Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Bernie Can Go **** Himself

Melbourne Grand Prix faces axe - F1 boss

MELBOURNE'S Formula One Grand Prix appears doomed, with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone claiming that he and the sport's teams and sponsors want to quit Melbourne.

Ecclestone wants to chase better money, sponsorship and television audiences in other parts of the world.

He also took a shot at Premier John Brumby, saying he has given the event little support.

Mr Ecclestone said he might move the race to India, Russia or Korea and Melbourne's contract had little or no chance of being renewed beyond 2010.

The London-based F1 chief said sponsors and teams also wanted a move. "Maybe we don't want to be in Australia," he said.

"Our costs are very high in Australia and we get a lot less money. It's bloody bad for us. We've got quite a few places on the list which would like to have Formula One and as it seems your guy (Mr Brumby) down there doesn't want Formula One. We can make him happy."

In a big blow to Australia's hopes of keeping the event, Mr Ecclestone also said:

HE he was under "quite a lot" of pressure from other countries to take the Melbourne Grand Prix abroad.

THE Grand Prix would not move to Queensland, NSW or South Australia - quashing bids by other states to hijack the event.

THE only chance Melbourne had to keep the race was to hold it at night.

Mr Ecclestone said carmakers and sponsors supported quitting Melbourne.

Last year's Grand Prix lost almost $35 million and since 1996, when former premier Jeff Kennett lured the event from Adelaide, it has lost more than $130 million. The Grand Prix is guaranteed at Albert Park for the next three years and this year's race, from March 13-16, is enjoying strong ticket sales.

But Mr Brumby has previously raised doubts about the future of the race in Melbourne. Revenue dropped from $52.6 million in 2005 to $43.4 million in 2007 while expenditure rose from $66.2 million in 2005 to $78 million in 2007.

The licence fee for 2010 is understood to be more than $40 million.

Mr Ecclestone said that if Melbourne were to retain the race, conditions would be non-negotiable. He said: "In Melbourne, if we were to continue to be there, we would have to have a night race - the only option."

He said he had not yet discussed the race's future with Australian Grand Prix chairman Ron Walker. He said his mind would be made up by money, television coverage and sponsors.

"Why wouldn't we take it somewhere else?" he said. "Unfortunately, we would have to consider the financial aspect for a start."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23151985-2,00.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Bernie smoking. The sponsors may not like Australia but the teams love it as they keep voting the Australian GP as the best run Grand Prix of the year. Bernie is a money hungary git who deserves to be put in a bath of acid while having Paris Hilton sing a song from her latest album at him. Then after he has died whatever remains of his courpse should be fed to the pigs. Then we should take the bigs manure and put it in the middle of some quick sand.

Melbourne Grand Prix faces axe - F1 boss

MELBOURNE'S Formula One Grand Prix appears doomed, with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone claiming that he and the sport's teams and sponsors want to quit Melbourne.

Ecclestone wants to chase better money, sponsorship and television audiences in other parts of the world.

He also took a shot at Premier John Brumby, saying he has given the event little support.

Mr Ecclestone said he might move the race to India, Russia or Korea and Melbourne's contract had little or no chance of being renewed beyond 2010.

The London-based F1 chief said sponsors and teams also wanted a move. "Maybe we don't want to be in Australia," he said.

"Our costs are very high in Australia and we get a lot less money. It's bloody bad for us. We've got quite a few places on the list which would like to have Formula One and as it seems your guy (Mr Brumby) down there doesn't want Formula One. We can make him happy."

In a big blow to Australia's hopes of keeping the event, Mr Ecclestone also said:

HE he was under "quite a lot" of pressure from other countries to take the Melbourne Grand Prix abroad.

THE Grand Prix would not move to Queensland, NSW or South Australia - quashing bids by other states to hijack the event.

THE only chance Melbourne had to keep the race was to hold it at night.

Mr Ecclestone said carmakers and sponsors supported quitting Melbourne.

Last year's Grand Prix lost almost $35 million and since 1996, when former premier Jeff Kennett lured the event from Adelaide, it has lost more than $130 million. The Grand Prix is guaranteed at Albert Park for the next three years and this year's race, from March 13-16, is enjoying strong ticket sales.

But Mr Brumby has previously raised doubts about the future of the race in Melbourne. Revenue dropped from $52.6 million in 2005 to $43.4 million in 2007 while expenditure rose from $66.2 million in 2005 to $78 million in 2007.

The licence fee for 2010 is understood to be more than $40 million.

Mr Ecclestone said that if Melbourne were to retain the race, conditions would be non-negotiable. He said: "In Melbourne, if we were to continue to be there, we would have to have a night race - the only option."

He said he had not yet discussed the race's future with Australian Grand Prix chairman Ron Walker. He said his mind would be made up by money, television coverage and sponsors.

"Why wouldn't we take it somewhere else?" he said. "Unfortunately, we would have to consider the financial aspect for a start."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23151985-2,00.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Bernie smoking. The sponsors may not like Australia but the teams love it as they keep voting the Australian GP as the best run Grand Prix of the year. Bernie is a money hungary git who deserves to be put in a bath of acid while having Pari Hilton sing a song from her latest album at him. Then after he has died whatever remains of his courpse should be fed to the pigs. Then we should take the bigs manure and put it in the middle of some quick sand.

Bath of acid, yes. His corpse fed to pigs, yes. But the Paris Hilton thing? Are you sick in the head?

Long live the Australian Grand Prix. It keeps the world of F1 truly international and should be preserved at all costs. There are European venues that should be axed first. Not having a GP down under would be a damned shame.

Bath of acid, yes. His corpse fed to pigs, yes. But the Paris Hilton thing? Are you sick in the head?

Long live the Australian Grand Prix. It keeps the world of F1 truly international and should be preserved at all costs. There are European venues that should be axed first. Not having a GP down under would be a damned shame.

See i agree it would be a shame. BUT if the powerful (politicans) Aussies don't want to pay Bernie his ransom, then they can't have the GP... And if it is making losses of millions then it probably isn't worth keeping the race, when that money could be put to better use. However if they can improve the track and make it more SUSTAINABLE then that the way to go, but i doubt it will happen. I think the Aussie Race is out from 2010...

Maybe Victoria dont want the Grand Prix but we know that several other states do. Bernie just doesnt want to have the Australian Grand Prix because we live in a rather undesirable timezone and that p**ses me off no end as i have to get watch formula 1 at 2am for majority of the rounds but for some reasons Europeans cant stay up for 2 or 3 rounds.

I wonder about the financial status of other races - do they all make a loss? If not, how come Aus does? If they do, how come Bernie is using that argument?

I hear you ykick....for going on 16years I've been getting up every other weekend at midnight or 1am on Sunday nights to watch F1 - then leave for work at 6am....

It's because Bernie is old and he needs his nap time.

And he's a whinging pom.

Always, always, comes down to the muh-nee....

I wonder about the financial status of other races - do they all make a loss? If not, how come Aus does? If they do, how come Bernie is using that argument?

I think you will find most races calendar make a loss due to Bernie's extremely high licence fees.

Bernie is a money hungary git who deserves to be put in a bath of acid while having Paris Hilton sing a song from her latest album at him. Then after he has died whatever remains of his courpse should be fed to the pigs. Then we should take the bigs manure and put it in the middle of some quick sand.

Er, so I am guessing that you don't like him then..... :)

Actually I don't either and I would not want to see the Aussie GP going, but if revenues are falling and it is making a thumping loss its probably going to die a death anyway. Thing is there are plenty of others willing to step in with money. And that, unfortunately is what this "sport" has become.

If its any comfort, that "whingeing" pom has been trying to kill Silverstone as well. There is a very real chance in the next 2-3 years that F1 will be centred mainly around the Middle East, Asia and a range of other developing countries.

USGP lost money, but that never inspired Bernie to get rid of it. In fact, he wanted to keep it.

The truth is, unless some Arab oil billionaire is involved, Bernie doesn't want to be a part of it. For whatever reason that you'll never know, Australia doesn't fit in the big picture. Bernie seems to like countries with billionaires with nothing better to do and no real national sports, as, according to Bernie, if you can't beat the competition, avoid it.

Maybe Victoria dont want the Grand Prix but we know that several other states do. Bernie just doesnt want to have the Australian Grand Prix because we live in a rather undesirable timezone and that p**ses me off no end as i have to get watch formula 1 at 2am for majority of the rounds but for some reasons Europeans cant stay up for 2 or 3 rounds.

Oz's timezone is similar to Japan's, China's, etc.

I think Ecclestone is making a fool of himself on other counts.....

I think the others are fully supported by their country governments rather than the state so....

Er, so I am guessing that you don't like him then..... :)

Actually I don't either and I would not want to see the Aussie GP going, but if revenues are falling and it is making a thumping loss its probably going to die a death anyway. Thing is there are plenty of others willing to step in with money. And that, unfortunately is what this "sport" has become.

If its any comfort, that "whingeing" pom has been trying to kill Silverstone as well. There is a very real chance in the next 2-3 years that F1 will be centred mainly around the Middle East, Asia and a range of other developing countries.

Me was trying to kill Silverstone, until Lewis came into F1 and created a record rookie season. From now on, if he can impress in yr2 and 3 don't be surprised if a second track comes up in UK for F1. Bernie is quite a mastermind, he goes to the championship winner's hometown and sets 2 races there, Spain has 2 this year. Germany had 2 for the past few years... This also gives Bernie a lot of money via ticket sales/ asserory sales, etc...

USGP lost money, but that never inspired Bernie to get rid of it. In fact, he wanted to keep it.

The truth is, unless some Arab oil billionaire is involved, Bernie doesn't want to be a part of it. For whatever reason that you'll never know, Australia doesn't fit in the big picture. Bernie seems to like countries with billionaires with nothing better to do and no real national sports, as, according to Bernie, if you can't beat the competition, avoid it.

He wanted to keep it in US for the small market it had, in hopes of expanding it, but the trackowner refused to pay the extra lumsum and thus it went off...

Oz's timezone is similar to Japan's, China's, etc.

I think Ecclestone is making a fool of himself on other counts.....

He want Aussie GP to be a night race, if the state govt still wants to sponser it, otherwise get rid of it. He has too many options from other countries willing to pay him double...

Not cool. I don't buy the timezone argument. It's all about the sponsorship demographics and such. That's why he wanted it to be a night race. The Aussies said no, Bernie is now saying well we don't need you.

Yet Spain has 2x GPs. Get rid of Malaysia, Bahrain or Hungary, but not the Aus GP. It's a fixture just like the Aus Open Tennis. Give another state a chance. Heck have it in Sydney with the cars going over the harbour bridge. Now that would be something to see.

Nothing I as a spectator can do about it really.

He wanted to keep it in US for the small market it had, in hopes of expanding it, but the trackowner refused to pay the extra lumsum and thus it went off...

Yep, I know. TG has bigger things than a GP that doesn't sell out. He's got a series, that will soon be an empire, to run, and the Indy 500. And his biggest race: the Allstate 400. Good job TG. I like anyone who tells Bernie to **** off.

Speaking of Malaysia...when was the last time it was a full house? There's no way that Malaysia can be turning a profit.

according to me, the difference in time zone only makes the sport more special. It makes us more enthusiastic about the sport, it makes the cricket and football fans look less crazy about the sport they follows. Makes it sweet when we stay awake during night and watching our favorite driver/team win the race. Makes us more emotional when they lose, makes more us involving, it brings out the true fan sprit. If Bernie wants to make the sport more convenient to European or other fans, then he should encourage us to buy the play station.

Yep! Amen to what Ykick said. But it would be a disgrace to pigs though!

Bernie Likes Australia, all he wants is for it to be a night race, Think about it, it will be Prime time in Europe and it will be prime time in Australia too.

But we will just have to wait and see I suppose.

If Melbourne looses this fight shall I suggest a swap with Sydney with the A1GP Race?

Maybe a street race in Homebush?

With A1GP going to Phillip Island?

What does everybody think?

Because today at A1GP there must have been on estimate 20,000 people at the Creek but A1 was barely advertised in Sydney and with Albert Park becomming stale, what does everyone think?

It may work, have the race track based around Flemmington markets a stone throw away from where the Olympics were based.

And with people flocking from Flemmington markets to watch the qualifying session...

A1GP being cheaper to run and around a top track like the Island all A1 needs is advertisment and Melbourne can advertise it.

Whilst F1 to Sydney will open a new amount of Fans.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

At the end of the day, Money talks and Bull sh#t walks.

Dosent it.

He want Aussie GP to be a night race, if the state govt still wants to sponser it, otherwise get rid of it. He has too many options from other countries willing to pay him double...

Yep, the night race, that is what I remember too. But, again, I don't recall him asking China or Japan to do same.

Bernie Likes Australia, all he wants is for it to be a night race, Think about it, it will be Prime time in Europe and it will be prime time in Australia too.

But we will just have to wait and see I suppose.

If Melbourne looses this fight shall I suggest a swap with Sydney with the A1GP Race?

Maybe a street race in Homebush?

With A1GP going to Phillip Island?

What does everybody think?

Because today at A1GP there must have been on estimate 20,000 people at the Creek but A1 was barely advertised in Sydney and with Albert Park becomming stale, what does everyone think?

It may work, have the race track based around Flemmington markets a stone throw away from where the Olympics were based.

And with people flocking from Flemmington markets to watch the qualifying session...

A1GP being cheaper to run and around a top track like the Island all A1 needs is advertisment and Melbourne can advertise it.

Whilst F1 to Sydney will open a new amount of Fans.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

At the end of the day, Money talks and Bull sh#t walks.

Dosent it.

yes bro!

Well that sucks, one of my favourites - I actually like getting up and watching it in the early morning hours, makes it even more special, especially since it's the season opener.

Anyway, this is the nature of the beast that is F1.

I think the others are fully supported by their country governments rather than the state so....

Me was trying to kill Silverstone, until Lewis came into F1 and created a record rookie season. From now on, if he can impress in yr2 and 3 don't be surprised if a second track comes up in UK for F1. Bernie is quite a mastermind, he goes to the championship winner's hometown and sets 2 races there, Spain has 2 this year. Germany had 2 for the past few years... This also gives Bernie a lot of money via ticket sales/ asserory sales, etc...

Great points Ankit. I hadn't thought about all that.

Yep, the night race, that is what I remember too. But, again, I don't recall him asking China or Japan to do same.

China and Japan are big markets for F1, which he is trying to capture, Austrailia is like a pent force, he tried and didn't see a huge response... China, India, Japan, Korea all are upcoming and he wants viewership there to increase, so no night races over there....

I actually like getting up and watching it in the early morning hours, makes it even more special, especially since it's the season opener.

Me too. I love the fact that none of my family understand why you have to watch it live.

I've got to say from a purely selfish point of view, a night race would be fantastic making it a usual race time here in the UK.

From a purely selfish point of view, all night races in Europe would be fantastic making it a usual race time here in NZ / Aussie.

:P