Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed up

Poll: Robert Kubica

Is he overrated   

65 members have voted

1. 1. You decide

• Yes, fast over one lap but no race pace
    • No, he will be the first Polish WDC
    • The jury is still out

I know Piotr loves this guy, but I'm not sure he has what it takes to excel in F1. I think he is fast, like Piquet is fast, I just don't think he is race savvy or is able to sustain the level of concentration needed to perform at the highest level.

I think it's only a matter of time before Seb is recalled to the BMW team to take his place.

B)

I know Piotr loves this guy, but I'm not sure he has what it takes to excel in F1. I think he is fast, like Piquet is fast, I just don't think he is race savvy or is able to sustain the level of concentration needed to perform at the highest level.

I think it's only a matter of time before Seb is recalled to the BMW team to take his place.

B)

http://totalf1.com/fullstory/view/249018/A...er_race_report/

Todays performance does not have anything to do with his race pace. It was the pit strategy that cost him a podium. Kubi is simply a class ahead of Piquet. Just like last season, Kubi was unlucky. Good drive from Nick though.

Kubica did an awesome job up until his pit, so im going for him been a great driver, not sure about WDC but he *seems* to have the ability, so far...

If luck determines what kind of a driver you are, then no, he doesn't have it. I think that a combination of of his bad luck, a new chief engineer, his relative inexperience, and the fact that Mario seems to experiment with unusual tactics only with Kubi's car are all against him. However, I do believe that he has to get to the podium this year, or his ability to do so in the future will be diminished.

BTW, what place was he in when Nakajima did his inexperienced kamikaze attack (second that race)?

If luck determines what kind of a driver you are, then no, he doesn't have it. I think that a combination of of his bad luck, a new chief engineer, his relative inexperience, and the fact that Mario seems to experiment with unusual tactics only with Kubi's car are all against him. However, I do believe that he has to get to the podium this year, or his ability to do so in the future will be diminished.

BTW, what place was he in when Nakajima did his inexperienced kamikaze attack (second that race)?

The impression I got was that he just wasn't quick enough today. He had similar fuel loads to Lewis (give or take a lap or so) but didn't have the pace to maximsie his position and effectively lost out at his first pitstop. He pace should have mirrored that of Kovy, but ended up miles behind after both had made their first stops. The impression I get is that he is not quick enough and the team are forced to adopt strategies to compensate for his inconsistency.

When all is said and done pit strategies even themselves out of a race distance and the best drivers make the most of their given strategy. Kubica always seems to be a victim of a strategy rather than beneficiary and I think that is down to him and not bad luck.

u love this kamikaze attack thing, don't ya? well, if kubi can't handle actually racing with some other people on track, I'm sure we can contribute each with one euro and rent him a kart track so he can keep on going round in circle with no further problems :)

Seems like McLarens were just too fast over long stint. Kubica was doing really good over his first stint and he was consistent apart from 1 lap but nothing more than P3 was available for him if the race went normally - McLarens were flying and would get 1-2.

Then it was rather lottery when some benefit and some lose. This strategy he had could pay off but it just didn't in those circumstances - driving with heavy car stuck behind somebody with someone else pressuring from behind on the track that hot with soft tires isn't that easy. I guess only ferrari can manage really long stints with soft tires, bmw's are better with the harder compounds - Kubica lost his white tire stripes almost twice as fast as Raikkonen did. In the end it could've been reasonably good if it wasn't for Nakajima.

btw. Fed up - what's your point anyway? If you think Kubica's too weak - talk to Theissen about that - maybe he'll hire you instead :}

Piotr - he was in P5 behind Bourdais before the accident.

The jury is still out.................... <_<

Seems like McLarens were just too fast over long stint. Kubica was doing really good over his first stint and he was consistent apart from 1 lap but nothing more than P3 was available for him if the race went normally - McLarens were flying and would get 1-2.

Then it was rather lottery when some benefit and some lose. This strategy he had could pay off but it just didn't in those circumstances - driving with heavy car stuck behind somebody with someone else pressuring from behind on the track that hot with soft tires isn't that easy. I guess only ferrari can manage really long stints with soft tires, bmw's are better with the harder compounds - Kubica lost his white tire stripes almost twice as fast as Raikkonen did. In the end it could've been reasonably good if it wasn't for Nakajima.

btw. Fed up - what's your point anyway? If you think Kubica's too weak - talk to Theissen about that - maybe he'll hire you instead :}

That's a bit confrontational mate - I'm of the opinion the guy is overrated and simply invited opinions for debate. This is a forum to debate issues relating to F1, one doesn't have to have a 'point' so to speak.

The main issue I have with Kubica is the adulation that he attracts from the F1 fraternity for his apparent star status. He was lauded as the next best thing and JV summarily dismissed (not a bad thing) to make room for this new star.

Nick Heidfeld is never given credit for thrashing him over a full season, instead excuses are given about poor strategy and bad luck. Why dont ppl give Nick the credit he is due? He owned Kimi but was overlooked for the Mclaren drive and now he has owned Kubi but still doesn't get the credit.

This is 'point'

;)

None of the options.He's good,but I can't see him winning a championship...he's very unlucky...although the same was said for Raikkonen...

I think you also have to consider that the BMW is not as fast as the Meclaren. BMW did manage to probably gain 3 tenths of a second but that still leaves them 2 tenths of a second behind meclaren and Ferrari

Well, as we all know to win a championship you first must be in a car capable of it. Kubeetza has that car this season, it would seem. He has the speed and he has the stamina to operate at a high level over a whole season. The trouble is, so does Nick. Kubeetza's edge is raw speed. Nick's edge is experience.

Unfortunately, two things will prevent Kubeetza from taking his championship at BMW. The first is Nick. I say Ickle Nicky's experience will pay more dividends than Kubeetza's speed. The second is the German Connection. The team will favor Nick in any championship bid, I think.

Kubeetza needs to do what Alonso did when faces with a Renault team that favored Fisico. Drive the wheels off the car and make no mistakes. That won Alonso a championship and it will win Kubeetza one as well.

One final thought: Hamilton rates Kubeetza highly. That's enough for me.

Kubica got screwed by the safety car, he had to pit on lap 28 while it was out, that (aside from Nakajima who Robert shouldnt have been near) is the only reason he didnt get a podium.

The safety car also badly disadvantaged Alonso and Kovi, with them having to pit and lose position (Alonso twice for that matter) while Hamilton, Nick and Nico were ok.

The podium was pretty much decided by the SC, thats the way it goes, bad luck for some, good for others. If it had never been out it would have been a McLaren 1-2 with Kubica 3rd.

You cant question his racecraft because of a matter of chance...After all, he did manage to get the 3rd fastest car into 2nd on the grid and he didnt struggle much to stay in front of Kovi (till the pitstops).

If there's ever gonna be a Polish WDC, it'll be Kubica as I can see him winning it in years to come, maybe McLaren might take an interest in him or myabe BMW can make major improvements to the car & make it beat McLaren & Ferrari.

That's a bit confrontational mate - I'm of the opinion the guy is overrated and simply invited opinions for debate. This is a forum to debate issues relating to F1, one doesn't have to have a 'point' so to speak.

The main issue I have with Kubica is the adulation that he attracts from the F1 fraternity for his apparent star status. He was lauded as the next best thing and JV summarily dismissed (not a bad thing) to make room for this new star.

Nick Heidfeld is never given credit for thrashing him over a full season, instead excuses are given about poor strategy and bad luck. Why dont ppl give Nick the credit he is due? He owned Kimi but was overlooked for the Mclaren drive and now he has owned Kubi but still doesn't get the credit.

This is 'point'

;)

Well to be honest it seems like you just don't like the guy:D

Despite being his countryman I'm not a big fan of Kubica. You can't ignore the fact that he's very good cause :

- he got his place in f1 without bringing any money for the team

- bmw gives him credit and they know best what is really going on

- he showed many times that he can race well

As for the excuses of bad luck & strategy - it's true that most so called "f1 fans" especially in Poland are coming up with stupid "german conspiracy theories" but we can ignore them cause they know really nothing about f1 - they're all part time fans.

I sometimes bet money on F1, but I bet only qualifying. Why? Today's race is the perfect reason. I've done my little bit of racing and also I'm an engineer (almost) so I know that motorsport in general is really complex and there are ups and downs.

In F1 there is thousand things that have influence on the final outcome and those things can go either wrong or right.

Last year we had perfect example that even if a driver is miles faster than his teammate he can trail to him in championship (for part of the season at least) - I'm talking about Rosberg and Wurz.

Considering Kubica vs Heidfeld - I told it once and I sustain that opinion, that there's really nothing much between them. Both are very good but in different ways. Kubica drives more agressive and he's a bit faster - he's more fighter type, Heidfeld is smoother and not as spectacular but as it turns out very effective. As for the last season - I wouldn't call it "trashing" cause when all was working well they were head to head. I think the reason that people don't give as much credit to Heidfeld despite his overall win is that he was the man to beat cause he's much more experienced and many consider that his win over Kubica would be by a very tiny margin if it wasn't for the pole's bad luck or he would even lose - I think many consider Heidfeld being more a craftman than artist at the wheel. Kubica was quite unlucky last season but he has got much to come and much to learn. As for Heidfeld it may turn out at the end (considering his whole career) that he was way more unlucky than Kubica cause he's not that young and despite being capable of it he may not reach the top at all.

So to sum it up - imo Kubica is not overrated, but Heidfeld is a little bit underrated.

Despite being his countryman I'm not a big fan of Kubica. You can't ignore the fact that he's very good cause :

As for the excuses of bad luck & strategy - it's true that most so called "f1 fans" especially in Poland are coming up with stupid "german conspiracy theories" but we can ignore them cause they know really nothing about f1 - they're all part time fans.

I sometimes bet money on F1, but I bet only qualifying. Why? Today's race is the perfect reason. I've done my little bit of racing and also I'm an engineer (almost) so I know that motorsport in general is really complex and there are ups and downs.

In F1 there is thousand things that have influence on the final outcome and those things can go either wrong or right.

Last year we had perfect example that even if a driver is miles faster than his teammate he can trail to him in championship (for part of the season at least) - I'm talking about Rosberg and Wurz.

Considering Kubica vs Heidfeld - I told it once and I sustain that opinion, that there's really nothing much between them. Both are very good but in different ways. Kubica drives more agressive and he's a bit faster - he's more fighter type, Heidfeld is smoother and not as spectacular but as it turns out very effective. As for the last season - I wouldn't call it "trashing" cause when all was working well they were head to head. I think the reason that people don't give as much credit to Heidfeld despite his overall win is that he was the man to beat cause he's much more experienced and many consider that his win over Kubica would be by a very tiny margin if it wasn't for the pole's bad luck or he would even lose - I think many consider Heidfeld being more a craftman than artist at the wheel. Kubica was quite unlucky last season but he has got much to come and much to learn. As for Heidfeld it may turn out at the end (considering his whole career) that he was way more unlucky than Kubica cause he's not that young and despite being capable of it he may not reach the top at all.

So to sum it up - imo Kubica is not overrated, but Heidfeld is a little bit underrated.

I don't see your point. Many here already rate Heidfeld over Kubica.

u love this kamikaze attack thing, don't ya? well, if kubi can't handle actually racing with some other people on track, I'm sure we can contribute each with one euro and rent him a kart track so he can keep on going round in circle with no further problems :)

.... and speaking about baseless, immature, and contributing absolutely nothing remarks....

yes, I just saw the whole thing. His explanation makes perfect sense and I think you captured it pretty well. The race was shambles, and now F1 says"this is not what we intended" with the TC ban. Well, the drivers and fans expected it, so you had too.

no, Kubica was not as quick, but the podium was a possibility (probably behind Heidfeld) with different fuel strategy. He was 4th before his second stop, with Raikkonen still without one.

Agreed with the above. Also, I'm not sure if BMW's German mentality (slow and steady) fits Kubica's (fast, furious, all-or-nothing). Ferrari would likely be a better fit. Also, Alonso has a lot of good stuff to say about Robert.

.... and speaking about baseless, immature, and contributing absolutely nothing remarks....

I'm learning a lot from you. Also, I contribute with 1 euro to the cause :)

I've seen drivers perform much worse, and still get praise. I've seen drivers perform better, though.

He is a great driver. To predict who is gonna be the next WDC is a joke, I asume. Is he WDC material? On a Macca or a Ferrari? Sure. That doesn't say much, though.

He is a worthy addition to the grid, and that's the best you can say for a driver. And he's a lot more fun to watch than Nick, even if Nick gets the points while Bob does the crash testing.

I'm learning a lot from you. Also, I contribute with 1 euro to the cause :)

At least I support my statements with facts. Your statements are at a level of a high school cheerleader.

hahahahahaaha since when your imagination is a fact? sorry if im down to earth enough to understand drivers can and may have (hi, can i give u murphy's theory?) problems during race, and that's just not bcause all world is conspiring against you because you're polish.