Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed up

Poll: Robert Kubica

Is he overrated   

65 members have voted

1. 1. You decide

• Yes, fast over one lap but no race pace
    • No, he will be the first Polish WDC
    • The jury is still out

Eh??? If you would like to point me in the direction of any proper motorsport event that has not had drivers contesting it, then please do so :lol:

:lol:

:lol: It's an entertaining discussion. At least DOF is consistent and admits he doesn't care about the drivers. As long as we have teams developing their own cars there will always be a conflict between technological freedom and the importance of driver skill. You all know my view on the matter: since the only truly remarkable people in F1 are the drivers, we should make F1 focussed on them. If anyone really cares about technology there are far better places to look already, like Scientific American.

Who says the drivers are remarkable? Not me.

It isn't called motor-with-chassis-and-four-wheels-and-a-gearbox-port now you mention it.

They are b#####dizing the sport!

Who says the drivers are remarkable? Not me.

:lol: I think they are. Certainly more remarkable than the technology or engineers and scientists in F1. F1 drivers are fitter, more talented, more dedicated etc than the vast majority of racing drivers. Perhaps the very top bike riders and rally drivers are comparable (though personally I doubt it), but by definition they are remarkable too. There's nothing remarkable about the technology in F1 - most of it was invented elsewhere. There's nothing remarkable about the people working in F1 - most universities have more talented people.

I can think of many regular posters on this forum who are probably capable of doing design work in F1, including yourself if you'd done science instead. I can't think of many who could out-drive Schumacher.

What I meant, and you cleverly detected it, was that F1 drivers are no more remarkable than WRC drivers, for example. Ever notice how close a rally driver gets to an F1 driver's lap time, in a very short time. And how far off a rally driver's split time an F1 driver is. The higher the number of talented drivers, the less remarkable they become.

I don't completely agree with your last paragraph. Being capable of something doesn't necessarily mean you'll be any good at it.

I can't think of many who could out-drive Schumacher.

I can.

I just don't feel like doing so at the moment.

What I meant, and you cleverly detected it, was that F1 drivers are no more remarkable than WRC drivers, for example. Ever notice how close a rally driver gets to an F1 driver's lap time, in a very short time. And how far off a rally driver's split time an F1 driver is. The higher the number of talented drivers, the less remarkable they become.

I don't completely agree with your last paragraph. Being capable of something doesn't necessarily mean you'll be any good at it.

Yeah I'd certainly grant that the top WRC drivers are very talented too. But compared to the number of people who race cars professionally, both groups of people are remarkable. The engineers/scientists in F1 aren't remarkable compared to scientists and engineers in other fields, imho.

Innovation in F1 (such as it exists at all) isn't that different to innovation in other areas of engineering and science. If you are good at it in one field, you would probably have been quite good at it in another field. The days are long gone when cars were designed by lone eccentrics tinkering around. Nowadays it's all part of a logical process based on sound science, just as most other forms of engineering.

I can.

I just don't feel like doing so at the moment.

As in you can outdrive Schumi, or can think of people who can?? :lol:

Yes that was a Monza-esque post from Andres!

Except that in the Leob Kovalainen swap last year, Kova was closer to Leob time than Loeb was to Kova's. And F1 drivers bested rally drivers at ROC races.

and that brings us back again to Kubica. He competed in some rallies in Poland - in not so good car which he was driving for the first time he was extremally good - very close to the leaders who knows those rallies so well they could be driving with closed eyes.

MOTORsport is about developing a car to go as fast as possible inside a given set of rules...a FORMULA.

Knick-knacks, cup-holders, air-bags, 4WS, 10-CD changers etc etc is for production car companies to innovate and improve on to one up their competition so as to sell more cars to the masses.

DOF, you gotta get off the "better in the past thing". No, really. It's a broken record already. Enjoy the fact that the engineers somehow managed to make an engine survive at 19,000RPM for 14-or so hours running (Practice, Quals, and Races), and that the rest of the components stand up pretty well too. You say you are into the technological side of things...well, there it freaking is. Go and try making your 1986 Honda Civic sit at 19,000rpm for 14-hours, film it and stick it on YouTube - it'll be one funny explosion.

You believe in too many things :)

Yup, like reality...

Simple solution, ban the drivers and let the computers/remote controlers drive the cars.

We all know that production cars have more and more electronics, that some even park themselves, and the next big step forward is the car that will just be programed to get from point A to point B all by itself. F1 can once again be relevant and pioneer the technologies of the future.

If that's the next step forward so be it.

Relevance, innovation, pioneering, outrageous performance, what else could ask for ?!

BTW I'm not a driver worshiper, I'm a technology/car/team fan, witch is to say I'm a Grand Prix Racing fan.

Nah, better yet have them race on a virtual circuit - like a big arcade.

Yup, like reality...

let me tell u something. will break yr heart but... i need to. theres NO such thing as easter bunny. at all. sorry.

let me tell u something. will break yr heart but... i need to. theres NO such thing as easter bunny. at all. sorry.

That's not true! You are lying!!! Liar!!!!!! Somebody tell her to stop it!!!!

If I ever got a switch on my car that let me programme it to go from A to B, that switch would have a swift visit from a hammer.

Except that in the Leob Kovalainen swap last year, Kova was closer to Leob time than Loeb was to Kova's. And F1 drivers bested rally drivers at ROC races.

Point is, there's not much between them. Making F1 drivers less "remarkable" (copyright Murray Walker).

If I ever got a switch on my car that let me programme it to go from A to B, that switch would have a swift visit from a hammer.

And rightly so.

Nah, better yet have them race on a virtual circuit - like a big arcade.

Nope, I don't want no stinking video game or Playstation I want innovative superfast machines for the future and for racing. The future of cars is electronics and I don't give a damn how they drived in the 1950s.

That's not true! You are lying!!! Liar!!!!!! Somebody tell her to stop it!!!!

While we are telling the truth on;ly, there is no Tooth Fairy either.... Now take those dirty teeth from under the pillow....They smell/look bad...

Than why do you insist in believing in Santa and miracles? Nick wil never ever be WDC. Not in this reality. IN a parallel universe, maybe...

Paralel universe? Are you on drugs?

Also, was a great attempt for april fools! I almost believed u had vanished!!!