Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Safety In F1

http://www.totalf1.com/fullstory/view/2492..._to_get_killed/

Is JYS jumping the gun, calling "wolf", being paranoid, or is he correct in calling this up?

Are we all getting complacent about how strong and safe F1 cars are? Just recently there was a death in V8 Supercars...a class where one would assume the driver is better protected, what with a roof over his head and all. Would Timo have survived his off had he come down nose first and flipped? I'm not so sure.

JYS was in NZ before heading over to Melbourne and he was speaking exactly what was written in this article on a NZ Motorsport show.

Personally, I think he is right. I think the drivers, teams, and fans are all too complacent. I think that possibly the last serious shunt F1 has had was Michael breaking his legs.

It was nothing but sheer luck that Kubica survived Canada last year...how he basically walked away is testament to the cars survival pod, but throughout the whole crash his head was exposed, and he was just lucky he went off when he did, and not a second later for which he would have surely hit the concrete barrier head on.

And I too think that Kimi and Lewis should be part of the GPDA.

At first I thought that JYS was me. lol (name)

I think he's alittle harsh to be targeting Lewis, as much as I dislike him.

I do think we need to show a little more concern if we start getting races like melbourne on a frequent basis.

Did you know that our sun is a star and at some point it will burn out and go supernova?

I think Jackie Stewart was too fast on this one. I mean we had only 1 race without driver aids and it was a disaster but I don't think that was the reason.

The two big accidents - Massa/DC - one of them was just too optimistic...or maybe both

Glock - I'm not sure if TC has much to do with it - rather off track surface did.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to wet races this season - I'm gonna bet a lot of money on "Massa DNF" :D

I think people look at Sir Stewart and kind of shrug him off, saying he is an old driver and does not know what he is talking about but this is a case of those who do not learn from history.
People take the danger of the sport too lightly. Love him or hate him Schumi fought with all his power and influence for safety as part of the GPDA and that along with turning Ferrari around is one of his biggest accomplishments. The problem is though that safety needs to evolve and what we found safe even three or four years ago is not safe anymore.

I think a great comparison would be Ferrari's engine reliability. From France 02 to Japan 06 they did not have one engine breakdown during a race but the breakdown happened when it did the most damage. I think a truly bad accident will be come sooner or later and seeing as how Senna's death is now almost 14 years ago and Ralf's 04 crash is now 4 years ago almost something will happen and it will happen when you expect it the least.

in the heyday of the 70's there used to be 4 deaths a year on average, Stewart lived through that, I think he knows what he is talking about. I forgot where I read this, I think it was F1 racing, they had a story about Stewart and in it he said after a while he no longer try and become friends with the other drivers b/c he knew that some of them would not make it to the end of the season and it was too hard on him when his fellow racers and friends died.

JYS is right in what he said that Lewis should be apart of the GPDA, in my opinion. But I would be interested to hear exactly why Lewis isn't apart of the GPDA.

We must never ever think that safety is something that will take care of itself, because it won't. The GPDA needs strong individuals like Fernando, Perdo and Mark to stand up for the drivers and be their voice.

Lewis would be a welcome addition to the GPDA and then one day in the future when the time is right be a director. It will be his duty to the sport that by that time would have given him so much.

JYS is right in what he said that Lewis should be apart of the GPDA, in my opinion. But I would be interested to hear exactly why Lewis isn't apart of the GPDA.

We must never ever think that safety is something that will take care of itself, because it won't. The GPDA needs strong individuals like Fernando, Perdo and Mark to stand up for the drivers and be their voice.

Lewis would be a welcome addition to the GPDA and then one day in the future when the time is right be a director. It will be his duty to the sport that by that time would have given him so much.

I am with you on this one, Nathan (and JYS) all drivers should be a part of the GPDA, if not active just to show your support to the organisation

Yes - why are Kimi and Lewis NOT part of the GPDA? Does anyone know? I know JV was never in it 'coz he's a rock'n'roll rebel and all....but these two????

Yes - why are Kimi and Lewis NOT part of the GPDA? Does anyone know? I know JV was never in it 'coz he's a rock'n'roll rebel and all....but these two????

I think Jacques was in and out of the GPDA up until the drama of "Rascasse Gate" (Monaco 2006) were he finally decided the GPDA wasn't for him, with Michael still remaining on as a director or whatever position he held at the time.

Kimi simply isn't interested in any F1 politics even if it stands to benefit his own safety. It's just the way Kimi is. But rest assured Kimi wouldn't whinge if he were ever hurt while driving.

Here is a quote from Mark Webber in regards to Lewis not being apart of the GPDA:

"One day he might be in the barriers and needs someone. I think it is a little bit naive of some young guys not to want to support. You don't have to be a totally active member, we're only asking for 20 minutes per fortnight"

Lewis says he's too busy to join, I'd post the article, but I'm lazy.

TWENTY minutes a fortnight ! ! ! ! ! :o Is that all Mark can handle? ? ? ? :P

:lol:

Well they are certainly stronger and appear more crash resistant than say in the 80's, but I agree that being assumed to be safe, and actually safe are two different things. Law of averages says, one day....one day....

Yup, the most dangerous thing for F1 is a false sense of security, and Ide.

And now that he's not around they should start working on the other thing XD

Which one?

Sense or Security?

:eusa_think:

Yup, the most dangerous thing for F1 is a false sense of security, and Ide.

Yes. I remember saying at the begining of the '06 season; "Beware the Ide of March"

Which one?

Sense or Security?

:eusa_think:

Yes. I remember saying at the begining of the '06 season; "Beware the Ide of March"

Brillaint! :D

What the hell does the Y stand for in JYS?

Yawn

:lol: I just noticed the Webber quote on your sig, Nathan, as good as Permane's :thbup:

:lol::lol:

Yeah that quote was on the front pages of most Australian newpapers last Sunday, I though it was worthy of adding to the sig for sure.

Glad you think so too mate :thbup: