their brains and got around the ruling? Fair f*cking play. It's like seeing a beautiful animal break free from captivity.

:lol: Kudos to your analogy!