Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

For God's Sake Take Off That Helmet!

I have a problem with Fernando's helmet. Give me a moment to drag my soapbox over here and stand on it...

Okay, I'm all set. Ahem.

A car's livery was traditionally based on the nationality of the teams or the engine/manufacturer they ran (often one and the same). Ah, would that it had stayed that way, but globalization and corporations have made this a quaint, though unworkable, tradition. Today's cars change livery each year and it's Accepted and Normal. The drivers' helmets are following this trend and it disturbs me.

A driver's helmet should be the livery and personal standard of the driver; a design to be kept throughout the driver's career regardless of team or sponsor. Easily identifiable in the mess of a sponsor-laden car. A bright yellow Senna. A silver and red Andretti. A red Schumacher. Alonso's helmet is as mutable as his ethics. One season he matched the Mild Seven blue (coincidentally matching Asturias), the next team it matched Vodofone Mercedes and now it matches the Renault ING. It should be a matter of pride to be identified with your helmet and a two-time world champion should, in my view, hold more to this tradition. Where he and other 'big hitters' lead, others will follow and one more tradition will be ground to dust.

Ahem. Well, that's all. I'll leave the soapbox here if anyone want to use it. Be careful though...falling off that soapbox is a tad embarrassing.

I've not seen his helmet so can't comment - is there a pic somewhere?

As for helmets in general, I too prefer to see drivers stay with one design with minor modifications each year due to sponsors or teams - not a whole hearted change.

Hamilton has been in yellow a long time, and will stay that way. Wurz has had the same helmet design for like ever. JV's was easily recognisable, and DC's is very well known, though when he was with Hakkinen it was often hard to tell them apart from a long shot (BRING BACK THE BIG NUMBERS ON THE WINGS!!!). Schumi and Schumi Jnr essentially stayed the same over the years. And of course the rowing club stayed with the Hill family.

Last year, Fisi's was just yuck, so he is allowed to change :P

One off special's should be allowed though - like a pink one for cancer or something....now, which of the current drivers would look good in pink?

I don't like Nando's new helmet. But then again, I didn't like any of his helmets. Hated Senna's too. The only helmet I ever loved was Trulli's silver helmet.

Other than that, I couldn't care less about helmets.

(Did I use the word "helmets" too much?)

Alonso's can be seen in the Renault launch thread.

The vast amount of drivers still follow the tradition, but my point is that Alonso will be setting a new trend. Like him or hate him, Alonso is a driver that other drivers will emulate. When he starts breaking traditions, others will also..mark me on this.

I'm fine with one-offs. I liked Rubens' one-off some years back that had the Brazilian flag, yet still followed his twin oval design.

I don't like Nando's new helmet. But then again, I didn't like any of his helmets. Hated Senna's too. The only helmet I ever loved was Trulli's silver helmet.

Other than that, I couldn't care less about helmets.

(Did I use the word "helmets" too much?)

You just have no sense of history. And your mom dresses you funny.

You just have no sense of history. And your mom dresses you funny.

How did you know? I mean, how dare you?

:whistling:

About helmets.. I think now the traditon is to change helmets once you move teams... Kimis changed his, Alonso had too many changes in a few years thus it looks like hes changing it for the heck of it...

About helmets.. I think now the traditon is to change helmets once you move teams... Kimis changed his, Alonso had too many changes in a few years thus it looks like hes changing it for the heck of it...

That's my point and it's a sad thing to see happening. Thanks for reminding me about Kimi, he's also a driver others will emulate.

EDIT: It's the ultimate expression of "I'm a whore that's completely for sale".

That's my point and it's a sad thing to see happening. Thanks for reminding me about Kimi, he's also a driver others will emulate.

Paul's not in this thread yet...

:P

I very much have to agree. Helmets are pretty much the only way to tell drivers apart anymore and todays young crop do not cherish this enough. You could always tell where Stewart was on track, he was really the first I can think of who a distinctive helmet. Ever since then most drivers featured some form of national homage on their helmets. Even Alonso used to have it. But in the last two or three years it is no longer like that and I think that shift has removed something very special. I think it all started when Michael started getting Flak for having the German Flag on the back of his helmet and then he took it off so the other drivers were: "like whatevs"

As for helmets in general, I too prefer to see drivers stay with one design with minor modifications each year due to sponsors or teams - not a whole hearted change.

I agree with you HandyNZL, minor modifications are ok but the original concept should be retained from year to year. I like the aces on Fernando's helmet but the rest of the helmet design is average.

I guess it's just a sign of the times, younger drivers like change.

I have a problem with Fernando's helmet. Give me a moment to drag my soapbox over here and stand on it...

Okay, I'm all set. Ahem.

A car's livery was traditionally based on the nationality of the teams or the engine/manufacturer they ran (often one and the same). Ah, would that it had stayed that way, but globalization and corporations have made this a quaint, though unworkable, tradition. Today's cars change livery each year and it's Accepted and Normal. The drivers' helmets are following this trend and it disturbs me.

A driver's helmet should be the livery and personal standard of the driver; a design to be kept throughout the driver's career regardless of team or sponsor. Easily identifiable in the mess of a sponsor-laden car. A bright yellow Senna. A silver and red Andretti. A red Schumacher. Alonso's helmet is as mutable as his ethics. One season he matched the Mild Seven blue (coincidentally matching Asturias), the next team it matched Vodofone Mercedes and now it matches the Renault ING. It should be a matter of pride to be identified with your helmet and a two-time world champion should, in my view, hold more to this tradition. Where he and other 'big hitters' lead, others will follow and one more tradition will be ground to dust.

Ahem. Well, that's all. I'll leave the soapbox here if anyone want to use it. Be careful though...falling off that soapbox is a tad embarrassing.

He changed to red when he went to Ferrari, most likely to fit in with the car and/or team....

I agree with you HandyNZL, minor modifications are ok but the original concept should be retained from year to year. I like the aces on Fernando's helmet but the rest of the helmet design is average.

I guess it's just a sign of the times, younger drivers like change.

Look - I'm getting near middle age....one can only take so much change before...whiz bang brain explodes... :o

Ok Sato! We heard you the first time! :P

:lol:

Look - I'm getting near middle age....one can only take so much change before...whiz bang brain explodes... :o

Ok Sato! We heard you the first time! :P

Wow... My net realy was sucking quite bad at that moment!

Paul's not in this thread yet...

:P

You're supposed to tip me of potential deals before the event, not after. Some pimp you turned out to be.

No wait a minute....................I mean, you're words insult my honour and integrity.

Okay, I'm all set. Ahem.

I like the fact that you are using Alonso's helmet to take a swing as his "ethics".

Myself, I couldn't care less about anyone's helmet. As you say, the liveries change, why go for the drivers? Perhaps if you were going off on the Spanish flag that I think is finding its way back to Alonso's helmet... there could be something there. But, then again, I seem to remember that Ecclestone wanted a more nationalistic competition in the future... a kind of World Cup of F1, I guess.

I do believe.. i read it somewhere, that Ron Dislikes the drivers choosing personal colours or something like that........ thats why alonso changed his......

And haircuts, etc, etc. Other drivers (Kimi, Montoya) have spoken on this.

I do believe.. i read it somewhere, that Ron Dislikes the drivers choosing personal colours or something like that........ thats why alonso changed his......

Yeah - thats why DC has a scottish flag on his helmet, and Senna had a Brazillian flag scheme, and Montoya had the Columbian flag on his helmet, and Mika had the colours of the Finnish flag.... <_<

Ya, thanx for reminding. Actually, I don't think Kimi's Helmet is completely different. He changed it according to his team's sponsors etc. The Traditional Kimi Design is still retained on top of the helmet. I don't know what it is!

A driver's helmet should be the livery and personal standard of the driver; a design to be kept throughout the driver's career regardless of team or sponsor.

A comment I very much agree on and expressed thought in the latter part of the Toyota launch thread. But to correct one aspect, I wouldn't say should, but I would like to see this approach.

[quote name='Autumnpuma' post='237617' date='Jan 28 2008, 06:54 PM']A driver's helmet should be the livery and personal standard of the driver; a design to be kept throughout the driver's career regardless of team or sponsor.[/quote]
I could not agree more. I think I complained along these lines in the thread containing nando's new helmet pic

I could not agree more. I think I complained along these lines in the thread containing nando's new helmet pic

Indeed!

I think Nando is vane and only wants to "fashionably" match his team.

He has no individuality, everything has its price.