Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piotr

So, How Good/bad Is Bmw In 2008?

Not a long post, just some questions. I spent the last 2 month trying to figure that one out, and cannot. I don't follow the conventional wisdom of "experts" (some bloggers who watch a lot of F1 and proclaim themselves experts), or even the F1 commentators. But, Some of their statements rung true. For instance, if you are really a contender, how can you languish in 14th-17th place in ANY test? How to take Alonso's comment (he is Kubica's closest friend in F1); Is he actually setting up a bid for Heidfeld's seat in 2009 or 2010?

Is BMW ready to relinquish their team place to give their drivers a chance at the podium? Why is Kubica always ahead of Heidfeld even though everybody agreed that lack of TC will benefit the German?

Are the BMW troubles from January really mostly in the past, or are they actually struggling?

The funny part is, it seems the most of the F1 community is somewaht confused as well.

Are you?

Damn that's alot of questions! On the testing side of things, I reckon they've improved, but not at a faster rate than the other teams, thus they'll still be third best, but with mid field gaining on them. Ferrari and McLaren will still own the front of the grid as most fans predict.

I'd say BMW Sauber will do great this season & hope to improve on last year but that means having to win the Constructors title!

I've been so busy watching the other teams in testing that I had rather forgotten about BMW.

They certainly didn't do too much as far as impressing on the time sheets, don't think they topped it once.

They haven't changed their livery at all and I generally think that they've stood still a bit.

NH was quite confident in a recent interview so i'll take his word that they have made reasonable ground but other teams have caught up such as Renault perhaps and especially Red Bull I think...

Should still battle for podiums but I can't see an imediate win on the cards.

I gather the problem with BMW is balance, a bit like Honda last year who couldn't sort it out at all.

Reports suggest that once they do sort it, results like last year will follow but surely it may be too late by then.

That's what I'm afraid of. Also, didn't they lose their aero team in the fall? This would explain why the development is not quite finished. Interestingly, there was an article in the Polish press stating that some teams question if their testing results were really that bad and, presumeably, vowing to remain vigilant (the other unnamed teams, that is) and watch the Beemer team very closely. I am a little bit confused about the mixed signals. At first, the drivers seemed a bit frustrated with the car, but then (as if somebody told'em to cut it out) they started to say that things may not be quite THAT bad. Kubi even stated that the first race should end all the speculations.

Oh, crap. I don't know all that much about F1 anyway, and now this...

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

I think they've lost the 3rd fastest team spot to Williams, maybe even Renault is faster. I hope they solve the problems as quick as possible.

From closely following BMW through last season I learned to ingore their habitual slow/uninspired testing/practice times, put it down to high fuel loads or testing long runs and wait for qualifying to see where they stood.

They were always one of the teams that did worse in practice than when it mattered, unlike (for example) Red Bull, where it was the reverse.

I was pretty pessimistic about their prospects for 2008 until Fernando's comment about them always running high fuel loads. I also put some faith in Nicks comments today, hes German, BMW is German (and hes not stupid enough to say anythnig that could make his bosses look stupid), if he says two-tenths, then I believe he thinks the gap is two-tenths.

My main 'concern' in the BMW camp is that Kubica's driving style seems to suit the characteristics of the F1.08 better than Nicks, Robert brushed-off having to adapt his driving in a breif comment, Nick mentioned it a few times in the context of it being an ongoing issue. Neither of them had much to say about the TC/EBS (other than Kubica saying that somehow the F1.08 was better at braking than the 07).

Personally I'd be happier with Nick being faster, Kubica has years ahead of him to lead a team, for now its Nicks turn.

Although, either way, seeing a Bimmer win a race would put a smile on my face.

From closely following BMW through last season I learned to ingore their habitual slow/uninspired testing/practice times, put it down to high fuel loads or testing long runs and wait for qualifying to see where they stood.

They were always one of the teams that did worse in practice than when it mattered, unlike (for example) Red Bull, where it was the reverse.

I was pretty pessimistic about their prospects for 2008 until Fernando's comment about them always running high fuel loads. I also put some faith in Nicks comments today, hes German, BMW is German (and hes not stupid enough to say anythnig that could make his bosses look stupid), if he says two-tenths, then I believe he thinks the gap is two-tenths.

My main 'concern' in the BMW camp is that Kubica's driving style seems to suit the characteristics of the F1.08 better than Nicks, Robert brushed-off having to adapt his driving in a breif comment, Nick mentioned it a few times in the context of it being an ongoing issue. Neither of them had much to say about the TC/EBS (other than Kubica saying that somehow the F1.08 was better at braking than the 07).

Personally I'd be happier with Nick being faster, Kubica has years ahead of him to lead a team, for now its Nicks turn.

Although, either way, seeing a Bimmer win a race would put a smile on my face.

You may have it backwards - I think the new car suits Kubi better. AND, it may be by design. Let's face it, Nick has whay, 2-3 years in F1 at best? Kubi, on the other hand, is "the future" od Sauber. I would not be suprised if the team actually built that car around him.

We'll see...

You can't just talk you r way up to the current level of Ferrari and McLaren. It feels like BMW have spent the winter doing just that. They have had a good couple of years but they are not ready to tackle the top two.

Ferrari and McLaren are where they are through steady design evolution. They are enjoying the fruits of success based on gently nurturing great cars. They understand better than any other teams how to carefully balance risk and evolution. BMW do not have this advantage. I believe they extracted the best from what they had, have started a clean sheet and will take time to understand what they have. Even then, it may not be the right direction.

They will surely go back a little before maybe coming back up. This puts them dangerously into the clutches of Renault and possibly Williams. Red Bull will also be there to take advantage on the days when they are all at sea.

I think we have Ferrari way out in front (utterly dominant I would say), then we have Mclaren ready to pick up most of the thirds and fourths, then we have Bmw Sauber third.

I think we will have a clear gap to Mclaren, but not as big as last year, but then we also have Renault snapping at the heels of Bmw Sauber, with Williams a bit behind them.

I think Red Bull are looking faster than they really are.

Despite the comments that they have lost their aero team, one or two guys dont make an army, I dont see this as a problem.

And not forgetting that the car is also pretty bullet proof, which will enable them (as last year) to pick up any scraps that the big two leave behind.