Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rotaryboy

legends of f1

fangio, mansell, senna, ...... there is no doubt their names will always have some legendary status , example mansel still holds many lap records even today. what about fangio setting the lap record 11 times in a race (maybe the 1st lap was really slow)

senna was cut down in his prime so he can never be beaten. he is the jimi hendrix of f1. in the past there has been some titanic battles between drivers. often coming to blows even. good stuff. like nascars.

now ms undoubtedly is the man of the moment, and soon will have more wins more poles more championships than any other driver. he is my fav driver, but despite this there is a dearth of competition and this will surely dog his greatness.

sadly for ms no matter how many titles he eventually ends up with there is really no serious challengers at present and so we will always wonder just how good he is.

Yeah, it is a shame that we dont have a yard stick to guage Schuey by in this era, although I am quite sure he would still be on top, he is a man in his own league.

One other thing that will dog his greatness are the few instances where through a lapse or whatever, he tried to ram opponents off the track (Hill and Villeneuve).

Its a shame we never really saw Senna (RIP) and Schuey go toe to toe :(

Maybe there is no real gauge for ms in the formula 1 right now, but what if you look at what he did with ferrari? in 1995, ferrari had i think if i remember right (i was very young that year!) one win, and in 1996 with ms there were already 3 wins plus the third place in the WDC which the Williams dominated back then. in 1997 ms had a real chance to win the title! Since then, ms fought every year (except 99 where he broke his leg) for the championship till the last race but has never had the best car. in 96,97 and 98 he was beat by drivers only with faster more reliable cars. i would say that ms would have won the 99 WDC if he wouldn't have broke his leg.

And what has happened to Benetton since MS left? Benetton is not one of the top teams anymore.

I think that MS is also one of the greatest and should be remembered with names such as Fangio, Prost, and Senna.

P.S. i would have loved to see MS and senna fight for the 94 and following WDC, too!

Senna was great no doubt about it but i also think that MS has earned his place near the legends of F1!Ferrari owe him a lot!

What i was just wondering is how long will MS stay in the formula 1 circuit? I mean what is his goal? Does he wanna break all the records, he got the overall points, almost the wins, which he will i strongly believe break this year, too, and he might even win his fourth title this year :)  What else does he want. Do you think he will stay until he breaks Fangio's record of 5 WDC's and get 6 or do you think he will quit when his younger brother starts beating him big time? This could happen already next year and i don't know how Michael would handle it.

Let's just hope MS will stay for several years.

Racing is his life tho it's important to know when to quit! I think MS after retiring will still be in F1! What do ya think??

You've yet to explain about this whole yardstick thing, but Schumi has said that he'll be racing in F1 and in general as long as he has fun doing it - you can tell by how happy he still gets after 50 wins that he loves the driving

He'll race as long as he has fun doin it, huh? What if he dies first? I'd say he would still be driving with 80 if he's allowed to!!   :)

I don't think he would - the enjoyment forms your motivation - if you aren't completely happy in your car, you lose pace - look at Mika Hakkinen and Damon Hill...they enjoy driving, but F1 racing has baggage

The yardstick thing is always a problem no matter which sport you are talking about.

I think you can only compare them to the opposition eg.

In cricket Bradman had Larwood & the bodyline attack to contend with.

Fangio had Moss (the best driver never.....).

Senna, Prost

well no one really knows if he will be the best. he is great driver but i am so so sad he cant really show it. maybe one day.

i would like to see him clean up the big 6 of fangio we need a more up to date great.

i am not michael schu but after what is it 10 years??? wouldnt you want to spent more time enjoying life with your family than on the road all the time with a race team. i would say he will be around for a while yet. or i hope he will. he will be missed.

personally, I couldnt think of any thing worse that schuey going on and beating fangio's record. :(

I really hope one of the new breed of F1 stars goes on to greatness.  I think in a few years time, once all the 'oldies' retire and the current rookies or little expericned drivers get into decent cars we will be so spoilt.

I cant wait to see Raikkonen and Button in decent cars going at it and with webber and yoong and others in the wings, things should be very sweet indeed!

Jaggy

Have to disagree about Button.

He is not & will never be a "great".

Like poor HHF he is good but not good enough.

As for MS taking Fangois record. I think it will be a pity but I also think it is inevitable.

The sport needs more recent hero/villains to let fans who are new to the sport have someone contemporary to relate to.

Fangio will always be the "greatest" regardless of who scores more WDC's etc. It's a charisma lost in the mists of time thing.