Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Jv To Lose Nascar Drive????

SHORT STAY: Former Formula One champion Jacques Villeneuve's NASCAR career might be a short one.

Thursday, he lost control and crashed early in the second qualifying race -- not the start Bill Davis Racing had hoped for.

Friday night, the team announced Mike Skinner will drive the No. 27 Toyota next weekend at California Speedway. He and Johnny Benson, who finished third in Friday's trucks race, will share the ride for the immediate future.

"We know that Jacques has the talent and the desire to be in NASCAR, and are diligently working on a long-term relationship with him," team owner Bill Davis said in a statement.

Villeneuve has two Cup starts -- finishing 21st at Talladega and 41st at Phoenix last season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/racing/02/15/driver.penalties.ap/index.html

Not sure if this is some overhyped American journalism, or actually close to the truth...it does come from a very trusted sports magazine, so maybe.......he can get fired and race in Super V8's!! C'mon JV, you know you want to turn left and right :P

I can confidently confirm that unless sponsorship is found today, JV will go away. They want a driver with the "talent to qualify," to paraphrase them.

This is a good move. JV flatout sucked. Run him in ARCA like Scott Speed.

I can confidently confirm that unless sponsorship is found today, JV will go away. They want a driver with the "talent to qualify," to paraphrase them.

This is a good move. JV flatout sucked. Run him in ARCA like Scott Speed.

Could not agree more, JV sucked..........................

Never understood his desire to race in Nascar. Would rather see him competing in the DTM, ALMS, LMS and ofcourse LeMans which he will participate in once again this year. It was truly pathetic to see him in those pickup trucks.

I was rooting for JV to make a go out of it. Despite all the negative comments towards oval racing in general, there's far more than meets the eye as JV would well attest. I heard a comment today that the rookies in NASCAR just can't drive a car set up as loose (oversteer) as it needs to be in order to be competitive. I distinctly remember Jeff Gordon trashing many a car learning just this fact. It's too bad that Bill Davis racing doesn't have the resources to make it work, but hey, I would love to see JV in ARCA as they'll be racing in my hometown in the middle of April. Go, go, go (Scott) Speed racer!!!

I was rooting for JV to make a go out of it. Despite all the negative comments towards oval racing in general, there's far more than meets the eye as JV would well attest. I heard a comment today that the rookies in NASCAR just can't drive a car set up as loose (oversteer) as it needs to be in order to be competitive. I distinctly remember Jeff Gordon trashing many a car learning just this fact. It's too bad that Bill Davis racing doesn't have the resources to make it work, but hey, I would love to see JV in ARCA as they'll be racing in my hometown in the middle of April. Go, go, go (Scott) Speed racer!!!

The bold is why I'll get a divorce to get to you :lol:

Anyway, I don't think we could see JV in ARCA. JV wants too much money, hence, like all the other open wheelers, they just go straight to Cup to make money. Speed is used to making $250k/year at STR, so Red Bull ARCA is no big deal to him. You almost wonder if Speed is more commited to stock cars because he's willing to start lower and work his way up for the benefit of his career...

In the Very Very Big and Important Book of Racing, it's time to turn the last page of the chapter called 'Jacques Villeneuve'.

I was thinking the same thing. It is sad, because, like many others, I had big expectations for him since the Williams Renault era. I always blamed the car for his sub standard performances afterwards. I guess it wasn't the car. But it is hard to explain why the guy that was a wonder to behold on the Willlimas became such a mediocre driver afterwards. The fact that the FW18 was a masterpiece cannot explain alone his achievements. Or can it?

Its such a shame that he didn't dump Craig Pollock 10 years earlier because maybe just maybe he would still be in F1 today if he didn't go to BAR, and stayed at Williams and maybe Zanardi may have stayed in CART and maybe still be racing in open wheelers maybe, I know its an evil thought but I blame pollock for JV's career turning out the way it has.

But like what previous posters have said, touring cars may look nicer to see that sexy pink helmet in a car again.

But what a new low for the Former World Champion.

Does anyone suggest Grand Prix Masters?????

Or A1GP for the pride of Canada?????

If I was him, i'd stick to Le Mans, solely.

And he has a very good chance with Peugeot for that.

He's probably lost his drive at NASCAR but he'll surely find other driving opportunities.

I find this comment interesting; as I recall, JV's always been of the "loose is fast" mindset.

As a fan of his since his Atlantic days ... Son, you should'a fired Craig Pillock Pollock years ago ... But, now, it's time to hang up the boots. I think it's been so long since he's been in a competitive car that he's forgotten how to win. Maybe another run at Le Mans, but, in truth, he's pretty much out of credibility ...

And Mike can attest to how much of a JV fan I am, and how hard it is for me to say ... But it's time to retire.

(Same goes for Coulthard! Make room for some younger blood, ya ol' fart! :D )

In the Very Very Big and Important Book of Racing, it's time to turn the last page of the chapter called 'Jacques Villeneuve'.

Oh No!!!

Not you too Mike???? Am I the only one left with an ounce of hope?

Truly this must spell the end of J.V.

Well... may be there is still a bit of hope for LeMans??

Does anyone suggest Grand Prix Masters?????

Or A1GP for the pride of Canada?????

What's Grand Prix Masters?

Young talent like Wickens, Hinchcliffe, Morad, etc being developed and getting experience and noticed in Europe is a priority over some washed-up one-hit wonderboy, so I doubt he'll be in A1.

well what other potions has JV got?

No longer Formula one Bound,

Nascar FOR NOW seems no lonjger bound.

Singing career? oh maybe, he does have a bit of talent in that field.

What Jacques needs is to win for Peugeot in the Le Mans 24 hour this year.

Lets face it in his team are 4 ex/current F1 Superstars in his team and he is the headline act for that team I think, so...

From Jayski's:

Villeneuve to announce plans: Jacques Villeneuve has scheduled a press conference in Montreal on Wednesday to announce his future racing plans. Supposedly he will race at the 24 hours of Le Mans in June and could announced a Nationwide Series ride for the Canada race and a part time ARCA ride.(2-19-2008) Comment here

I wish I had a big enough lawn to justify a riding lawnmower ...

I wish I had a big enough lawn to justify a riding lawnmower ...

I know you...you'd only supercharge it and cut your lawn in the shape of the Nordschleife. Fun for you, but your wife would be....upset. ;)

Guilty as charged...

Oh hell no! He ain't taking my cousins aunts sisters nephews brothers spot on the grid...uh uh uh!!! :nono1:

Don't worry. FootyAUS has already announced he will be racing in the motorized bar stool series next year, which you can watch live on SPEEDTV in between "Jeff Hammond and Chris Myers' BBQ Party: Hot Tub Edition" and "NASCAR Pre-Race Pre-Show Pre-Show presented by DIRECTV, which if you wanna see Jeff Hammond in a hot tub in Hi-Definition, you should get because FOX monopolizes fans! YAY!"