Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JayStorm

James Allen Of Itv Commentary

The thing that really bugs me most about James Allen is that he'll blurt on about something as fact, Martin will correct him, and then he blurt on about what Martin just said. He honestly isn't that knowledgeable about F1 and Martin covers up for him sooooo much. At least Murray's gaffs were started with "if I'm not mistaken, and I usually am" that made him endearing

My main problem, though, is that Jenson Button made them sound like rank amateurs and it was his first time in the commentary box.
A second rate driver maybe but his experience on the track gives him what I believe is an inside line to the thought processes of a driver.

Well i guess there is no substitute for having actually worked on the shop floor. I too thought Button was excellent. Here's hoping Honda have more illegal fuel tanks!

The thing that really bugs me most about James Allen is that he'll blurt on about something as fact, Martin will correct him, and then he blurt on about what Martin just said. He honestly isn't that knowledgeable about F1 and Martin covers up for him sooooo much. At least Murray's gaffs were started with "if I'm not mistaken, and I usually am" that made him endearing

I disagree HandyNZL.... I think James Allen is extremely knowledgeable about F1....He just is'nt a good communicator/commentator. It's as simple as that, some people are just born to be, others aint!

I agree with Brad. The guy knows a lot about F1 and his journalism isn't that bad. But, he has a tendency to sycophancy and is just not very good at communicating his knowledge verbally. He just opens his mouth and talks bollocks. In a whiny voice.

As for Martin, I think second rate is a bit harsh. He is a very good commentator indeed, but his cynicism sometimes gets the better of him.

I'm now startinto think that Ted Kravitz would be the same as James Allen...

That does remind me though, Jenson was pure class in the commentary box. Davidson was pretty good too.

Maybe they should swap the commentary teams around more often like with Snooker. Then there would be more pressure to deliver good commentary.

Well i guess there is no substitute for having actually worked on the shop floor. I too thought Button was excellent. Here's hoping Honda have more illegal fuel tanks!

Anybody got any white powder left? :lol:

Maybe I should have said made Allen sound like a rank amateur as a commentator as I do actually like Brundle (aside from the cynicicsm now and again) and I thought he was bit better than a 2nd rate driver too.

As you say, I think there is no substitute for at least having 1 of the commentators who has worked on the shop floor. After Button's guest appearance, though, I wonder if the 1 on the shop floor needs to be *'updated' now and again, because Button seemed a bit more insightful.

* - by updated, I mean maybe do a few more drives, or do longer drives in 1 of the current cars, like he does for some of the features. Does he still drive the 2 seater F1 cars for celebrities and the like, as well? Ultimately, though, there's probably no substitute for actually being a current driver and being a good communicator, as Button was/is.

I agree with Brad. The guy knows a lot about F1 and his journalism isn't that bad. But, he has a tendency to sycophancy and is just not very good at communicating his knowledge verbally. He just opens his mouth and talks bollocks. In a whiny voice.

As for Martin, I think second rate is a bit harsh. He is a very good commentator indeed, but his cynicism sometimes gets the better of him.

Yeah, that's my only real criticism of Martin and possibly the point about updating, above.

That does remind me though, Jenson was pure class in the commentary box. Davidson was pretty good too.

Maybe they should swap the commentary teams around more often like with Snooker. Then there would be more pressure to deliver good commentary.

Yeah, I get the feeling Ted would be like that too, though it's possible that he could be pretty good. As Brad says, it's more to do with communicative skills, than actual knowledge.

I disagree HandyNZL.... I think James Allen is extremely knowledgeable about F1....He just is'nt a good communicator/commentator. It's as simple as that, some people are just born to be, others aint!

:thbup: I remember a quiz in some F1 mag where he went head to head with another F1 journalist, got something like 9/10 and the questions were very obscure.

I think your right, I don't get the impression he would be any better, and I don't see how he could be any more knowledgeable.

As for Martin, I think second rate is a bit harsh.

How would you classify him?

If this season is anything like 2007, then the commentary will be another Hamilton love-in. I hope it isn't, but if it is, time to press the mute button again.........

If this season is anything like 2007, then the commentary will be another Hamilton love-in. I hope it isn't, but if it is, time to press the mute button again.........

I would be interesting in developing a TotalF1.com online radio station however with online streaming, you're looking at a delay of around 8 seconds which would prove to be annoying.

I would be interesting in developing a TotalF1.com online radio station however with online streaming, you're looking at a delay of around 8 seconds which would prove to be annoying.

So we just have to be 8 seconds ahead of the action? No problem. We can just shout out 'YEAHHHHHHHH!' 8 seconds before Kimi crosses the finishing line to win at every grand prix.

You want bad?

Rusty Wallace Promotes His Son

(That may be fake, but if you replace a couple Steven Wallaces with "I tell you boys, he's got hisself one of them fast hot rods" it'll be 100% accurate)

Rusty, by the way, is the same man who called the 2006 Indianapolis 500 the greatest Daytona 500 he ever saw. What an idiot. The 1989 Indy 500 was definitely a much better Daytona 500, and he knows it.

You want bad?

Rusty Wallace Promotes His Son

(That may be fake, but if you replace a couple Steven Wallaces with "I tell you boys, he's got hisself one of them fast hot rods" it'll be 100% accurate)

Rusty, by the way, is the same man who called the 2006 Indianapolis 500 the greatest Daytona 500 he ever saw. What an idiot. The 1989 Indy 500 was definitely a much better Daytona 500, and he knows it.

Sure does have a lot of kids called Steven...they all inbreds or something?

How would you classify him?

As someone who made a career out of picking the wrong team. But, then again, that did allow us to see him drag that sh!tbox of a Brabham up into 2nd place at Monaco (before it self destructed). And put a normally aspirated Tyrrell where it had no right to be amongst the turbo cars. Fifth in your first race ain't bad. Following it up with second in Detroit ain't bad either. Although smashing your ankles to bits isn't recommended.

As far as I know, he's the only guy to finish first and second in the same race.

Not top flight, granted, but I think better than second rate.

Yes indeed and it is disgusting. Honestly people, stay focused for once and keep a thread on topic :whistling:

Ahh yes... James Allen = biased pr!ck

I hope ITV don't ruin this years F1 commentary like last season with Hamilton this Hamilton that & reeling back his Karting days specials every 2 GPs. What I also hope not to see is that if Kovvy outqualis Hamilton, they won't have a secret hatred for him, which would be unfair on the Finn who could follow in the footsteps of other great Finns like Hakkinen, Makkinen, Raikonnen etc.

I rather have my hopes on HK too.

The Ferraris look set to be a massive challenge for him as well but even so, whatever the circumstances and results of Grand Prixs, I can still see ITV making excuses of him.

Having said that, ITV have been a bit fickle only recently with Jenson and how he was going to be Mr. Formula 1 and as soon as he had a few duff performances and bad luck they couldn't seem to care less about him.

Could happen again if Lewis has a dire season or two and another promising British driver comes along.

His name ends with 'nen'. He'll be fine.