Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crackerz

Aussie F1gp Up The (eastern) Creek?

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3294175,00.html

WOW!! What a surprise! Sydney has siad it will upgrade the Eastern Creek circuit if it means the Australian F1 grand Prix is moved to New South Wales. I'm not so sure that the circuit is suited to F1 and it would have to be a MAJOR upgrade but hopefully it means we may get to keep the Aussie GP (even if it is in New South Wales). Fingers crossed for some light on the horizon... and tens of millions of dollars to upgrade the track.

Thoughts anyone?

ADMIN - Can you please delete this topic post. Sorry about the double-post but i'm sufferring from bad lag.

Ahhh, now this is good news!!!

I don't see why it can't be done to be truthful.

The track is already there, sure it can be altered.

Lighting at a fixed racing track is going to be easier and a one off cost to the infrastructure.

Its in the middle of no where, around industrial estates, so who is going to care about the noise.

Blacktown isn't that far away, so there is a chance of actually trying to develop a better transport system with trains, which, it located correctly, could service the exsist tentants out there and maybe even get more people to A1GP, V8, etc, etc events.

I seriously don't think its as big as a pipe dream as everyone is making out. At least Bernie hasn't could out straight away and dismissed it.

Since Bathurst is impossible, and Surfer's renewed with the IRL through 2013, this is probably Australia's only chance.

What is the track currently like?

The track was originally designed for the Australian 500cc Moto GP.

Seriously, Turn One at the Creek could become as well known as the "Bus Stop" at Spa, its the fastest corner in the Southern Hemisphere, and Top 5 or something in the World.

The V8's Arrive at the corner at 295kph.... One could only speculate what an F1 car would Arrive at. Couple of good hairpins, and a tough mid section of mid speed tech corners.

It would need a resurface and reviso over some of the track... But since I believe A1GP is FIA Spec 2 Tracks, it can't be "that far" off FIA Spec 1 for F1.

What it will need is Landscaping, and general clean ups too make it attractive.

^

Yes, a very nice fast corner, I remember a driver in A1GP putting an awesome move around the outside at that turn, I forget the name though.

i do not know the reason to run a night race. it is easier just to run at ten am in australia, so in europe it will be 00:00 andin england sat 23:00 pm ,being afternoon in america, very reasonable hour everywhere in the world.

I think night races sucks. what about it is rainng in the night?

i do not know the reason to run a night race. it is easier just to run at ten am in australia, so in europe it will be 00:00 andin england sat 23:00 pm ,being afternoon in america, very reasonable hour everywhere in the world.

I think night races sucks. what about it is rainng in the night?

Makes the race even better...

Indeed.

Not like it's much different than racing in the rain in the day. It's not exactly bright outside when it's raining usually. Ever drive a road car at night under street lights while it was raining? I have. Not sure what your getting at in terms of difficulty and visibility, but I don't find it to be any factor at all.

Eastern Creek is a good track, know it from ToCA Race Driver 3, very wide & long straight, 1st corner should be a tricky corner as it's a very fast corner.

Indeed.

Not like it's much different than racing in the rain in the day. It's not exactly bright outside when it's raining usually. Ever drive a road car at night under street lights while it was raining? I have. Not sure what your getting at in terms of difficulty and visibility, but I don't find it to be any factor at all.

but it is not the same driving in your car that a 200 mph with a cloud of water spreaded by the car ahead and with the rain drops falling in your helmet. and all these water reflecting the multiple artificial lights.

Heres a link to the circuit layout for those interested. Man I'd love to have the GP in Sydney. For selfish reason of course :D

No comment at this stage ( I have a 30 minute net card) - But I would prefer the race to stay in Melbourne. I'll say that much.

As much as i like Eastern Creek (i was there last weekend for the V8 Supercars) the track is too small for Formula 1 as a V8 Supercar can do a lap of around 1 minute 32 seconds which means a F1 car could probably do it in 1 minute 5 seconds which is just too small.

:thbup:

As much as i like Eastern Creek (i was there last weekend for the V8 Supercars) the track is too small for Formula 1 as a V8 Supercar can do a lap of around 1 minute 32 seconds which means a F1 car could probably do it in 1 minute 5 seconds which is just too small.

Ah, true, I forgot how short the track is. Hmm maybe they could make it bigger, add a few twists and turns...?

It would be better if they had a street circuit in Homebush TBH.

I would Hate it if the F1 circuit got demoted to the cheap surroundings of Eastern Creek.

They need a huge safety upgrade.

and I think that Eastern Creek is just passable when it comes to size anyways.