Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Safety In F1

I heard that quote on TV, actually I said it a few times, now my mum remembers about RB's reliability issues even if she doesn't want to :lol:

:lol::lol:

Yeah that quote was on the front pages of most Australian newpapers last Sunday, I though it was worthy of adding to the sig for sure.

Glad you think so too mate :thbup:

:lol: That is a great quote! The best quotes always come from Red Bull with the driver pairing they have, good stuff.

JYS is right. Somebody will be killed. That's racing. If anyone is queasy at the concept, I would suggest watching golf.

JYS is right. Somebody will be killed. That's racing. If anyone is queasy at the concept, I would suggest watching golf.

Today F1 is a safe motorsport, but there is a lot of work to do not only with the cars (rearview mirror was spotted by DC) but mainly with the tracks. Things like melbourne bumps are suitable for the X games not for an F1 race!

We're more likely to see one of the geezers on the Senior PGA keel over on course before we see the next death in F1.

We're all going to die someday.

Anyway, why listen to someone whose initials pronounce phonetically could potentially be jizz?

The sport is safe, and they'll continue to make it more safe, and it will get safer as it gets more dangerous (faster), and I don't really think a driver saying they don't want to get a boo boo is going to change F1 because the FIA has been focused on safety since Senna's death, and with the heavy sponsor money and most of the fans being driver fanboys, that just reinforces the FIA's beliefs to be safe.

F1 is not a sport where saftey is overlooked, and it never will be. It's a big business, they aren't going to try to ruin their image. I am more concerned for the local short track racers of America, where things like SAFER barriers are too expensive to exist. Maybe they don't go as fast on short tracks, but Jerry Nadeau damn near lost his life without a SAFER wall on a short track. We saw a tragic death with John Blewett, III this year at Thompson in Modifieds, just a few years after Tiger Tom Baldwin died in a similar car at the same track. That's a sport that needs drivers to say stuff, because they need to know how important it is, and that is why I'm thankful guys like Bobby Labonte and his dirt late model team are pioneering saftey efforts there. Drag racing as well needed to open their eyes, and it's nice that John Force and Ford stepped up after Eric Medlen's death. My point is, no one should be worried about F1's safety, because they've got it covered on their own. There's a lot of other racing series that do need help, and I hope they get it.

@ Mike : F1 being a dangerous sport is one thing. Letting accidents happen out of pure indifference about the risks involved. Nothing wrong to always be searching for ways to improve the spectacle and safety as well. You can have both.

@ Eric: As for fans becoming drivers fanboys, I disagree. There always has been fanboys of every driver. F1 drivers are few and stay around long enough to create a group of fans. As subject to abuse as it is, it is also part of the charm of F1. Most legends of F1 had rather unique personalities (with the possible exceptions of Hill Jr, Rosberg Sr. and Mansell. They had the personality of a dishwasher).

Safe racing don't exist.

Safety parades of racecars do.

I don't think you can have both. Drivers who care about safety aren't aggressive because they're scared of accidents.

Making it safe in the event of an accident: good.

Accident prevention (as in parading): bad.

If bullfighting were that safe it would disappear.

Shouldn't they change the name of bullfighting? Unless it's an argument with a politician, the name doesn't fit does it? I mean, if one person really did a one-on-one, fair, unarmed fight with a bull, they'd lose. Aint it more like 'bull-taunting-by-sticking-pointy-things-in-it-then-run-and-let-someone-else-distract-it'?

Safety in F1 - it's safer than it's ever been, and it's possible to have it safer without losing the spectacle. But as long as the present FIA behaves as it does, then the spectacle will be harmed.

Shouldn't they change the name of bullfighting? Unless it's an argument with a politician, the name doesn't fit does it? I mean, if one person really did a one-on-one, fair, unarmed fight with a bull, they'd lose. Aint it more like 'bull-taunting-by-sticking-pointy-things-in-it-then-run-and-let-someone-else-distract-it'?

I have an idea for a new sport; "Let's kick the sh!t out of a brainless cowardly cruel matador c*ck sucker". Quite a catchy name, don't you think?

I have an idea for a new sport; "Let's kick the sh!t out of a brainless cowardly cruel matador c*ck sucker". Quite a catchy name, don't you think?

:D

Nah, I'd still like to see an unarmed Twatador locked in a ring with a (un-drugged!) bull for half an hour ;) Bet the viewing figures would go up. Hmm, a whole new meaning to 'getting tossed'? :lol:

:D

Nah, I'd still like to see an unarmed Twatador locked in a ring with a (un-drugged!) bull for half an hour

Better known as Coulthard in Q3 at Indy.

Today F1 is a safe motorsport, but there is a lot of work to do not only with the cars (rearview mirror was spotted by DC) but mainly with the tracks. Things like melbourne bumps are suitable for the X games not for an F1 race!

F1 today is SAFER not SAFE. There's no such thing as safe motorsport. And I agree, someone will be killed.

It is up to you to change it, we do not say a word about fights here in Spain when talking about bulls. Probably you think it is much dangerous and green fighting 300 (dogs and funny people) against a little fox. Fox hunting? Shouldn't they change the name of fox hunting? Any ideas?

It wouldn't be that easy, unless you bring those 300 (dogs and funny people) to uncowardly and piously do it.

It is up to you to change it, we do not say a word about fights here in Spain when talking about bulls. Probably you think it is much dangerous and green fighting 300 (dogs and funny people) against a little fox. Fox hunting? Shouldn't they change the name of fox hunting? Any ideas?

It wouldn't be that easy, unless you bring those 300 (dogs and funny people) to uncowardly and piously do it.

Danger is not the issue, cruelty is. I hope we agree that both of our Nation's blood sports are backward and unnecessary.

There is no such thing as a safe motorsport.

@ Mike : F1 being a dangerous sport is one thing. Letting accidents happen out of pure indifference about the risks involved. Nothing wrong to always be searching for ways to improve the spectacle and safety as well. You can have both.

You can have both to a degree. At some point you must decide which you want more, racing or safety. Racing cars is inherently dangerous. If you increase the safety, you decrease the racing. That is an immutable fact. I think that today we have a good balance of the two. Any more safety and the racing will hurt.

Nobody but the truly honest will admit that one part of the thrill of watching motorsports is to see these drivers dodge death. The sport is more exciting when there's the looming threat of injury or death. That is perhaps sad, but it's true. When motorsports become the ultimate in safety, people will cease to watch it.

Danger is not the issue, cruelty is. I hope we agree that both of our Nation's blood sports are backward and unnecessary.

We do but I don't think bullfighting or hunting is that cruel.

The difference between what is cruel and what is not cruel is in the purpose behind it. If the purpose is to feed yourself and your family, then hunting a deer is far from cruel. If the purpose of killing a bull is to provide entertainment, then that is cruel.

The difference between what is cruel and what is not cruel is in the purpose behind it. If the purpose is to feed yourself and your family, then hunting a deer is far from cruel. If the purpose of killing a bull is to provide entertainment, then that is cruel.

Well, since we're talking about bulls and foxes i'm going to suggest that the sport of killing them is cruel. Hunting for survival is something different.

You do not think that bullfighting is cruel? Can you tell me what you think is cruel in the context of animal harm?

Well, since we're talking about bulls and foxes i'm going to suggest that the sport of killing them is cruel. Hunting for survival is something different.

You do not think that bullfighting is cruel? Can you tell me what you think is cruel in the context of animal harm?

Maybe he'll go for the even more typical Spanish throwing of a goat from a church's bell tower xD

I personally hate those things, and I'm glad I live in a place where bullfighting is the least popular "sport". Can't say the same for the rest of Spain :S

I am not saying it is not cruel, of course it can be cruel but you can find people having a 40 Kg. dog in small flat in a city, you can see birds and rabbits living in a box, you can breed hens in a little warehouse with lights on all day to make them lay eggs... Bulls are breed in the countryside, thery grow free in a huge grassland and these kind of bulls would disappear if bullfighting disappeared. I don't enjoy bullfighting but I know people who does and they are not cruel.

Maybe he'll go for the even more typical Spanish throwing of a goat from a church's bell tower xD

I personally hate those things, and I'm glad I live in a place where bullfighting is the least popular "sport". Can't say the same for the rest of Spain :S

I think you have not a clue about throwing a goat from the top of a church, that was very popular sport in the South of Catalonia, so it is typical Spanish because Catalonia (where you live) is supposed to be Spain. But now nobody does it in Spain, it was forbidden many years ago. Bullfighting is very popular in Barcelona, one of the best arenas in the world. They paly bullfighting in so many cities there as they do in some other places in Spain. There is a big difference between bullfighting in a big city and in a little village, they are normally very cruel in the villages.

I am not saying it is not cruel, of course it can be cruel but you can find people having a 40 Kg. dog in small flat in a city, you can see birds and rabbits living in a box, you can breed hens in a little warehouse with lights on all day to make them lay eggs... Bulls are breed in the countryside, thery grow free in a huge grassland and these kind of bulls would disappear if bullfighting disappeared. I don't enjoy bullfighting but I know people who does and they are not cruel.

I think you have not a clue about throwing a goat from the top of a church, that was very popular sport in the South of Catalonia, so it is typical Spanish because Catalonia (where you live) is supposed to be Spain. But now nobody does it in Spain, it was forbidden many years ago. Bullfighting is very popular in Barcelona, one of the best arenas in the world. They paly bullfighting in so many cities there as they do in some other places in Spain. There is a big difference between bullfighting in a big city and in a little village, they are normally very cruel in the villages.

Well, it's true I have no clue because I'm not even Spanish, but I meant that as a bit of a joke. I didn't know it was done here, that's for sure, in fact I read (too much time ago it seems) that it was done someplace else.

And bullfighting is too hard to deal with sadly, but Catalonia is one of the places where people are more rational about those things in my opinion.

But sorry for being that clueless, maybe nothing I said is true... :S