Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boudica

A "bug" In The New Ecu?

Bugs by definition just do something different then expected by the coder. I think it is intentional too based on what I know, but I wouldn't put my house on it just yet.

Yeah that's just how I see it.

Now, now. It is unlikely this "key sequency" thingy is true. Even if McLaren wanted to hide code to get an unfair advantage, this would not be the way to do it. Let us not forget that what applies to one engine, may not apply to another.

We'll see.

I dont know if the "key sequency" really exist and thinking about the difference between driving wheels its kinda difficult to find it...the main point here is, that from the beggining Mclaren is using an electronic controller that they know very well (damn, they did it) but every other team had to reorganize all the electronic configuration (even car design) to fit it...this is a big advantage for Uncle Dennis and its team...dont know the reason, but this should be illegal, they didnt have to loose time trying to make it even work!

no, no...damn cheaters

Why is it that, to date, no major new source has picked up this story? If infact correct, it is quite something to have plastered on every news site.

Before you lot continue to defame people left right and center, perhaps at least a second source for this story should be referenced, and that reference should come from one of the larger and more respected news sites (ie itv-f1, pitpass, etc)?

I dont know if the "key sequency" really exist and thinking about the difference between driving wheels its kinda difficult to find it...the main point here is, that from the beggining Mclaren is using an electronic controller that they know very well (damn, they did it) but every other team had to reorganize all the electronic configuration (even car design) to fit it...this is a big advantage for Uncle Dennis and its team...dont know the reason, but this should be illegal, they didnt have to loose time trying to make it even work!

no, no...damn cheaters

Sure, McLaren have noone but themselves to blame for their disreputable situation... Alonso-haters aside.

However, the story as has been presented is incoherent in many ways. As mentioned, no sequence of three keys will make a graphics program paint the Monalisa, will make music program produce a symphony, will make a word processor write up the Iliad... unless it is there, embedded in the program, to begin with. Furthermore, the report says something like "unlocking an aggressive mapping" which makes no sense in the context of LC or TC. IOW, the report itself does not make sense as presented.

In regards to the advantage, it would appear so... but I remember Briatore explaining somewhere that he didn't think so because they have been playing with the device for like a year... he could be wrong, of course.

The perfect solution is to drive by wire again. Get rid of all the electronics that don't impact the engine. We're all watching this bread-and-circus called racing to see the drivers use jaw-dropping skill to control a beast of a car better than the 'other guy'. Electronics don't give you that.

The perfect solution is to drive by wire again. Get rid of all the electronics that don't impact the engine. We're all watching this bread-and-circus called racing to see the drivers use jaw-dropping skill to control a beast of a car better than the 'other guy'. Electronics don't give you that.

I think you mean, "get rid of drive by wire".

Nope we're seeing this thing called motorsport to see who can come up with a better car and better strategy to win. It's not called driver-sport, it's called motorsport, because over 115 years ago the guy with the better motor would win the race.

And mechanical linkages (only brake and partially the steering allowed) are quite dangerous in a cramped single seater vehicle.

Nope we're seeing this thing called motorsport to see who can come up with a better car and better strategy to win. It's not called driver-sport, it's called motorsport, because over 115 years ago the guy with the better motor would win the race.

And mechanical linkages (only brake and partially the steering allowed) are quite dangerous in a cramped single seater vehicle.

Motorsport....... Surely the 'sport' part figures in there somewhere DOF? It's a sport whereby the competitor drives a car competitively, whatever type of motorsport that is.

The word 'sport' (in this context) conjures up physical activity with an element of competition - usually within a rule-set, a pastime maybe. Maybe we should include the designers and other team members as sportsmen/women, but however reluctant you are to make the driver the star, the drivers are the sportsmen, star or not.

Mechanical linkages in a confined space dangerous? Formula Ford and Karting are cramped, using predominantly mechanicaly interactive controls and are dangerous, but only because of the linkages in the driver's head, not the ones on the machine.....

I've left out all forms of politics, gossip and sculduggery to stay on the motor'sport' theme. :P

Ofcourse, sport as in team sport, where someone is there to score, someone else is there to make a strategy, somebody is a backup and block, somebody is there to deceive the opposition.

Ofcourse, sport as in team sport, where someone is there to score, someone else is there to make a strategy, somebody is a backup and block, somebody is there to deceive the opposition.

Agreed DOF, apart from the last bit...... I thought it was the FIA that saw to that part ;)

FIA too, but I was talking about "the hair".

Good point DOF, and got me thinking to when was the last time we saw team mates 'towing' each other round (in qualy) at circuits like Monza, Spa etc? Mind you, with the present rev limit restrictions, there's possibly no point........

Back to the ECU, I wish they'd have allowed a boost button to make slipstreaming worthwhile - that'd be fun, a huge 'pull' on the straight (double entendre intended) into a braking area where you've no grip 'cos your aero has just gone awol :huh:

Mechanical linkages in a confined space dangerous? Formula Ford and Karting are cramped, using predominantly mechanicaly interactive controls and are dangerous, but only because of the linkages in the driver's head, not the ones on the machine.....

I've left out all forms of politics, gossip and sculduggery to stay on the motor'sport' theme. :P

To begin with they're actually a lot slower and even so there were some accidents in such series that were/can be actually worse then in F1. There was also a time in F1 when such mechanical parts/linkages would trap the driver inside the monocoque and/or cause the fuel tank(s) to leak, the end result being quite "explosive".

To begin with they're actually a lot slower and even so there were some accidents in such series that were/can be actually worse then in F1. There was also a time in F1 when such mechanical parts/linkages would trap the driver inside the monocoque and/or cause the fuel tank(s) to leak, the end result being quite "explosive".

Quite so DOF, I was a little tongue in cheek (only a bit though!) earlier - and to be honest, when I first became obsessed with the sport I was far more interested/a fan of the cars than the drivers, a complete car design-obsessed freak, and I loved every minute of it.

Then came my first job, as an apprentice that fit fuel tanks over the drivers legs and behind his arse, and in the sidepods (the only thing deformable was the driver) - then go to work on a Monday to hear a driver I had met had been badly burnt - or worse, that's when I realised these guys are a thousand times more than the sum of the parts that make the car what it is, however they look to us from the outside.

Is it the same 'bug' as when everybody says 'there's a bug going round' ?

Yup they were talking abt the W32.Yaha.K@mm virus... (aka Valentine's Virus)

why not just get rid of ecu all together and ban that also.

:o

then...they should ban the engine and ask for a team mate to push one race and drive the next one...

:P

thats not the point...F1 should be the pinnacle of Motorsports!

If they want equal cars...they should look for other series like champ car or nascar...

I think that a budget cap should do the job...give a maximum amount of money to spend and total engineering freedom...that should work.

:o

then...they should ban the engine and ask for a team mate to push one race and drive the next one...

:P

thats not the point...F1 should be the pinnacle of Motorsports!

If they want equal cars...they should look for other series like champ car or nascar...

I think that a budget cap should do the job...give a maximum amount of money to spend and total engineering freedom...that should work.

We dicussed about budget caps earlier, and why they won't be effective, as all R&D would be outsourced to shell companies to do while the main company stays within it's budget...

So now this begs the question, now that the "bug" has been found, will they remove it, or just hide it better?

I want in-car cams pointed at the McLaren drivers' steering wheels so we can see what buttons they're pushing during launch.

The 'bug' is bulls##t IMO. We've heard no sources on it, nothing since and it doesn't even make any sense unless you standardise the steering wheels. It's not like entering the Konami code... I think someone decided to make up this rumour after watching the moment in Top Gear where Clarkson rigs a Ferrari gearbox to make a more aggressive start. Either that or playing too much Sonic the Hedgehog.