Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duest

Schumacher Weighs In On Safety Car Rule

M. Schumacher slams unfair safety car rules

Thursday 20 March at 11:28 : Michael Schumacher has slammed F1's new safety car rules, arguing that they punish innocent drivers while unfairly benefiting others.

The seven time world champion derided the mandatory closing of the pitlane upon deployment of the safety car as "moronic", in an interview with the German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.

Having watched the Australian grand prix from his Swiss home, the Ferrari advisor said: "I saw Kovalainen drive a perfect race but lose a podium because the safety car went onto the track at an unfavourable moment for him."

Another driver notably affected by the rule in Melbourne was Rubens Barrichello, who was out of fuel at the deployment of a SC period and therefore punished when he illegally entered and exited the pitlane.

"In my opinion this is not a good rule," Schumacher said.

The mandatory closing of the pit lane was introduced so that drivers do not unsafely speed around the circuit to rush a pitstop at the beginning of a SC period.

But Schumacher thinks there are better ways to police such speedy drivers.

"For example you could determine with the sector times whether a driver was going too fast," he said.

"With these rules, sheer coincidence plays too big a role for my liking," Schumacher added.

Click for Article

Too right! It's good to see a respected F1 identity, that need not worry about the wrath of the FIA, speak his mind on this issue.

Click for Article

Too right! It's good to see a respected F1 identity, that need not worry about the wrath of the FIA, speak his mind on this issue.

This rule will be goooood until it is Hamilton who lose a point or two.

Just wait and see.

It's pretty amazing how much nonsense rules fia's governing body has come up with through the years.

I'm not crazy about the rule either. So what if the drivers speed around to grab a pit stop - they're speeding anyway! Just keep a local yellow near any crash site and let the drivers pit if they need to.

He's right. And I'm surprised the FIA don't actively seek the opinions of mega experienced drivers that have just retired - they're in the perfect position to comment on how to spice up the action and keep the rules as fair as poss for all. Apart from parking rules :P

Interesting that Shu also commented on Massa being responsible for his nerf with Coulfart in Oz. I thought he might have sided with Masstoid 'cos of the Ferrari thang.

Schumi once again speaks for the F1 fans! He's right about Barrichello being punished as I doubt he had one clue the pit lane was closed cos of the safety car, stupid rule & cost him points which he deserved as it was his best race in a Honda!

This rule will be goooood until it is Hamilton who lose a point or two.

Just wait and see.

F*ck wit.

He's right of course. It used to be great seeing drivers take advantage of a safety car situation. It's a little out of character to see Michael being so outspoken and proof of his love of the sport that he can be grieved by a McLaren driver having his race ruined.

F*ck wit.

He's right of course. It used to be great seeing drivers take advantage of a safety car situation. It's a little out of character to see Michael being so outspoken and proof of his love of the sport that he can be grieved by a McLaren driver having his race ruined.

What does it matter whether it's a McLaren driver? Last year it was Massa, it can happen to anyone, and I guess Michael just put himself in Kovalainen's place and thought it was awful.

What does it matter whether it's a McLaren driver? Last year it was Massa, it can happen to anyone, and I guess Michael just put himself in Kovalainen's place and thought it was awful.

Last year SC ruined Alonso's race in Canada and nobody said a word about it, Massa was DSQ because of a red light and I think it happened in Canada as well. Anyway, Schumacher is right and that rule so stupid it should be discarded ASAP.

I don't see your point. I agree with you.

Last year SC ruined Alonso's race in Canada and nobody said a word about it, Massa was DSQ because of a red light and I think it happened in Canada as well. Anyway, Schumacher is right and that rule so stupid it should be discarded ASAP.
I think Massa was DQed for crossing the white line while exiting the pits under a safety car lap, I wonder was it Fisi that was behind or in front of Massa, either way both gots DQed, it's true that the SC did die down the hype of the race but lets not forget the 1st corner where for some reason Alonso kept going off because for some reason his car that day was so crap, Sato overtook him in what's basically a 2006 Honda sh1tbox that surprisingly won the Hungarian GP yet Lewis won the race :eusa_think: !

I think Massa was DQed for crossing the white line while exiting the pits under a safety car lap, I wonder was it Fisi that was behind or in front of Massa, either way both gots DQed, it's true that the SC did die down the hype of the race but lets not forget the 1st corner where for some reason Alonso kept going off because for some reason his car that day was so crap, Sato overtook him in what's basically a 2006 Honda sh1tbox that surprisingly won the Hungarian GP yet Lewis won the race :eusa_think: !

What's your point?

What's your point?
It's just weird that Alonso did terrible yet Hamilton won the race on Alonso's set up! Maybe Alonso knew deep down he was gonna do terrible in that race.

:lol:

he starts to use this mouth to drive.

:lol:

I have no idea what you are talking about but you seem happy. That's nice.