Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

6/10ths Alonso? Pfft...be A Real Man And Get 5secs...

Topic title did throw me a bit.

What a great overtaking manouvre though, that's how it's done.

---

Great stuff by Murray though, although it was unusual to have the crowd charge in so it would be easier to sound excited.

Still, miles better, pardon the pun than JA.

He did have a lot of help from Piquet on that one. Piquet just left the door open.

BTW, this is a good thread as any for some "Piquet, Sr. appreciation Day".

Giants of F1 laughing and joking about each other

These guys were among the greatest of all times, yet they still knew how to laugh at each other. Today's drivers (yes, including Alonso) have not achieved what these guys did, yet nowadays drivers act as if they were kings. I miss that feeling as much as I miss the action on track.

Can i p!ss on the fire here? I found it a little sycophantic. Real men don't need crowds of people to gve them 5 seconds. They find it from within.

Great clip of Mansell, thanks. Just one more visual demonstration of why I rank him among the four fastest men alive today.

These guys were among the greatest of all times, yet they still knew how to laugh at each other. Today's drivers (yes, including Alonso) have not achieved what these guys did, yet nowadays drivers act as if they were kings. I miss that feeling as much as I miss the action on track.

I have to take a slight issue with this. A king acts as he does because he's got more money than everyone else. In the early 70s we began to see the driver's walk more and more like kings when they started making more and more money. Before that, when money was secondary to the art of driving, we had a few drivers acting like kings but for the most part they were 'down to earth' guys. That being said, in those days the drivers were still pretty arrogant; you can't waltz with Death every month and walk small.

Now today's drivers do joke and get along with one another, but the only publicity we see involves the negative relationships. How many of you out there in forum-land knew that DC and Mikey the Schu are friends? Ditto DC and JV. Alonso and He-of-the-unspellable-name get along real well as did Alonso and Trulli. Jenson and Taku are still friends. There are a great many good, funny moments out there waiting to be publicized; blame the media, not the drivers, for any lack of it.

Georges Boillot

GeorgesBoillot.jpg

Georges Boillot was considered the best driver in the world before the break of WWI. But he also the most arrogant grand-prix driver ever, maybe even the most arrogant driver ever.

Georges Boillot

GeorgesBoillot.jpg

Georges Boillot was considered the best driver in the world before the break of WWI. But he also the most arrogant grand-prix driver ever, maybe even the most arrogant driver ever.

Please refer to my statement about drivers who dance with Death....

And Eric says F1 needs Fist Fights....

I went to a fight once and a race broke out.

Please refer to my statement about drivers who dance with Death....

I went to a fight once and a race broke out.

:lol:

You are right about drivers. My post was just a case of looking at the past through rosy goggles. Darn, I hate when I do that!

How many of you out there in forum-land knew that DC and Mikey the Schu are friends? Ditto DC and JV. Alonso and He-of-the-unspellable-name get along real well as did Alonso and Trulli. Jenson and Taku are still friends. There are a great many good, funny moments out there waiting to be publicized; blame the media, not the drivers, for any lack of it.

Michael and David's friendship was cemented by their work together as chairs of the GPDA. They have had some heated exchanges over the years but also a lot of respect for each other. One story about them that i read just the other day was from DC's autobiography, "The Way It Is" (which incidentally is a good read). Apparently Michael came to David halfway through 2006 and asked him for one of David's helmets (he collects them). David duely obliged and signed one, Michael reciprocated.

In Monaco '96, DC borrowed one of Michael's lids, it was one that Michael had won a race in a few races before (probably Spain, without looking it up). At the end of the race Ron Dennis asked DC for the lid (he's also a keen collector). DC wanted to keep it but Ron was insistent and so had a replica made for David to keep. In the book he says "what Ron doesn't know and will only find out from reading this is that he (Ron) had p!ssed Michael off about something and so he (Michael) switched the lids so that DC has the real one!"

Michael and David's friendship was cemented by their work together as chairs of the GPDA. They have had some heated exchanges over the years but also a lot of respect for each other. One story about them that i read just the other day was from DC's autobiography, "The Way It Is" (which incidentally is a good read). Apparently Michael came to David halfway through 2006 and asked him for one of David's helmets (he collects them). David duely obliged and signed one, Michael reciprocated.

In Monaco '96, DC borrowed one of Michael's lids, it was one that Michael had won a race in a few races before (probably Spain, without looking it up). At the end of the race Ron Dennis asked DC for the lid (he's also a keen collector). DC wanted to keep it but Ron was insistent and so had a replica made for David to keep. In the book he says "what Ron doesn't know and will only find out from reading this is that he (Ron) had p!ssed Michael off about something and so he (Michael) switched the lids so that DC has the real one!"

I've got to get that book! Excellent post, Steve!

So, what kind of lids are we talking about again :mellow: ??

I've got to get that book! Excellent post, Steve!

I got the title wrong, it's called 'It Is What It Is'.

So, what kind of lids are we talking about again :mellow: ??

'Lid' is slang for crash helmet.

Thanks!Somehow I never heard it before :huh::lol:

Lid is also the slang for a 'hat' or, if you're going to reach back to the 70s, a few ounces of Mary Jane*. If you can, check youtube for a Sid and Marty Crofft masterpiece called 'Lidsville' which is a play on both those terms.

*marijuana

Lid is also the slang for a 'hat' or, if you're going to reach back to the 70s, a few ounces of Mary Jane*. If you can, check youtube for a Sid and Marty Crofft masterpiece called 'Lidsville' which is a play on both those terms.

*marijuana

Thanks! This means MS* and DC* were exchanging "Lids" in the paddock then :smoke::wacko::eekout: ??

* Just kidding, don't sue me B)

Thanks! This means MS* and DC* were exchanging "Lids" in the paddock then :smoke::wacko::eekout: ??

* Just kidding, don't sue me B)

Ah! I get it! So when David gave him the finger at Magny Cours it was really code for an offer of a post race joint?

More like a fat blunt.

I'm sure DC called JPM something similar sounding......?