Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Paddock Edition-melbourne

Paddock Life - Melbourne edition

By Jonathan Noble

Amid all the hoo-haa over the future of the Australian Grand Prix, there is little doubt for most of the Formula One fraternity that Melbourne is the absolute perfect place to start the season.

It may be a bit of a trek to the other side of the world, but when the pre-season media events are talking places on the beach in glorious sunshine, rather than a cold transporter at Silverstone, you can see why everyone loves it so much.

This year, it was the turn of McLaren title sponsor Vodafone to kick start proceedings with an appearance for Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen at Williamstown Beach, a little way out from downtown Melbourne.

On a pretty blustery day, the McLaren duo were put up against local sporting stars Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup from V8 Supercars, and Luke Power and Adam Simpson from the Australian Football League, in a beach kayak race.

Putting that many sporting heroes together in one place was always like to turn the fun event into something serious - so it was no surprise to see Kovalainen grab his opportunity to put one over his new teammate as he tore off into the distance away from the start line.

However, just as luck deserted him on Sunday afternoon in the race with bad timing on the safety car and then accidentally hitting his pitlane speed limiter, so Kovalainen had misfortune this time out too.

He took the wrong route at the turnaround point, going outside a big marker buoy rather than inside it. Hamilton had the good luck to be inside his rivals so was turned around with them, as they made a dash back to the beach.

Poor Kovalainen's extra distance moved him from first to last, but he took the defeat in good spirits

Paddock Life - Melbourne edition

By Jonathan Noble

Amid all the hoo-haa over the future of the Australian Grand Prix, there is little doubt for most of the Formula One fraternity that Melbourne is the absolute perfect place to start the season.

It may be a bit of a trek to the other side of the world, but when the pre-season media events are talking places on the beach in glorious sunshine, rather than a cold transporter at Silverstone, you can see why everyone loves it so much.

This year, it was the turn of McLaren title sponsor Vodafone to kick start proceedings with an appearance for Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen at Williamstown Beach, a little way out from downtown Melbourne.

On a pretty blustery day, the McLaren duo were put up against local sporting stars Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup from V8 Supercars, and Luke Power and Adam Simpson from the Australian Football League, in a beach kayak race.

Putting that many sporting heroes together in one place was always like to turn the fun event into something serious - so it was no surprise to see Kovalainen grab his opportunity to put one over his new teammate as he tore off into the distance away from the start line.

However, just as luck deserted him on Sunday afternoon in the race with bad timing on the safety car and then accidentally hitting his pitlane speed limiter, so Kovalainen had misfortune this time out too.

He took the wrong route at the turnaround point, going outside a big marker buoy rather than inside it. Hamilton had the good luck to be inside his rivals so was turned around with them, as they made a dash back to the beach.

Poor Kovalainen's extra distance moved him from first to last, but he took the defeat in good spirits

The bit about Rubes and his shoes was BS.....I was outside the Stoke House....all the Honda team members had recycled tyre sandals on....hand crafted from the lands of inner Mongolia....

Thanks, love the bolded part!

I wonder, do you enjoy reading my mind? xD

Ever since I came back you've been posting exactly my thoughts on almost everything :o

Ever since I came back you've been posting exactly my thoughts on almost everything :o

:o Are you the same person?? That would be Freaky squared.... :P

I'm just saving you the effort :)