Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Bernie Says Lights On! Or It's Lights Out For Oz

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=34058

What a prick. Can I say that here? Oh well, I'll say it again. He's a prick.

What really gets up my nose is that he obviously thinks the world is flat as he wants all races to be held when the Europeans can watch, adn that it's unfair to ask someone to watch it live at any other time than the middle of a Sunday afternoon. Wake up, Bernie...Europe is NOT the world....apparantly the US is...but besides that, what of all the Aussies, Kiwi's, Asians, South and North Americans that get up at silly hours to watch Euro races live.

You can go drop dead....you ran Brabham into the ground, and you're doing the same to F1. Obviously some deep rooted anti-Aussie issues with him...and he's not even a Kiwi...sheesh....whats the world coming to?

Yep, the US is the world, Europe is international, and the other continents don't exist.

I agree. The times suck for a lot of people in the world. Many fans **** up their whole sleep to watch this stuff, and some, like me, just don't bother to watch (but that's for other reasons, because I'm usually awake before 8 AM when it starts).

Bernie makes no sense, you know that? He's cutting all the Euro races, all the American (North and South, as in the continents), all the Australian races. Every grand prix is going to be run in the Middle East by the time Bernie's done with the sport. Oh boy, those are my favorites with those convenient time zones! Unless an Arabian oil billionaire is involved, your grand prix is not safe. End of story.

To point out the obvious, its all about money for Bernie. The Aus GP doesn't get him as much money as other races can because of tv audiences etc, so naturally he is going to take the gp wherever he will make more money. I certainly don't agree with it, I love the Aus GP and i live here in melbourne, but i guess business is business. Also i get the feeling the Victorian Government (Victoria is the State Melbourne is in) really couldn't care less if they lost the race which is a shame, but i guess its just losing them money. So yeah, it all comes down to money...

To point out the obvious, its all about money for Bernie. The Aus GP doesn't get him as much money as other races can because of tv audiences etc, so naturally he is going to take the gp wherever he will make more money. I certainly don't agree with it, I love the Aus GP and i live here in melbourne, but i guess business is business. Also i get the feeling the Victorian Government (Victoria is the State Melbourne is in) really couldn't care less if they lost the race which is a shame, but i guess its just losing them money. So yeah, it all comes down to money...

IMO even if they did put lighting around the track, Bernie would still find reasons to get rid of the Aust GP. Its a very sad day when money comes before fans. So much for being a sport. <_<

I really don't care what time a race is held. But, if the championship is exciting, I will screw my sleep to watch the race anytime. ^_^

Bloody looney. How pompous is he to suggest that European's can't possibly get up in the middle of the night to see it live. Does he know anything about real fans? What about you poor Aussies when all the European races are on? If the facilities were poor and/or the grand prix itself was a load of crap then he may be justified but this just sucks.

I love Australia, i love getting up in the night and everyone thinking i'm mad. I love seeing it all lovely and sunny when it's dark here and i love the feel of the season opener being at Melbourne.

Leave this one alone Bernie. I'd love to kick your little grey arse.

I really don't care what time a race is held. But, if the championship is exciting, I will screw my sleep to watch the race anytime. ^_^

2. Also, I still prefer the european time (that's 8-9am for me), than chinese/japanese gp time (4-5 am!)

sunday race is 1:30am here. not that bad though.

The problem with the time zones is that you can't please everyone all off the time so the most sensible solution is to leave things as they are now and have a universal start time for the race.

Absolutely.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=34058

What a prick. Can I say that here? Oh well, I'll say it again. He's a prick.

What really gets up my nose is that he obviously thinks the world is flat as he wants all races to be held when the Europeans can watch, adn that it's unfair to ask someone to watch it live at any other time than the middle of a Sunday afternoon. Wake up, Bernie...Europe is NOT the world....apparantly the US is...but besides that, what of all the Aussies, Kiwi's, Asians, South and North Americans that get up at silly hours to watch Euro races live.

You can go drop dead....you ran Brabham into the ground, and you're doing the same to F1. Obviously some deep rooted anti-Aussie issues with him...and he's not even a Kiwi...sheesh....whats the world coming to?

Agree.

IMO even if they did put lighting around the track, Bernie would still find reasons to get rid of the Aust GP. Its a very sad day when money comes before fans. So much for being a sport. <_<

Agree.

Bloody looney. How pompous is he to suggest that European's can't possibly get up in the middle of the night to see it live. Does he know anything about real fans? What about you poor Aussies when all the European races are on? If the facilities were poor and/or the grand prix itself was a load of crap then he may be justified but this just sucks.

I love Australia, i love getting up in the night and everyone thinking i'm mad. I love seeing it all lovely and sunny when it's dark here and i love the feel of the season opener being at Melbourne.

Leave this one alone Bernie. I'd love to kick your little grey arse.

Agree.

I really an fuming at the moment, and it's probably best if I just shut my mouth at the moment. But I will tell you all this if I do happen to get anywhere near the pathetic excuse for a man in Melbourne I will break the little @#$%$ jaw in six places, then he will then require it to be wired shut and then lets see what he has to say about the AGP!!!

Sorry, I did say I should keep my mouth shut didn't I.

I really an fuming at the moment, and it's probably best if I just shut my mouth at the moment. But I will tell you all this if I do happen to get anywhere near the pathetic excuse for a man in Melbourne I will break the little @#$%$ jaw in six places, then he will then require it to be wired shut and then lets see what he has to say about the AGP!!!

Sorry, I did say I should keep my mouth shut didn't I.

Let it out Nathan. Here's the place for it. And about them photos; If you do get hold of Bernie, make sure you get one of the jaw re-arrangement!

Let it out Nathan. Here's the place for it. And about them photos; If you do get hold of Bernie, make sure you get one of the jaw re-arrangement!

It would be my pleasure :ph34r:

Just a note in regards to the current theme of night racing being all the rave. The MotoGp event in Qatar finished at 11.50pm local time. Now that is a complete joke. Too bad if you wanted to take your children to the event of even had to work the following day. Oh but I forgot to mention the people in Europe enjoyed the race at a very convienient time, because they are the most important people in the world I hope you all know!!

I really should stop, I'm making a fool of myself with these rants :blush:

Oh the frustration :angry:

Err, I came to this thread to point something out, but I see, thanks to time zones, you lot have beat me too it...

:lol:

At any rate, I found this quote interesting, and no one else has quoted it, so in a blatant attempt to raise my post count, I'm going to include it and add a comment, that is in effect, a "ME too!"

"At the moment, it is ridiculous that people are asked not to sleep in order to see it live."

So, those of us on the Wrong Coast of the US don't count? Nor the people in all the countries that Bernie is trying so hard to hold races so that he can hold onto tobacco money?

"You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means..."

Bernie is trying so hard to take the racing out of Europe, but now it's vitally important that Euro fans not be disenfranchised?

Bernie: Stuff your head back where it usually resides, and step down ... Same goes for Mosley. The Max and Bernie Show is destroying F1.

</soapbox>

A lot of emotion in this thread :o , but this post sums it up for me. It's all about economics, sentiment has no place in F1 and never will - so get with the programme guys as F1 would not be the spectacle it is without Mr Ecclestone's drive and ambition.

B)

A lot of emotion in this thread :o , but this post sums it up for me. It's all about economics, sentiment has no place in F1 and never will - so get with the programme guys as F1 would not be the spectacle it is without Mr Ecclestone's drive and ambition.

You may enjoy the spectacle, but for me, all I want is a god damn race. Is there enough on-track action? No. Is there enough innovation? No. Is there enough competition? No. I personally have no reason to watch F1, so I don't. And that's just me. Many of you have passion for the sport, and kudos to you for sticking with it. I was there for 1 year in total, and that was enough for me.

Here's my idea, Bernie: if the damn races were entertaining, people would watch them at any time. If your biggest fanbase won't wake up in the middle of the night to watch your race, I think you can figure out what the problem is.

I really should stop, I'm making a fool of myself with these rants :blush:

Don't worry, what you're saying is tame compared to some of the stuff I read on an American board after the USGP got cancelled. Speaking of the USGP, they're negotiating for 2009. I was right, too: Tony George paid KK around 10-20 mil to complete the take-over of Champ Car. The same 10-20 mil he would've paid for the USGP.

You may enjoy the spectacle, but for me, all I want is a god damn race. Is there enough on-track action? No. Is there enough innovation? No. Is there enough competition? No. I personally have no reason to watch F1, so I don't. And that's just me. Many of you have passion for the sport, and kudos to you for sticking with it. I was there for 1 year in total, and that was enough for me.

Here's my idea, Bernie: if the damn races were entertaining, people would watch them at any time. If your biggest fanbase won't wake up in the middle of the night to watch your race, I think you can figure out what the problem is.

So F1 lost you as a fan but gained millions around the world so Bernie is a net winner. I've been watching F1 for over 20 years now and, although my enthusiasm has waned over the years I'm still addicted. I wont get up in the middle of the night to watch the Aussie GP because I can watch a recording of the race at a more convenient time later. If I could watch the race live without having to get up in the middle of the night I would be all for that.

Would I miss the Aussie GP? No! Is it a special GP like Monaco, Spa, Monza? No! Is the track eulogised like Suzuka, Spa, Monaco? No! The only distinguishing factor of the race is that it starts in the middle of the night. Why should the start of an F1 season be in the middle of the night for the majority of it's viewers and advertisers.

Sorry, I don't see the point of this race so cant sympathise with those that would mourn it's demise.

-_-

So F1 lost you as a fan but gained millions around the world so Bernie is a net winner. I've been watching F1 for over 20 years now and, although my enthusiasm has waned over the years I'm still addicted. I wont get up in the middle of the night to watch the Aussie GP because I can watch a recording of the race at a more convenient time later. If I could watch the race live without having to get up in the middle of the night I would be all for that.

Would I miss the Aussie GP? No! Is it a special GP like Monaco, Spa, Monza? No! Is the track eulogised like Suzuka, Spa, Monaco? No! The only distinguishing factor of the race is that it starts in the middle of the night. Why should the start of an F1 season be in the middle of the night for the majority of it's viewers and advertisers.

Sorry, I don't see the point of this race so cant sympathise with those that would mourn it's demise.

-_-

Absolutely 100% agree. The Aussie GP to me is pretty ordinary. It's only special for me because it's the season opener- were it elsewhere in the calendar I highly doubt I'd make much of an effort to watch it live.

The F1 World championship needs a race in Austalia.

Why? Is there one in Africa? Much more people leave there than Down under

Absolutely 100% agree. The Aussie GP to me is pretty ordinary. It's only special for me because it's the season opener- were it elsewhere in the calendar I highly doubt I'd make much of an effort to watch it live.

Agrees.

On the other hand, there are better ways to change the track for a better one, and I don't think Bernie's way of handling things and offending everyone helps. I don't agree with Australia needing a night race or else. Give me a good track and I'll watch it gladly at 3 a.m. midweek.