Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yurp

Am I Jumping The Gun?

Taking into account the BMW performance at Aus and more importantly Mal, considering heat and track layout (Mal & Bah - plenty of long straight where pure grunt really helps) - I think the BMW's will be on for another good performance in Bahrain.

I see them possibly taking a brief lead in the constructors if Mac's have another bad day - although that's not my prediction.

On the other hand - macs have to sort out their balance on the better tyre (if again, that's the harder compound) - if they can do that, they might stay safe - from what I heard Hamilton preferred the softer for the grip it gave - to me that says macs didn't have enough mechanical grip from the car and so he felt he had to make up for that by using tyres that weren't good for long stints at those temperatures - doesn't bode well.

So here's my neck on the chopping board...

After Bahrain...

Constructors:

McLaren - 33 (9 points)

BMW - 32 (13 points)

Ferrari - 25 (14 points)

After that, we're into Spain and BMW might see themselves falling back a bit.

And malaysia ended up being 10-deg cooler than aussie...

As for mechanical grip, macca need their bull horns back

Yes, you are jumping the gun

:huh: It's called a rhetorical question fella :rolleyes: of course I am.

But let's get some discussion here - that was the point.

Do you mean you don't expect BMW's to go well?

Or to make it an easier call...

Do you reckon BMW's or Mac's will come away from Bahrain with more points?

That's where I'm sticking my neck out in thinking BMW may come away with more - I could well be wrong - the odds are against me, so I probably will be.

(I've got nothing to do for the next two weeks, so why not make some foolhardy predictions?)

As for mechanical grip, macca need their bull horns back

yeah - good point

:huh: It's called a rhetorical question fella :rolleyes: of course I am.

But let's get some discussion here - that was the point.

Do you mean you don't expect BMW's to go well?

Or to make it an easier call...

Do you reckon BMW's or Mac's will come away from Bahrain with more points?

That's where I'm sticking my neck out in thinking BMW may come away with more - I could well be wrong - the odds are against me, so I probably will be.

(I've got nothing to do for the next two weeks, so why not make some foolhardy predictions?)

Sorry mate, I don't think BMW is on Mclaren's level so I don't see any point in comparing the two. If not for the penalty at Malaysia it would have been Ferrari, Mclaren, Mclaren, BMW - The BMW has been fortunate so far, but doesn't have Mclaren/Ferrari pace just yet. Will they catch up? Only if the others standstill and they wont

;)

I think that the BMW does have real pace so far this season and I also think that's likely to continue. It's true that no other team will stand still in terms of development but the beamers are very close and, with a driver like Kubica, I'm pretty sure we'll see them at the top. Whether they will overtake Mclaren or not remains to be seen but let's be honest, when it comes to it Mclaren know how to get their finger out and get the job done!

Sorry mate, I don't think BMW is on Mclaren's level so I don't see any point in comparing the two. If not for the penalty at Malaysia it would have been Ferrari, Mclaren, Mclaren, BMW - The BMW has been fortunate so far, but doesn't have Mclaren/Ferrari pace just yet. Will they catch up? Only if the others standstill and they wont

;)

I agree.

Neither and the team most likely prone to mistakes atm are Ferrari with Felipe. BMW will be strong but I dont think they will be leading either championships after Bahrain.

Kubica said they are lacking in top speed so maybe the straights are not to their advantage. I do agree they seem to have some genuine pace.

Now, now, BMW are closer than ever,... so close that any small mistake means they climb on the podium. Heck, even Trulli was up there.

I trust Kimi and Kova to do well and hopefully Kubica too... iow, a repeat.

Pretty sure Kubica said the BMW lacked straight line speed, so I don't see them winning Bahrain, they could still snatch a podium maybe? Depends if one of the big two manage to screw up again how they'll look in the WCC after it.

I can see BMW Sauber winning more than 1 race this sesaon. They are capable of keeping up with Ferrari and McLaren in terms of development.

I can see BMW Sauber winning more than 1 race this sesaon. They are capable of keeping up with Ferrari and McLaren in terms of development.

But they are behind them at the moment (and although people will say they are close, it's still ten seconds or more over a race), so they have to be quicker at developement or design a fundamentally better car. At the moment BMW have a very quick car in terms of qualifying, but lack the race pace of Mclaren and especially Ferrari.

Anyway, I think Bahrain is a nice track for Ferrari, what with the testing they did there. I think BMW have been a little lucky so far what with Ferrari retirements and Mclaren penalties, let's wait until we have a totally normal race, then we're likely to find 2 red cars and 2 Macs in the top 4, as usual. BMW are closer than ever though and will score big points and podiums this season, no doubt.

But they are behind them at the moment (and although people will say they are close, it's still ten seconds or more over a race), so they have to be quicker at developement or design a fundamentally better car. At the moment BMW have a very quick car in terms of qualifying, but lack the race pace of Mclaren and especially Ferrari.

Anyway, I think Bahrain is a nice track for Ferrari, what with the testing they did there. I think BMW have been a little lucky so far what with Ferrari retirements and Mclaren penalties, let's wait until we have a totally normal race, then we're likely to find 2 red cars and 2 Macs in the top 4, as usual. BMW are closer than ever though and will score big points and podiums this season, no doubt.

Nick set the fastest lap of the race. I hear.

This is so good for my fingers; I agree again.

You know you're jumping the gun ;) but yes BMW seems to be pretty close to Macca and Ferrari. Anyhow, it's going to be difficiult for them to win the first one for two reasons:

1) Even when they are close they are not as fast as the top teams. Something weird have to happened, in normal races you can have 1 or 2 Ferrari-Macca out of the fight for whatever the reason but if Kimi or/and Lewis have "normal" races they are going to be out of reach (at least taking into account what we've seen so far)

2) I like Heidfeld and Kovy but i don't think they are good enough to make a non winning car (BMW it's not IMO) a winning one (only KR, LH and FA can do that)

After that, we're into Spain and BMW might see themselves falling back a bit.

Yup I think that will happen gradually. Your bet that BMW might briefly lead the WCC is a sensible one in that it sounds outrageous but is not totally impossible. Nevertheless, I think McLaren will still out-score BMW in Bahrain and scupper your chances.

interesting

my actual prediction is that macs will continue to hold the championship but BMW will apply more pressure in Bahrain.

McLaren - 33 (9 points)

BMW - 32 (13 points)

Ferrari - 25 (14 points)

One further thought - Heidfeld posted the fastest lap - as was pointed out earlier.

Plus - put Kimi in a BMW and I think he'd squeeze that extra 10 secnds out of it over race distance - then again kimi was on go slow mode at the end of the race - so maybe the difference is more than 10 seconds over 50+ laps - we'll see.

(how to sit on the fence) ;)

BMW are doing very well so far, they will be a force to recon with, it is interesting that they have actually been the most consistent of the top teams so far. I think they will also do well in Bahrain, how well is debatable but they actually had better pace over the weekend then Maclaren.

BMW might very well very pip Maclaren or Ferrari in the WCC stakes. At the moment though Ferrari has the biggest problem. They obviously have a very fast car because the last time they actually managed to win the Malaysian GP was in 2004, although we will properly see the teams reacting and peaking differently at different tracks. But even though Ferrari might have a very good car and should by all rights do well in both the WDC and the WCC, it certainly doesn't help their WCC campaign when only one driver is stacking up the points.

As much as I admire what BMW are doing, I can only see them picking the pieces up when McLaren and Ferrari struggle.

As a result, that won't be enough to win them a race generally speaking and keeps them out of winning the WCC.