Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Nakijima

Wurz' opinion on Nakajima is interesting, but not worth much. You can only tell if a driver is cut out for F1 after you see how that driver handles the rigours of a full F1 season. Take Wurz' opinions with a healthy handful of salt.

On to the man himself. Performances in past series often don't mean that much*. As most astute people have already pointed out, the races are shorter, the cars less powerful and certainly less technical. The sponsorship obligations are zero. The pressure is generally less. All these things need to be dealt with by Nakajima and frankly those will sort him out, as Nathan says, by Silverstone.

Driving over his pit crew? Bah. Keeps 'em on their toes.

*Aside from pitting their skill against European drivers. This is crucial for any non-European with his sights set on F1. Ide had virtually no European racing experience and we saw the results of that. Sato and Nakajima both could have ended up like Ide except they DID race in Europe and that better prepared them for F1.

EDIT: Bro's post above would seem to suggest that a shunt in practice is an indication of that driver's lack of skill. Not so. Shunts are common in practices because the drivers and engineers are trying to find that 'limit'. When you're testing new parts, that limit is unknown until you step beyond it and shunt.

Word.

Remember the pre-season biggie by a guy called Lewis? Many had him written off before he started.In the end, I seem to remember him doing rather well though.

Word.

Remember the pre-season biggie by a guy called Lewis? Many had him written off before he started.In the end, I seem to remember him doing rather well though.

He didn't race in Brazil the season before coming, nor was he a pay driver....

Naki is pretty quick and ballsy, he is a little reckless and needs to learn a bit of control and racecraft. In my opinion he's not quite ready for F1, nevertheless he will be good fun to watch and will spice up the show - unlike say, a Ralf Schumacher.

Naki is pretty quick and ballsy, he is a little reckless and needs to learn a bit of control and racecraft. In my opinion he's not quite ready for F1, nevertheless he will be good fun to watch and will spice up the show - unlike say, a Ralf Schumacher.

JPM was like that at first. So was Rosberg (and Ralfie!) and many others. I don't think that is a clear indication of how ready a person is for F1.

JPM was like that at first. So was Rosberg (and Ralfie!) and many others. I don't think that is a clear indication of how ready a person is for F1.

True, I just think another year of GP2 or an F1 testing role could help him, because he wasn't that impressive in GP2. Still though one performance is nothing to go by and he should improve, like Massa or those you mentioned did.

Wurz' opinion on Nakajima is interesting, but not worth much. You can only tell if a driver is cut out for F1 after you see how that driver handles the rigours of a full F1 season. Take Wurz' opinions with a healthy handful of salt.

On to the man himself. Performances in past series often don't mean that much*. As most astute people have already pointed out, the races are shorter, the cars less powerful and certainly less technical. The sponsorship obligations are zero. The pressure is generally less. All these things need to be dealt with by Nakajima and frankly those will sort him out, as Nathan says, by Silverstone.

Driving over his pit crew? Bah. Keeps 'em on their toes.

*Aside from pitting their skill against European drivers. This is crucial for any non-European with his sights set on F1. Ide had virtually no European racing experience and we saw the results of that. Sato and Nakajima both could have ended up like Ide except they DID race in Europe and that better prepared them for F1.

EDIT: Bro's post above would seem to suggest that a shunt in practice is an indication of that driver's lack of skill. Not so. Shunts are common in practices because the drivers and engineers are trying to find that 'limit'. When you're testing new parts, that limit is unknown until you step beyond it and shunt.

Yup, but anyways, this shunt is not his fault though.

Re: George and Andres' chat.

F1 isn't the place where you learn to drive. We have GP2 for that.

So you think a guy that mistakes the drink button with a launch button, or that stays out of pits way after his tires gave up should be in GP2 instead of F1? :P

Come on! The guy only made 1 (one) memorable mistake! Cut him some slack! F1 would be a desert empty of drivers if it was that strict.

So you think a guy that mistakes the drink button with a launch button, or that stays out of pits way after his tires gave up should be in GP2 instead of F1? :P

:lol: Sure. But he knows how to go around corners and that's what we're talikng about. Sometimes even the best fall asleep. Maybe Lewis was bored, Kimi style?

Re: George and Andres' chat.

F1 isn't the place where you learn to drive. We have GP2 for that.

Yeah but there are certain things that you have to learn in F1 like strategy, better understanding of the (more complex) car your driving, and also the examples Andres gave. Don't write Naki off too soon (unless he runs over his pit crew again).

Anyway I do agree with the statement, that's why I said he needs another year in GP2 or a testing role! :)

In the days of the massacr... erghh old Grand Prix/F1 racing there were plenty of oportunities as demand exceded supply, so a good driver could get his big break (cause half the grid was gonna be killed in just a years) and a poor drivers is something that team bosses weren't very keen on.