Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Fia Warns Against Working With Stepney

FIA warns against working with Stepney

By Biranit GorenSaturday, March 8th 2008, 01:39 GMT

The FIA will take no formal steps against Nigel Stepney but has warned motorsport teams from collaborating with the former Ferrari engineer until the summer of 2009.

Stepney is under police investigation in Italy, on suspicions that he gave confidential Ferrari information to rivals McLaren while he was employed at Maranello.

The affair led the FIA to exclude McLaren from the 2007 constructors' championship and fine the squad with $100 million USD.

The governing body further said its legal department would meet with Stepney and make a decision on his future in motorsport as well.

But after the meeting on Friday, the FIA said it was not in a position to officially ban Stepney from motorsport - only to recommend to teams that they consider carefully whether or not to collaborate with the Briton.

A statement released by the FIA on Friday night said: "In its investigations of last year regarding the unauthorised use of intellectual property within Formula One, the FIA heard allegations that Mr Nigel Stepney, then employed by Ferrari, had passed confidential Ferrari information to an employee of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

"Mr Stepney has admitted this allegation and apologised to the FIA, though he disputes the seriousness and extent of his involvement.

"As Mr Stepney is not a licence-holder of the FIA, no formal action may be taken against him under the International Sporting Code (though the FIA is co-operating with the Italian police, who are investigating Mr. Stepney's actions).

"As a matter of good order, the FIA recommends to its licensees that they do not professionally collaborate with Mr Stepney without conducting appropriate due diligence regarding his suitability for involvement in international motor sport.

"This recommendation stands until 1 July 2009."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source

I don't post this as a means to bring all that spying rubbish back, and all the arguments that go with it, but to say that the fact they can't ban Stepney from motorsport could lead to licenses being needed for everyone in Formula One - not just drivers.

Will any team hire Stepney? Surely they wouldn't even without the warning (even if he could be valuable to a team).

That's all folks.

Not sure what the significance of July 1st 2009 is.

30th anniversary of Sony introducing the Walkman?

146th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg?

Liv Tyler's 32nd and Pamela Anderson's 42nd birthday?

1758th anniversary of the (very) late Roman Emperor Decius' death (RIP)?

Canada Day?

And Saint Monegundis the Virgin's day?

It is also the 182nd day of the year, almost exactly half way through the year, with 183 days until the end.

My money is on the "Maxster" linking this to Pamela Anderson or Saint Monegundis :D

Either way, I hope teams will be very wary to hire him in the future.

Stepney already has a job, working for some camera company.

30th anniversary of Sony introducing the Walkman?

146th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg?

Liv Tyler's 32nd and Pamela Anderson's 42nd birthday?

1758th anniversary of the (very) late Roman Emperor Decius' death (RIP)?

Canada Day?

And Saint Monegundis the Virgin's day?

It is also the 182nd day of the year, almost exactly half way through the year, with 183 days until the end.

My money is on the "Maxster" linking this to Pamela Anderson or Saint Monegundis :D

I disagree. I see Sony running a TV advert on July 10th starring Nigel Stepney. The advert starts with Sony announcing their partnership with Toyota as title sponsor who ditch Panasonic. Stepney is appointed Technical Director, seen on his prat perch with a new high memory Sony MP3 player strapped to his ear. The voice over says "30 years ago , Sony introduced the world to the Sony Walkman. Now, we have reinvented it" The tag line of the ad'?

"Sony MegaMP3 and Nigel Stepney; You no longer have to walk, man"

Well it makes sense. I think teams should be warned. I mean, hiring Nigel Stepney as your driver could get pretty dangerous.

I disagree. I see Sony running a TV advert on July 10th starring Nigel Stepney. The advert starts with Sony announcing their partnership with Toyota as title sponsor who ditch Panasonic. Stepney is appointed Technical Director, seen on his prat perch with a new high memory Sony MP3 player strapped to his ear. The voice over says "30 years ago , Sony introduced the world to the Sony Walkman. Now, we have reinvented it" The tag line of the ad'?

"Sony MegaMP3 and Nigel Stepney; You no longer have to walk, man"

:lol: