Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

Yet Another B* All Time List Of Gp Drivers.

Yeah, I know. He shouldn't be anywhere near the top 1000, let alone top 100.

No, really, 11th is too low for him. He should be, in theory, number one. But these lists are all stupid. Even if they were as accurate as possible. Who cares? In the end, the results do the talking in sports. You'll never be remembered if you were good enough. You'll be remembered if you were great. Wasted potential, forget that. No one will remember Scott Speed or Tonio Liuzzi years from now. No, they'll remember the drivers who won. No matter what, they will remember the winners. Are they the best on the grid? How could we answer a question like that and determine the answer? We can't. The winners win, the losers lose. If you can't win, I don't care how good you were, you never got the results. You never got the desired goal you came here for, to be a champion, and that, in the end, means you failed, and are not great. To do that, to be a champion, many times, that is greatness, and in that sense, based on pure statistics, as I feel this should be, shows that Michael Schumacher, as much as I do not like him, is the best F1 driver to race. I don't care what arguments you make against that, because I'm not going to change my point of view. Schumacher had more determination if he kept pressing on to win 7, and even in his relatively old age (compared to the competition, at least), even after doing everything there has to be done and more, fought on in 2006 to try to get another. Say whatever you want about his wins, his championships, but in the end, it all comes back to him being the best grand prix driver. End of.

Spot on!

:clap3:

It's strange how some people feel the need to get their little anally retentive lives in order by having to make lists.

Its an interesting point and:

1) I agree

2) I hate and detest web-polls even more than lists

4) Where's 3?

3) Ah there it is :)

Did Henry tell us why he listed them as he did? Maybe he has a good reason. Personally, I don't think it's possible to accurately list these past the top 15. Past 15 you just plug in the names based on gut feel. Past 50 and you're bored stiff (or limp) with the whole exercise and simply drop names in willy-nilly.

A few years back F1 Racing asked a panel of former drivers, team principals, journos and such for their lists and they averaged them out to get a pretty good sampling of such a subjective list as '100 best drivers'. That's the list I agree with more than Henry's list.

The difference between these two lists is that the racers like Rosemeyer were not included in the list because they were not world championship drivers.

1) I agree

4) Where's 3?

:lol:

1) I agree

4) Where's 3?

Kyle Busch rules em all. Such car control and driving style is something that was seen at Gilles Villeneuve, Tazio Nuvolari and Bernd Rosemeyer.

What's he doing in NASCAR ?!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That was the funniest thing I ever read in my entire life. Kyle Busch may be good, but the best ever? Not even close to the top 10.

I don't get why you're all making such a fuss about this list. It;s only somebody's opinion and it doesn't really matter what it is based on. All time greatest lists like that can't be taken dead seriously cause there isn't a simple way to measure. In fact there's such possibility but only for modern era drivers and to do that some would have to analize very detailed telemetry over a significant period of time - then it would be possible to compare some drivers.

My point is that this is actually impossible cause no one will ever have unlimited access to necessary data. As for the oldschool ones...Many people say that they were better but I'm not so sure. If we take a quick look over the evolution of sports in general through the last century it all gets bigger and better - competition, training and diet routines etc etc. It's the same for racing drivers. Generation by generation they've been evolving along with the evolution of motorsport itself so there's no point and possibility to really compare and decide if for example Moss was better than Schumacher or even if Fangio was better than Carraciola. They were competing in very different worlds and we'll never know what would've happened if their birthdates were switched.

Instead of making such pointless rankings I'd just put them all in one Hall of Fame (and then put the guy who won Le Mans 24 h while being drunk as hell above them all cause what he did is really extraordinary :} )

Err. Yes. We know that. Or most us do, at least.

But it does pass the time in pointless argument. So it served a purpose of sorts.

I agree with the "lists are stupid" argument.

I agree with the "his list does not necessarily must match yours" argument.

But this list was specially stupid, because...well...it IS stupid. We can make a list of the top 100 sexiest women. Some of us will say Cameron Diaz is #1, others with a lamer taste might chose Nicole Kidman, or Scarlett Johanson or whatever. But if somebody, which is considered a "women's expert" choses Navratilova, then he certainly could expect to be labeled as stupid by everybody.

This is the case.

But this list was specially stupid, because...well...it IS stupid. We can make a list of the top 100 sexiest women. Some of us will say Cameron Diaz is #1, others with a lamer taste might chose Nicole Kidman, or Scarlett Johanson or whatever. But if somebody, which is considered a "women's expert" choses Navratilova, then he certainly could expect to be labeled as stupid by everybody.

This is the case.

Indeed....................

I don't get why you're all making such a fuss about this list. It;s only somebody's opinion and it doesn't really matter what it is based on. All time greatest lists like that can't be taken dead seriously cause there isn't a simple way to measure. In fact there's such possibility but only for modern era drivers and to do that some would have to analize very detailed telemetry over a significant period of time - then it would be possible to compare some drivers.

My point is that this is actually impossible cause no one will ever have unlimited access to necessary data. As for the oldschool ones...Many people say that they were better but I'm not so sure. If we take a quick look over the evolution of sports in general through the last century it all gets bigger and better - competition, training and diet routines etc etc. It's the same for racing drivers. Generation by generation they've been evolving along with the evolution of motorsport itself so there's no point and possibility to really compare and decide if for example Moss was better than Schumacher or even if Fangio was better than Carraciola. They were competing in very different worlds and we'll never know what would've happened if their birthdates were switched.

Instead of making such pointless rankings I'd just put them all in one Hall of Fame (and then put the guy who won Le Mans 24 h while being drunk as hell above them all cause what he did is really extraordinary :} )

I've been reading AH for many years now and rated him one of the most knowledgeable F1hacks out there. This list has made me question my judgement

;)

This is the case.

:roll:

The only thing I have to ask - what is this mythical being, a "woman's expert" I think you called it, that you speak of?

This is the case.

Scarlett Johansson

:wub:

This is the case.

So i'm the only one who finds Navratilova sexy as hell? Those glasses......the manly walk.....just so hot.

So, is there a list out there that has universal approval as being unquestionable?

Err. Yes. We know that. Or most us do, at least.

But it does pass the time in pointless argument. So it served a purpose of sorts.

So i'm the only one who finds Navratilova sexy as hell? Those glasses......the manly walk.....just so hot.

So, is there a list out there that has universal approval as being unquestionable?

The cheating rules? Or should I say the 'it's not cheating if............' rules.

navratilova has got much more testosterone than all pf us put together...if sb like her he's certainly blind or gay