Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Formula One Returns To The Bbc

F1 UK coverage returns to the BBC

Formula One television coverage in the UK will return next year to the BBC following 12 seasons with ITV, the Formula One Administration announced today.

The BBC lost its rights to Formula One after the 1996 season, and it was since covered by ITV, with Martin Brundle serving as commentator for the past 12 years, alongside former BBC commentator Murray Walker and later ITV commentator James Allen.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has now concluded a five-year deal that will see Formula One return to BBC Sports, which will also have exclusive rights to radio, mobile and internet broadcasting.

"I am delighted to conclude this new deal with the BBC," Ecclestone commented. "It is an exciting time in Formula One and the BBC has some innovative new ideas to consolidate and expand our UK fan base."

Dominic Coles, BBC Sport Director of Sport Rights, added: "The biggest motorsporting event in the world is returning home after 12 years.

"We were delighted when Bernie Ecclestone approached us about the return of F1 to the BBC. F1 is a crown jewel of sports broadcasting, so to bring the rights back to their traditional home from 2009 is tremendously exciting.

"Fans will be able to enjoy uninterrupted, state of the art and innovative coverage from BBC Sport, across all of our TV, radio and new media platforms, for the first time since 1996."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what happens to James Allen and the rest of the ITV gang?

To those of you in England........is BBCsport a free channel?

Yeah well thats the only thing I'm thinking about really is the commentary line-up.

Maybe Johnathon Palmer and James Allen?

That would be one physicated line-up.

Martin Brundle and Ben Collins?

Or what about David Coulthard?

He has got alot of experience in formula One and his bound to retire at one stage, so why not join the warm surrounds of the commentary box?

What about if the Stig became a commentator, his got BBC connections, and he can peddle a car, If he commentated It would be a deffing silence, and I'm not too sure either if he would be allowed to the BBC clothing.

The only thing I care about is the Commentary line-up

U know who could be the pit lane reporter?

Mark Blundell. No need for weight watchers!

Hmmm....my thoughts were, so what happens to us down in the colonies? We get the ITV feed now on Sky...(used to be on free to air TVNZ as short as three seasons back). I must have seen BBC coverage, but that would have been..oh...12 years ago ( :P ), and I can't remember back that far.

If poss, they have to keep Martin, but I'm not anamoured over losing James....DC, as suggested, would be cool - he's a funny guy - I remember watching him on Parkinson...that was funny....and he made a few good quips on practice day in Aussie to the CCTV feed at the circuit right of the bat.

If they change one thing, please, please, please let it be the graphics....take a leaf from Nascar and other American series...their graphics are, well, look like they were made this century, not the 1980's. And make the lap counter go up, not frigging down....I know it goes down, but I still have to stop and remember that, and one can get quite confused at 1am on a Monday morning...it's so more natural to think they've done 10 of 57 laps...not 46 of 57 laps to go...and it still says 1/57 on the last lap...change it to "final" lap already! I keep thinking the drivers have another lap to make a last lap lunge for a pass....

Oh the humanity!

What about Richard Hammond as commentator....i like his voice overs on Top Gear!

Just as ITV give us the fantastic live practice/quali/race feed on the net an dit's gonna get taken away?! nooooo

Oh...are they doing that? Have to check it out for this weekend for practise...especially third session when Ferrari and McLaren top the tanks up and do a Q3 simulation...then you know who's on the ball...

Jeremy clarkson,Richard Hammond and James may to commentate!

Clarkson wouldn't let a word get in edge wise and May would be going on about how Ferrari/Macca/BMW/RBR/TR/SA/Honda/Toyota/Renault/F.India/Williams aren't being very sensible, or some such non-sense, like he always does :P

The BBC has secured the television rights to show Formula 1 in the UK, starting next year. The five-year deal includes radio, Internet and and mobile phone rights. It is 12 years since the BBC lost the deal to rival ITV. The deal comes at a time when interest in F1 in Britain is rising steeply as Lewis Hamilton campaigns to win the World Championship.

ITV had a deal for 2009 and 2010 but it seems that the company decided to forego this because it has too many other commitments.

"I think maybe they will have their hands full with other things," said Bernie Ecclestone. "Maybe the BBC can service us a bit better."

ITV said that it was "a straightforward commercial decision for ITV and we are pleased that F1 will continue to be broadcast free-to-air".

It is believed that the decision is possibly related to negotiations currently going on over the rights to the soccer Champions League, where the two companies have been bidding against one another. BSkyB, an offshoot of Sky, has bought most of the rights for the 2009 to 2012 period for $480m and the two terrestrial broadcasters have been squabbling over the remaining games. It is possible that the BBC has decided to trade the soccer for the F1. ITV has already made a big investment in soccer with the purchase of live FA Cup and England rights.

So did ITV jump or were they pushed?

While ITV have claimed that they voluntarily withdrew from their commitment to show F1 until 2010, Bernie Ecclestone has intimated that he rejected the broadcaster after becoming disillusioned with their service. The only certainty is that, as of next season, F1 is returning to the BBC for the first time in 13 years.

The deal signed between the Beeb and Ecclestone's Formula One Administration Ltd company is believed to be worth in the region of

One question...whats soccer?

22 not so good players(read Chelsea)..........3 sometimes not so definetly good referees on a green patch of earth with a beautiful round shaped object known as a ball..............kicking it around with about approx 50000 people madly cheering for about 90 odd mins. Kinda Boring.

BBC, don't think about it too hard, just get Murray. Yes, yes i know......but just do it. For one year. Or two if it works. Okay, just one then.

And get Martin. Hit people if you have to.

Apart from Murray and Martin, and Murray and James before that, and no ad breaks, the BBC coverage really wasn't much good. Let's not get misty eyed. Jonathan Palmer anyone? Joining the race 4 laps in because the footy went into extra time? Not showing the race live because the tennis/snooker/golf was on? I'm not convinced yet.

At least if that occurs we have the website to fall back on, and in the digital era we have the ability to switch to any channel, so i cant see problems anymore :-D

Apart from Murray and Martin, and Murray and James before that, and no ad breaks, the BBC coverage really wasn't much good. Let's not get misty eyed. Jonathan Palmer anyone? Joining the race 4 laps in because the footy went into extra time? Not showing the race live because the tennis/snooker/golf was on? I'm not convinced yet.

Those were the dark days though, Russ. Television has become much more about delivering for the customer and keeping their attention. Plus, it's competetive. I never thought that BBC was going to lose it in the first place but i'm sure they won't be so complacent this time.

The biggest advantage is uninterrupted coverage. To absorb yourself completely with no breaks for a couple of hours will be wonderful.

At least if that occurs we have the website to fall back on, and in the digital era we have the ability to switch to any channel, so i cant see problems anymore :-D

That's hardly the point though. We need a good quality of coverage. We pay a licence.

Meh, all the same to me. Happy about no ad-breaks, happier if they get Brundle and Steve Rider, happiest if they get rid of Allen and Kravitz.

I think the coverage will be good, the BBC have to make it good.

Whilst I doubt Murray Walker would be back, he's an old man now. I am just excited by not having any adverts - ITV's biggest problem - they have a habit of cutting to break as something interesting happens, Also we get those stupid bloody advert 'commas'. Which are just an annoyance.

But also the 'Red Button' at last a chance to see multiple battles through the field or alternate commentaries (often 5 live commentary) that should be good.

But, and i'm saying this off the back of when MOTD came back and when Ski Sunday came back and Cricket came back. They will have to bring THAT theme tune back. The Chain!

Oh yes, like Sunday afternoons of old. And hopefully the shots of the car unveiling and shots of drivers eyes.

ITV may have good features. But they've never been able to match the BBC package.

They will have to bring THAT theme tune back. The Chain!

Here's the lyrics form my 'Rumours' sleeve,

Dum, da da da, da da da da da da.

Dum, da da da, da da da da da da. (hi-hat close noise; t,t,tat,ta....t,t,tat,ta)

(single note guitar)do,do,do,do,do,do,do,do,do,do,do,do

Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain, keep us together!

Bummin all The Shadows

That'll be great! No more stupid coffee break ads so there'll just be non-stop racing so we don't have to miss out on crashes that happened during ads!